Zotac CI320 or Asus Chromebox
Hi,

I am about to choose a hardware for my home server and have serious doubts. I was just about buy Zotac CI320 (actually did, but they cancelled my order), when I began to consider Chromebox again.

Here's my use case:
  1. This will be a Debian or Ubuntu based home server (I have long, +15 years experience with Linux)
  2. It will serve as a WiFi access point (using hostapd) for my 100BASE-T ISP service, hence the 802.11ac speeds and external antenna offered by CI320 are appreciated. Too bad none of the processors have hardware AES support.
  3. It will run 24/7, hence the passive cooling of CI320 is appreciated, as well as potentially lower power consumption (processor's TDP of 7W vs 15W)
  4. It will also serve XBMC to my FullHD (Panasonic Plasma) TV over HDMI - scaling quality is important, although I watch all my content in 720p or 1080p
  5. It will also run Couchpotato and torrent client, downloading new stuff to my external 1TB 2,5" USB HDD
  6. given all above, 4 cores in Zotac should handle the actual multitasking better than the mere two of Asus.
  7. CI320 has IR receiver built in
  8. Chromebox is 2 x 1600 MHz, Zotac is 1 x 1333 MHz

Now, I only began to consider Chromebox because it was mentioned here that its CPU and GPU are more capable compared to N2820, which is close to N2830 that CI320 has. However, I made some research and it seems to me that the 2955 is actually less potent than N2830 (http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Proc...&daysold=1), which directly contradicts what people say here on the forums.

Moreover, Chromebox seems to be more struggle with Linux compatibility, and have worse warranty (1y vs 5y). The prices are roughly the same - I can get CI320 shipped for 177$ and Chromebox for $224. Chromebox has 2GB RAM and 16GB SSD included, but I already ordered Crucial Ballistix PC1866 4GB RAM for 40$ and the SSD itself is not worth more than some 20$, so I guess both units are somewhat equally priced after all.

Last, not least, I would buy CI320 within EU where I live, but Chromebox would ship from Amazon US, so I don't even know if it had any valid warranty at all - I doubt ASUS warranty would be global for this item.

So, the only remaining question is what is the real performance difference between these two boxes, assuming Asus running with two channel, PC1600 speed memory, maxing out its performance. Also, what is the real Video quality difference between these two when running XBMC?
(2014-10-08, 17:07)cromo Wrote: Moreover, Chromebox seems to be more struggle with Linux compatibility

wut?
Quote:There aren't many of these Chromeboxes out in the wild for developers to test with, so it's been difficult to figure out exactly what the problem is here. As best as we can tell based on our experience and these postings from the Chromium project, it has something to do with SeaBIOS' support (or lack thereof) for xHCI. This is the new controller interface used for USB 3.0 ports, and since the Chromebox can't accept input through anything but USB 3.0, we can't use our USB-connected keyboard to interact with SeaBIOS. A SeaBIOS update may solve this problem, though these can be difficult to perform and can brick your machine if done incorrectly.

Even if SeaBIOS worked as intended on the Chromebox, you still might run into some of the same problems that Chromebooks have when running alternative operating systems. The most common issues are the absence of official driver support and power management problems stemming from incomplete or incompatible ACPI implementations (Chromebooks have a lot of trouble entering and exiting sleep mode under both Linux and Windows).

"http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/03/review-asus-brings-chrome-os-to-mini-pcs-in-a-low-power-inexpensive-package/2/"

Zotac comes with full-blown BIOS/UEFI, ACPI compatibile.

Also: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Chr...orkarounds (your own, presumably)
(2014-10-08, 18:30)cromo Wrote:
Quote:There aren't many of these Chromeboxes out in the wild for developers to test with, so it's been difficult to figure out exactly what the problem is here. As best as we can tell based on our experience and these postings from the Chromium project, it has something to do with SeaBIOS' support (or lack thereof) for xHCI. This is the new controller interface used for USB 3.0 ports, and since the Chromebox can't accept input through anything but USB 3.0, we can't use our USB-connected keyboard to interact with SeaBIOS. A SeaBIOS update may solve this problem, though these can be difficult to perform and can brick your machine if done incorrectly.

Even if SeaBIOS worked as intended on the Chromebox, you still might run into some of the same problems that Chromebooks have when running alternative operating systems. The most common issues are the absence of official driver support and power management problems stemming from incomplete or incompatible ACPI implementations (Chromebooks have a lot of trouble entering and exiting sleep mode under both Linux and Windows).

"http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/03/review-asus-brings-chrome-os-to-mini-pcs-in-a-low-power-inexpensive-package/2/"

Zotac comes with full-blown BIOS/UEFI, ACPI compatibile.

Also: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Chr...orkarounds

that information is woefully outdated; my setup script and the wiki page are not.

the ChromeBox has a fully ACPI-compliant BIOS; UEFI support is meaningless for Linux. Any firmware update has the potential to brick your box (duh). There are no issues currently with sleep/suspend/resume when using the updated firmware.

Those known issues / workarounds are mostly XBMC-related, and apply to any box with a current-gen Intel CPU and USB3 ports. And don't think the Zotac doesn't have as many just because no one has documented them as well as I have.
(2014-10-08, 18:20)Matt Devo Wrote: Those known issues / workarounds are mostly XBMC-related, and apply to any box with a current-gen Intel CPU and USB3 ports. And don't think the Zotac doesn't have as many just because no one has documented them as well as I have.

OK, so I can cross out the ACPI/BIOS issues from the list. Thanks.
basically it boils down to Haswell vs BayTrail, a topic on which there is no shortage of discussion

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zotac CI320 or Asus Chromebox0