Windows Firewall and Airplay
Hi there,

I am having trouble with XBMC 13.2 playing music via either my iPad or other PC running iTunes while Windows Firewall is running on my dedicated XBMC Windows 7 Machine. It simply doesn't work while Windows Firewall is turned on. Once switched off everything runs perfectly as it should.

I have tried opening ports etc but have had no luck. I don't really want to leave Windows Firewall turned off permanently just so I can play music through Airplay.

Any help would be kindly appreciated.

Regards
Please describe the problem a bit better.

When you have the firewall turned on:
1. XBMC is not visible as target on your ios device
2. XBMC si visible as target on your ios device but playback doesn't work.

If the latter - please describe as exactly as possible how it behaves.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Hi there,

Thanks so much for your reply. So basically XBMC is visible as an Airplay device at all times regardless of whether or not the firewall is turned on or off. The only thing that differs between having windows firewall switched on is the fact that the music playback through Airplay wont work. This is exactly the same for playing the music from either my iOS device or from my other PC.

Scenarios when Windows Firewall is switched on:

If I select music to be played through my XBMC device from my iOS device all that happens is I can select it, via the Airplay button but it just reverts back to playing through the iPad. Its like the connection doesn't quite get through before it reverts back to its original state of playing music through the iPad speakers.

If I select music to be played through my XBMC device from my other PC running iTunes ,again it shows my XBMC device as being available for Airplay but when I select the device it comes up with the error "The Airplay device "XBMC (Media-PC)" is not compatible with this version of iTunes". I know this cant be true as it works perfectly when the Windows Firewall is turned off.

Also just to mention I have added XBMC and Bonjour to the list of exceptions in Windows Firewall all to no avail.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards.
I can just tell you that the audio stream will try to connect on tcp port 36666 to the windows mashine on either ipv4 or ipv6 - you need to ensure that both protocols on that port are really open (best - try a port scanner from another PC and check if the port 36666 is open while XBMC is running and the firewall is turned on).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Thanks for your reply Memphiz. Is there anything more I can do apart from allowing all incoming connections for XBMC through Windows Firewall? I don't fully understand how to check if the mentioned port above is actually open.

Regards.
i don't have windows and hope other users jump in here
Bump. Please help.
From my Windows days Smile http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html Run this on the PC with XBMC on it (while XBMC is running) and it will show you what ports are open, which protocol they are using and which program/process opened them.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Thanks for your reply. I have opened all the ports that differ between having the firewall enabled and disabled with regards to Kodi and I still have exactly the same problem. I'm reaching my breaking point. Please help someone.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows Firewall and Airplay0