internal CEC adapter Intel NUC Haswell 3.3V problem
maber23 - thanks for checking.
So it stands in contradiction with description on http://www.intel.com/support/motherboard...034631.htm - "Can be used to power custom solution (such as daughtercard, etc.) with up to 2 A of current rating capability PER EACH of these voltages".
Also - if it is (and it was always) true that 3.3V pin can't be used to power anything, then Pulse8 is mistaken writing about support for this model of NUC with only wiring loom modification, because it can't work:-(
I bought this adapter as well for my new NUC Board... and have the same problems.

Edit:
found a link with the same problem:
http://www.missingremote.com/news/2014-0...h-33v-flaw

TechSpec:
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23089/en...Spec06.pdf
Messiahs - both links were mentioned before - posts #3 and #12
This is the answer i got from Intel:

"The Pin 5 of 3VSB on the NUC’s header has a 330ohm (R51) pull-high register, on this condition it cannot be any current loading, besides that, the layout will not support current loading for the device.
Since we don't define the 3V current loading, that will be the hardware design limitation for this situation.
The technical product specification shows 3.3V, but the header does indeed get to up to 2.6V
."

So it was not to work and it won't work on Haswell NUCs - very disappointing :-(

I also got answer from Pulse8 support - I asked them if they can redesign adapter to use only 5V:
"Adding support for both 3.3V and 5V would require a redesign of the
adapter and add extra components to the board, both increasing the cost
of it.
We're looking into new cables that will grab power from another pin
(without soldering) as a solution, but can't provide an ETA on those yet
."

I already bought necessary components and I'll try to build small voltage regulatory circuit that should give me stable 3.3V from 9th pin of CSH header (+5V Stb 2A) - if it works, i'll post solution.
What about creating a custom SATA power cable? There are currently very little (none?) HDDs that use the 3.3V connection. So I think by modifying a SATA cable you can supply power to both the CEC adapter and an HDD.

This does of course not solve the problem of CEC-power-on, but if the NUC is always on then the interal adapter can still be used?
Yes, of course it's possible and frankly speaking quite simple to create custom sata power cable, but I'm not satisfied with this solution. My NUC is most of the time off and for me it's valued feature to be able to power it on with cec signal. Except for that, external cec adapter (now I got one too) can do all the same at the cost of one occupied usb3 port.
I used the 5V pin on the Front Panel Header, to a 20 ohm resistor to a 3V3 Zener diode across resistor and ground, I heat shinked (shrunk??) both components into the wire loom. That meant only the yellow and red wire have to run under the board to the Custom Solutions header. Just as easy would be to use the 5V from the USB and make 3V3 the same way right on the Pulse Eight board (resistor from 5V pad to 3V3 pad and diode to GND pad). I also found a doubled ended 10 pin 2mm pitch USB cable on EBay which I chopped up, so along with the Pulse Eight cable 2mm connector it's competely plug and play. I mounted the Pulse Eight board component side down into the hole next to the mSATA slot using a 7mm plastic standoff printed on my 3D printer ... cables for USB and front panel connector are about 50mm, custom solutions header about 150mm (routed back under the board when mounted).
Quite a dig guys!

I recently bought the same NUC kit and is seriously considering the same adapter. Fortunately I checked before I bought it.

The main purpose of having this adapter is to get CEC control functionality so I'm not too too concern about powering the TV on at the same time NUC is on, but it will be much better if it just work out of the box!

My silly question is, what happens if the 5V standby pin was connected instead of 3.3V? Will the adapter be fried?
(2014-11-05, 03:10)djaggar Wrote: I used the 5V pin on the Front Panel Header, to a 20 ohm resistor to a 3V3 Zener diode across resistor and ground, I heat shinked (shrunk??) both components into the wire loom. That meant only the yellow and red wire have to run under the board to the Custom Solutions header. Just as easy would be to use the 5V from the USB and make 3V3 the same way right on the Pulse Eight board (resistor from 5V pad to 3V3 pad and diode to GND pad). I also found a doubled ended 10 pin 2mm pitch USB cable on EBay which I chopped up, so along with the Pulse Eight cable 2mm connector it's competely plug and play. I mounted the Pulse Eight board component side down into the hole next to the mSATA slot using a 7mm plastic standoff printed on my 3D printer ... cables for USB and front panel connector are about 50mm, custom solutions header about 150mm (routed back under the board when mounted).

That sounds really nice, could you post some pictures?!
So I received my shipment - both internal and external adapters. Funny enough, NONE of them worked for me!

With the internal adapter I couldn't get it to work mainly because the standby power issue, but with the external USB adapter, the system can detect it, but it just won't work/respond to any command. It says it could be either the TV doesn't support it, or it's disabled in TV settings or a faulty cable. I tested my TV using a Raspberry Pi on all HDMI ports - flawless support without any setup!

So does it mean the mini-HDMI to HDMI cable I got is faulty?

Aside of that, I still wanted to get the internal adapter to work. It's a better solution (if it actually worked) after all.
Kucol, would you please post your wiring for our reference? I'm very new to this, trying to figure out if I connect the pins correctly even.

Thank you.
In case of external adapter - there are two possilibilities why it doesn't respond, although it's being seen properly in system:
1) Faulty cable - try using the short one provided by Pulse8 with miniHDMI to HDMI converter
2) Invalid HDMI port chosen in peripherials menu in XBMC/KODI - this must match real TV port number

In case of internal adapter - most of my wiring photos you can find in my previous posts and except for 3.3V pin it's exactly the same like in manual from Pulse8 site. For test purposes I used LM1117 and small 10uF capacitor to drop down voltage from 5V to 3.3V and it works, but i need to use LM1117 in smaller casing (like for SMD), because now it's little too big to put it inside NUC - I have both mSATA & SATA disks installed so there's not much space left
(2014-10-24, 17:33)kucol Wrote: This is the answer i got from Intel:

"The Pin 5 of 3VSB on the NUC’s header has a 330ohm (R51) pull-high register, on this condition it cannot be any current loading, besides that, the layout will not support current loading for the device.
Since we don't define the 3V current loading, that will be the hardware design limitation for this situation.
The technical product specification shows 3.3V, but the header does indeed get to up to 2.6V
."

So it was not to work and it won't work on Haswell NUCs - very disappointing :-(

I also got answer from Pulse8 support - I asked them if they can redesign adapter to use only 5V:
"Adding support for both 3.3V and 5V would require a redesign of the
adapter and add extra components to the board, both increasing the cost
of it.
We're looking into new cables that will grab power from another pin
(without soldering) as a solution, but can't provide an ETA on those yet
."

I already bought necessary components and I'll try to build small voltage regulatory circuit that should give me stable 3.3V from 9th pin of CSH header (+5V Stb 2A) - if it works, i'll post solution.

Intel only placed the 330Ohm as a precaution.. You can just remove it and short its pads. Works fine, the Pulse-Eight only draws 10mA or so.
But again - that would void my warranty from intel...
I got mail from Pulse8 with information that they prepared special version of internal HDMI CEC Adapter designed for Intel NUC - beter late than never:-)
https://www.pulse-eight.com/p/154/intel-...ec-adapter
It looks like they changed a lot, because it's smaller and uses only 7 wires to connect - old version uses 11 wires.
If they managed to get rid of 3.3V requirement, then finally it should fit&work with NUC without any changes:-)
(2015-03-29, 14:38)kucol Wrote: I got mail from Pulse8 with information that they prepared special version of internal HDMI CEC Adapter designed for Intel NUC - beter late than never:-)
https://www.pulse-eight.com/p/154/intel-...ec-adapter
It looks like they changed a lot, because it's smaller and uses only 7 wires to connect - old version uses 11 wires.
If they managed to get rid of 3.3V requirement, then finally it should fit&work with NUC without any changes:-)

Hi,

Did you (or anyone else with the same NUC model) end up trying this new "NUC" HMDI-CEC Adapter? Please let us know if it worked for you...

Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
internal CEC adapter Intel NUC Haswell 3.3V problem0