Any good alternative to WDTV for no more than $100?
(2014-10-10, 23:01)kwanbis Wrote:
(2014-10-10, 22:26)Ned Scott Wrote: R-Pi should not cost $85. $50 is a lot closer to an accurate price if you need to buy everything from scratch.
This kit http://amzn.com/B00LVAFC7Y costs 60, plus another 20 for the remote and dongle.

If your TV supports cec you may not need another remote.

Also that kit may include things you have and don't need more of, like an SD card and an HDMI cable. Also it includes the cost of a wifi dongle which I wouldn't personally spend my money on.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-10-10, 23:01)kwanbis Wrote: So my options are:

FireTV: $100
RK3288: $95
RPi: $80

For me it is between the FTV and the RPI. I like the FTV more because it is very nice looking, nice control, and much more powerful. I like the RPi because it is open and I don't risk amazon locking the bios.

Yes, the RPi is open, and don't get me wrong here because I do like my RPi, but it is also a single core arm SoC and has it's own limitations just due to that.

As far as the price though, the RPi can be cheaper, you don't really need case (I have run mine for 2 yrs with no case, hanging from the back of my TV from it's HDMI cable), or if your WDTV is dead, just open that case up and pull out the guts and with a little modification you could use it to mount your RPi. It just depends on whether you want something "pretty".

I would also keep this in mind, Androids new version will be released in a few months (Android "L" for phones and Tablets and Android TV for STB, TVs, etc.) which Android TV will bring a lot of new features and make things more "TV friendly". And although this is pure speculation on my part, I would be surprised if the AFTV doesn't get a Android TV or at the least a Fire OS based on Android TV update.

Yes, Amazon has already locked down the FW from being rootable (with latest FW), but root isn't really necessary to run XBMC and for everything else there is usually a work-around to make it work the way you want. I have mine rooted, but even if it wasn't it wouldn't effect the way I use it.

For one, I launch XBMC/Kodi and then never shut it down, so it's always on. And if want to launch another app, like Netflix, Hulu Plus or even games, I just do that from within XBMC and when done I just close that app and I'm back in XBMC. And there is always the possibility that someone will come along and figure out how to get it rooted again.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2014-10-10, 23:51)Tinwarble Wrote: Yes, the RPi is open, and don't get me wrong here because I do like my RPi, but it is also a single core arm SoC and has it's own limitations just due to that.
That is the main thing for me with RPi. It is very, very basic, and for just a little bit more, I can get a FTV.

(2014-10-10, 23:51)Tinwarble Wrote: Yes, Amazon has already locked down the FW from being rootable (with latest FW), but root isn't really necessary to run XBMC and for everything else there is usually a work-around to make it work the way you want. I have mine rooted, but even if it wasn't it wouldn't effect the way I use it.

For one, I launch XBMC/Kodi and then never shut it down, so it's always on. And if want to launch another app, like Netflix, Hulu Plus or even games, I just do that from within XBMC and when done I just close that app and I'm back in XBMC. And there is always the possibility that someone will come along and figure out how to get it rooted again.
My main concern is getting a newer firmware and not being able to root. I don't want to have a "sever" just to play back movies.
(2014-10-11, 00:33)kwanbis Wrote: My main concern is getting a newer firmware and not being able to root. I don't want to have a "sever" just to play back movies.

If you have a router with a USB port (that you can plug a external HDD into) then that can work just as well and you don't need a dedicated "server".

Personally, I feel that a NAS is always going to be the best choice for storing media (although I haven't always felt that way). It makes it easier to access your media from any device and any room in your house, you don't have to worry about continuously plugging and unplugging a USB drive just to copy new media to it and you don't have to have a PC on.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
That is very good to know.
(2014-10-10, 22:26)Ned Scott Wrote: R-Pi should not cost $85. $50 is a lot closer to an accurate price if you need to buy everything from scratch.

Don't listen to Willem55 about the Fire TV. I don't know what his issue is, but he's decided to wage a one man war on one of the nicest options for XBMC/Kodi that we've had in a long time. I also wouldn't invest in any RK3288-based box until the kinks are worked out.

Awww,, come on Ned.. the OP said his main requirement is playing of USB drive.... and I said in that case the FireTV is out of scope..

And you say ignore that... cause I'm biased... the nicest box you've seen in a long time does not meet his requirements... that is not a one man war... that is a bloody fact Ned.

Stop shooting the messenger if the facts don't suit you and you have no arguments.
another option would be pivos xios xs probably a more out the box option then anything else mentioned in this thread. Technically it runs Tofu os wich is based on xbmc (kodi) and modified android, to make more remote control friendly os. if you are not to bothered about speed you could get the older model the xios DS
(2014-10-11, 18:46)Willem55 Wrote: Awww,, come on Ned.. the OP said his main requirement is playing of USB drive.... and I said in that case the FireTV is out of scope..
Why do you say so? As far as I know, you can root/hack FTV to be able to use the USB ports.
(2014-10-14, 21:56)kwanbis Wrote: [Why do you say so? As far as I know, you can root/hack FTV to be able to use the USB ports.

Only if you get one with the older FW, if you get one with the newer FW then you can't root.

It's being reported the the AFTV's are still being shipped with the older FW, but that may end soon. And if you want one that can be rooted, to be on the safe side I would pick one up from a physical store (like Staples, Best Buy, etc.) since they will usually have devices with the older FW's.

You may want to see this here:
http://www.aftvnews.com/downgrading-bloc...-fire-tvs/
Spend a bit more money and get the Intel NUC DN2820FYKH and run Openelec.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any good alternative to WDTV for no more than $100?1