Playing DVDs directly from the drive under Android
The preferences setting ask me whether I want to play DVDs automatically when inserted in the drive, but even after I activate this option, inserting the DVD into the drive doesn't do anything (other than a few usual noises, of course).

This is on an Android TV stick with a DVD drive connected via USB. The kernel sees the DVD alright and makes it appear as /dev/block/sr0. I can copy the content of the DVD via "dvdbackup" (running inside Lil'Debi), for example.

I have the 13.2 Gotham for ARM installed, and usually working fine (e.g. playing TED videos).
I could work around this problem by ripping the DVD (e.g. with dvdbackup) and then playing the ISO image instead, but the time between getting the DVD and being able to play it would be too long to be practical.

What am I doing wrong? Where/how can I tell XMBC to play /dev/block/sr0?
Interesting question, I never tried hooking a DVD player to Android.
But why using a DVD player if u have all movies and series available on XBMC to stream Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
Maybe because it's illegal?
Actually, DVD drives are just not supported in Android.
You'll have to rip them, I'm afraid.
I've been researching this issue too, and just ordered a drive that may kind've work. It has an AV mode, designed for Android. The idea is that in AV mode, the drive will mount as external media, and then you would play the VOB. If you look at the reviews in this link, one guy describes in detail how he got it to work. I'll report back after I give it a go.

Samsung portable DVD SE-218BB/RSBS
or this one: Samsung portable DVD SE218GN
Well, after a lot of testing, Here are my findings, trying to use a Samsung portable DVD on my rooted FireTV.

- This drive has a special AV mode which makes disks show up as USB storage, rather than as DVDs.
- I needed to use a powered hub, as the FTV's USB port apparently didn't have enough juice
- using Stickmount I was able to successfully mount and play non-commercial DVDs by selecting VOBs, however because most commercial DVDs are copy protected, this method won't work for those. They mounted, but only the warning VOB would play. Theoretically, they could be ripped and re-burned, but that defeats the purpose for me.
- the path using this method on the FireTV is /sdcard/usbStorage/sda1/
- I was able to mount a CD full of mp3s and play them just fine
- VLC (currently in beta for Android) claims to be able to play ISOs of commercial DVDs, but it wouldn't play the disc directly

All in all, interesting, but for me, not worth the effort required.
For normal DVD USB drives, I think Android lacks the file system support for this to truly work in XBMC/Kodi. I tried it myself a couple of times and did some searching about mounting DVD videos in Android.
(2014-10-13, 11:39)Ned Scott Wrote: For normal DVD USB drives, I think Android lacks the file system support for this to truly work in XBMC/Kodi. I tried it myself a couple of times and did some searching about mounting DVD videos in Android.

Android is built on the Linux kernel, which has all the drivers needed to mount DVDs (the drivers may not all be included in your firmware, but that can be fixed easily in most cases).

So that can't be the reason.
(2014-10-10, 14:48)Koying Wrote: Actually, DVD drives are just not supported in Android.
Also discussed previously http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=191033

I do however believe that it is now supported from Android 5.0 and later?

Or if the manufacture have customer kernel and firmware for Android 4.x?
Hi there,

i have the same question so instead of starting a new thread...

I have a measy box http://www.measy.com.cn/product/showproduct90_en.htm and connect an old ide dvd drive via usb converter. The drive is detected as sr0 and is shown in the files list in xbmc. As far as i can say the system detects it as DVD Drive so i'm sure Android 4.4 is able to use those drives.

1. Is it possible to show the "Play Disc" menu? Or to tell kodi to use /storage/external_storage/sr0 as optical drive?
2. I noticed that original DVDs wont play. I guess its because of encryption. DVDs from Magazines plays fine. Any ideas if that can be fixed?
I have the same question,Could KODI fix it?
Hat nicht funktioniert
(2023-06-26, 06:48)Mike01 Wrote: Hat nicht funktioniert

As I believe you have been told elsewhere - this forum is English language only.

Use something like Google Translate if required, but please only post in English.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playing DVDs directly from the drive under Android0