Any good alternative to WDTV for no more than $100?
(2014-10-10, 00:40)voip-ninja Wrote: Raspberry PI has support for more codecs used for BD playback (or MKV made from BDs), etc. Fire TV is a lot faster than the raspberry pi but you have to do a bit of hacking around on it if you want it to launch XBMC at boot time. Also, android boxes don't support things like refresh rate switching (as well as the aforementioned video codec support), etc.
I don't care about a little bit of "software hacking" if that is what you mean. What I want it to have Kodi/XBMC installed on whatever box I have, and simple insert a USB drive and be able to play back whatever I thou at it, basically MKVs with x264 and SRT subs.

(2014-10-10, 00:40)voip-ninja Wrote: Also, android boxes don't support things like refresh rate switching (as well as the aforementioned video codec support), etc.
I don't think I this would bother me much. It would mean I have to reboot between movies? Isn't the RPI an android box also?

(2014-10-10, 00:40)voip-ninja Wrote: Another option you might not have considered is to get a Boxee Box. It's an "all in one" solution that is quite a bit faster than rasp-pi or WDTV but not quite as fast as Fire TV. It is Intel based so it's pretty quick and the video support is solid. Boxee supports refresh rate switching, 1080p/24, and pretty much everything else other than HD audio. It also comes with remote control, etc. Just plug it in, "jailbreak" it, and load XBMC on it. Pretty easy and a used one would be in your price range.
I like the Boxee, but, either it is very expensive new, or used. I don't want a used one. This is how my second WDTV died. Used one.
First, I think you mean Fire TV (not Kindle TV).

Second, as someone who has used all version of WDTV's (exect the Plus) I can tell you the RPi will work fine and is still faster than the WDTV's depending on the skin you use. I have a RPi also and it works pretty well, although not quite a replacement for a WDTV SMP or HUB. And if you need a remote for it, just get a FLIRC and program it to use your old WD remote.

I also, have a Fire TV, which I have replaced my main WDTV with and if all you're going to play is h.264 content (doesn't really matter the container), then it works really well. As well as it already has a remote and you can still access online services. The only real "hacking" that you have to do is in knowing how to sideload, or at least having the ability to sideload, since everything you need to know is in the Wiki: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Amazon_Fire_TV
and any extra things you might want to know can be found here: http://www.aftvnews.com/
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
or get an open android box and and just load the latest xbmc.apk from xbmc.org. RK3288 based boxes do a lot more and faster than a FireTV.
RPi is probably a good choice for you:
-You said "a little software hacking" is okay. That's good because you'll want to overclock it a bit. It just makes the GUI faster. Some additional configuration (a couple lines in a config file) may be required depending on your TV, but usually not.
-Use/buy a good power supply; one that maintains its voltage when under load (playing a video). Various wikis and the RPI forum have information on that.
-If some of your MKVs are mpeg2, you'll need to buy the codec to play them from the foundation. It's a couple of bucks.
I have a RPi in my bedroom running OpenELEC, 2 Intel CPU/GPU boxes also running OE (family room and basement), and a Windows PC. They all run Gotham (13.2) and share a database. It works flawlessly.
(2014-10-10, 16:22)doug Wrote: -Use/buy a good power supply; one that maintains its voltage when under load (playing a video). Various wikis and the RPI forum have information on that.
There is an official power supply that will maintain voltage under load.

As an aside, most power supplies are fine. The problem is some companies will switch suppliers if they find a cheaper alternative, and often the cheaper alternative doesn't perform the same way. Amazon used to sell a Pi specific power supply that was good and had lots of 5 star reviews. This was switched (without changing the listing) to one that dropped too much voltage and you started seeing a lot of 1 star reviews. I think they are selling a decent one again (from The Pi Hut) and the reviews look better.

And steer well clean of micro USB cables that cost $0.99 including shipping from China on eBay. I think a bit of wet string would work better...
(2014-10-10, 07:20)Tinwarble Wrote: First, I think you mean Fire TV (not Kindle TV).
Yea, I know Wink

(2014-10-10, 07:20)Tinwarble Wrote: Second, as someone who has used all version of WDTV's (exect the Plus) I can tell you the RPi will work fine and is still faster than the WDTV's depending on the skin you use. I have a RPi also and it works pretty well, although not quite a replacement for a WDTV SMP or HUB. And if you need a remote for it, just get a FLIRC.
RPi is getting a lot of praise. My only concern is stability/simplicity as it would be used by my kids. The FLIRC is about 25 bucks, too expensive imho.

(2014-10-10, 07:20)Tinwarble Wrote: I also, have a Fire TV, which I have replaced my main WDTV with and if all you're going to play is h.264 content (doesn't really matter the container), then it works really well. As well as it already has a remote and you can still access online services. The only real "hacking" that you have to do is in knowing how to sideload, or at least having the ability to sideload, since everything you need to know is in the Wiki.
That is my doubt. RPi for about 85 bucks or a FireTV for 85 bucks. I would be 99.9% playback of videos.

(2014-10-10, 09:11)Willem55 Wrote: or get an open android box and and just load the latest xbmc.apk from xbmc.org. RK3288 based boxes do a lot more and faster than a FireTV.
I've checked on amazon and people complain of stuttering on 1080p content. Any model with non stuttering recommendation?

(2014-10-10, 16:22)doug Wrote: RPi is probably a good choice for you:
-You said "a little software hacking" is okay. That's good because you'll want to overclock it a bit. It just makes the GUI faster. Some additional configuration (a couple lines in a config file) may be required depending on your TV, but usually not.
-Use/buy a good power supply; one that maintains its voltage when under load (playing a video). Various wikis and the RPI forum have information on that.
-If some of your MKVs are mpeg2, you'll need to buy the codec to play them from the foundation. It's a couple of bucks.
RPi seems about right. But my only question is: for the same money, I can get a FireTV as they go on sale from time to time for about $84, so, does it makes sense to go with the RPi?

(2014-10-10, 16:22)doug Wrote: I have a RPi in my bedroom running OpenELEC, 2 Intel CPU/GPU boxes also running OE (family room and basement), and a Windows PC. They all run Gotham (13.2) and share a database. It works flawlessly.
That is very interesting. I would have to ask you latter how you do it!

(2014-10-10, 16:52)popcornmix Wrote: As an aside, most power supplies are fine. The problem is some companies will switch suppliers if they find a cheaper alternative, and often the cheaper alternative doesn't perform the same way. Amazon used to sell a Pi specific power supply that was good and had lots of 5 star reviews. This was switched (without changing the listing) to one that dropped too much voltage and you started seeing a lot of 1 star reviews. I think they are selling a decent one again (from The Pi Hut) and the reviews look better.
Thanks for your comments.

One last thing guys. Remember I would be using a USB hard drive or pen drive to store my kids movies/series. I don't know if that makes a difference.
Quote:I've checked on amazon and people complain of stuttering on 1080p content. Any model with non stuttering recommendation?
No stuttering over wired. FTV just can't play VC-1.
Quote:Remember I would be using a USB hard drive or pen drive to store my kids movies/series. I don't know if that makes a difference.
It does. You need root on FTV to use USB drives, otherwise only USB remotes, keyboards, etc. get recognized.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Can't comment on the FTV as I don't have one. Gotham 13.2 on the RPi is stable. No issues. Flaky addons, however, can cause problems. I only watch my own content so I don't have addon issues.

USB drives will auto-mount with OpenELEC. Thumb drives are low power so no issues. USB hard drives can be power suckers, so use an external power source or, if using a low power SSD or laptop drive make sure you get a RPi B+ which has better power capabilities and more USB ports to plug split power adapters in.
(2014-10-10, 18:07)kwanbis Wrote: One last thing guys. Remember I would be using a USB hard drive or pen drive to store my kids movies/series. I don't know if that makes a difference.

That means a new FireTV is not in scope anymore... USB drive access is locked out by Firmware

just get an open android box based on the RK3288 it does all the FireTV does faster more specs same price.
Just get the raspberry. It is open, supported well in xbmc/kodi. By the way rpi is not android, it runs Linux.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-10-10, 20:53)Willem55 Wrote: That means a new FireTV is not in scope anymore... USB drive access is locked out by Firmware. Just get an open android box based on the RK3288 it does all the FireTV does faster more specs same price.
I thought that by rooting we can use FireTV with USB.

Last question, I hope, I read some time ago that XBMC on Android was very flaky/problematic?

THANKS!

(2014-10-10, 21:11)nickr Wrote: Just get the raspberry. It is open, supported well in xbmc/kodi. By the way rpi is not android, it runs Linux.
I would consider it thanks.

Isn't it android linux? Wink
No the rpi when used for xbmc uses Linux not android. I think you may be able to get android for rpi but that is irrelevant to your needs.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
R-Pi should not cost $85. $50 is a lot closer to an accurate price if you need to buy everything from scratch.

Don't listen to Willem55 about the Fire TV. I don't know what his issue is, but he's decided to wage a one man war on one of the nicest options for XBMC/Kodi that we've had in a long time. I also wouldn't invest in any RK3288-based box until the kinks are worked out.
(2014-10-10, 21:53)kwanbis Wrote: I thought that by rooting we can use FireTV with USB.

Last question, I hope, I read some time ago that XBMC on Android was very flaky/problematic?

Yes, if you get a Fire TV with rootable FW, then you can access USB drives. According to AFTVNews, FireTV's are still being shipped with version 51.1.1.0, so if you get one of these you can root, just make sure you read the guides at AFTVNews before plugging in your AFTV.

Some time ago Kodi (f/k/a XBMC) was flacky/problematic. With "Helix" (version 14) it is much more stable.

Also, as for RK3288 based boxes being faster. I highly doubt that, at least were XBMC/Kodi is concerned, unless those boxes are doing something before you click on a button. Wink
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2014-10-10, 22:26)Ned Scott Wrote: R-Pi should not cost $85. $50 is a lot closer to an accurate price if you need to buy everything from scratch.
This kit http://amzn.com/B00LVAFC7Y costs 60, plus another 20 for the remote and dongle.

(2014-10-10, 22:26)Ned Scott Wrote: Don't listen to Willem55 about the Fire TV. I don't know what his issue is, but he's decided to wage a one man war on one of the nicest options for XBMC/Kodi that we've had in a long time.
So, you would get a FTV for about the same price than a RPI?

(2014-10-10, 22:26)Ned Scott Wrote: I also wouldn't invest in any RK3288-based box until the kinks are worked out.
Good advice.

(2014-10-10, 22:35)Tinwarble Wrote: Some time ago Kodi (f/k/a XBMC) was flacky/problematic. With "Helix" (version 14) it is much more stable. Also, as for RK3288 based boxes being faster. I highly doubt that, unless those boxes are doing something before you click on a button. Wink
So my options are:

FireTV: $100
RK3288: $95
RPi: $80

For me it is between the FTV and the RPI. I like the FTV more because it is very nice looking, nice control, and much more powerful. I like the RPi because it is open and I don't risk amazon locking the bios.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any good alternative to WDTV for no more than $100?1