Chromebox Limitations?
Last post I'm making about this. Just attempting to not make a huge mistake and waste time, and so I'm doing everything I can. Thank you to everyone who has helped so far.
With the Chromebox, since that seems to be the one I'm going to have to get, I plan on putting openelec on it. The model I am looking at purchasing, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IT1W...PDKIKX0DER Model number: M004U .
So, I guess my question is: With OpenELEC on that particular model, I will be able to run XBMC/KODI, with whatever addons and with an external hard drive plugged into the unit? The only REAL issue with it, is that it can't easily run netflix/amazon prime? What are the limitations with the Chromebox? Will I be able to play all of my movies?

Other then that, I'm pretty much good to go and will purchase it tomorrow morning.
Why are you starting another thread about this?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-10-08, 07:28)nickr Wrote: Why are you starting another thread about this?

It's a different question in a way? I'm not really asking for suggestions anymore, so much as asking for the limitations of the box. I apologize if it seems bothersome, but the information is not really entry-level friendly. I've dug around for a while, attempted comparisons, and I don't know what I'm doing really. I'd much rather pay someone to do all this, but that doesn't appear to be an option either.
Well how are we to know whether it will play all your media if we know nothing about your media?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I think you can find limitations by reading the threads and note the issues that are posted and how they were solved or what workarounds have been proposed.
nickr advised you to read the EZ setup thread.... now if you understand most of what is said and done in that thread you're fine.

A request for a list of limitations only make sense if all your requirements are known...
You want to do HEVC 4K the answer is no...... but HEVC 4K will be another year before you can find movie content that makes a difference compared to 1080p so maybe not part of your requirements.
i dont even think he has read about openelec and it's limitation compared to say xbmcbuntu.
No netflix/amazon prime addon exist, now ok what about watch in a browser? OpenElec has a limited chromium browser build in the unofficial OpenElec REPO which has bugs, is insecure and dev specified NO NETFLIIX SUPPORT.
You''re best bet is dual boot chrome os and openelec.

There are 2 dedicated threads for the chromeboxes, next time find them and post in one of them.
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Chromebox Limitations?0