Bug lyrics field retrieval
I am unable to get the lyrics field data to return with a call to the JSON-RPC API using either AudioLibrary.GetSongs or AudioLibrary.GetSongDetails.

"lyrics" is an accepted field within List.Item.Base but always seems to return an empty string.

Code:
curl -X POST -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d '{"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"AudioLibrary.GetSongDetails","id":"1412339052641","params":[50, ["title","artist","lyrics","file"]]}' http://127.0.0.1:8080/jsonrpc

Code:
{"id":"1412339052641","jsonrpc":"2.0","result":{"songdetails":{"artist":["Beck"],"file":"/Volumes/MEDIA/MusicSelection/Beck/Guero (2005)/01-Beck-E-Pro.mp3","label":"E-Pro","lyrics":"","songid":50,"title":"E-Pro"}}}

The file does have an embedded lyrics tag. Kid3 can see it, iTunes can see it, the XBMC addon CU LRC Lyrics can see it (and show the content within XBMC).

The closest I can come to proving this from command line is using
Code:
id3v2 -l "/Volumes/MEDIA/MusicSelection/Beck/Guero (2005)/01-Beck-E-Pro.mp3"

Code:
id3v2 tag info for /Volumes/MEDIA/MusicSelection/Beck/Guero (2005)/01-Beck-E-Pro.mp3:
TIT2 (Title/songname/content description): E-Pro
TPE1 (Lead performer(s)/Soloist(s)): Beck
TRCK (Track number/Position in set): 1/14
TALB (Album/Movie/Show title): Guero
---abbreviated---
USLT (Unsynchronized lyric/text transcription): ()[]: Test lyrics
SYLT (Synchronized lyric/text):  (unimplemented)

I'm a web programmer but my c++ sucks so I'm having trouble tracing where the problem, if there is one, might be. I recently added a PR to the Chorus web interface https://github.com/jez500/chorus/pull/88 and was playing with the idea of implementing lyrics support but can't get past this most basic hurdle.

Has anyone got lyrics returning over json? Or any suggestions on where the issue might be?
I think the problem is that XBMC does not store the lyrics read from the ID3 tags of the file in the database. JSON-RPC simply accesses whatever information is available in the database and doesn't go off trying to read files (because that would take far too long).

Unfortunately I've never used lyrics in XBMC and don't really know how it is implemented.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
That makes sense. It seems that "lyrics" should be removed from the supported fields list in that case.

I think it could be argued that the GetSongDetails method should be allowed to read the file for more info if required but understand if that's just not on the cards.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
lyrics field retrieval0