Cannot play back .ts files (DVB-S2 recordings) on Amazon Fire TV XBMC?!
Hi there,

I am new to this forum and though I tried to search for 'ts files' I did not find a good answer, so please be patient with me if I do ask a question raised several times ago.

The problem I have:
- Amazon Fire TV with XBMC (gothic?) side loaded.
- Bunch of TS-Files recorded via a satellite receiver, so they are DVB-S2 recordings in transport stream format.
- Files located on a NAS and I can play back via PC

From Amazon Fire TV I can play back other files in that folder (MKV, AVI), but the ts-files fail. I wonder what the reason and cause is as I had a raspberry pi setup before (also XBMC) and this setup was fine playing back all the files. The raspberry of course has far less CPU power, so there should not be a problem on the fire TV.

Is there any special tweak I have to do, is there something disabled by default or any extra codec has to put in manually?

I would hate to have to convert all the TS files, so I kindly ask for advise.

Can anyone please help? I am searching the internet since many hours for a fix. And I can not believe that XBMC can not play back the ts-files.

Any help appreciated!
We've had mixed reports about the Fire TV's ability to correctly use hardware video decoding on MPEG2, which is most likely what your live TV content is recorded with. CPU power doesn't really play into this at all, as it is handled by the VPU (video processing unit).
debug log (wiki)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hi, thanks for helping. I trying to get som logs meanwhile.

It looks like all SD recordings (MPEG2) actually work ok, but HD recording from the satellite receiver show the same symptoms:
- stuttering, getting stronger with time
- audio/video out of sync

I tried to hardware and software decoding, there was no difference.

I know that these files did play fine on a raspberry pi with XBMC, so I am curious what can be done to enable these files to be play backed correctly.

As far a I know the files are MPEG4 which is the standard for DVB-S2. But - as stated before - they are TS files rather than PS, which seem to be part of the problem.
(Wonder why raspberry pi is able to play back, it does not have more capabilities than fire tv.. )
Raspberry pi does have more capabilities than ftv when it comes to video playback, I don't know where you get your information.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I did assume that fire tv has more capabilities as its hardware is newer and the processor is faster. Obviously that was a wrong assumption.

So what you are saying when it comes to things like multiple format compatibility fire tv is not superior to raspberry? Uhh.. I thought I had found the perfect media player in fire tv ... unfortunately crippled by the vendor (most likely to motivate users to purchase their content)

Are there any initiatives underway to enhance fire tv format compatibility?

Thanks anyway.
(2014-10-14, 10:34)jcee11 Wrote: I did assume that fire tv has more capabilities as its hardware is newer and the processor is faster. Obviously that was a wrong assumption.

It has nothing to do with hardware, the limitations are due to the AFTV being Android.

The hardware itself does have more capabilities (such as being able to pass-through DTS-HD), but can't be done because it's not a standard in Android.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
There seem to be an issue (in general, not Fire TV specific) with MediaCodec and MPEG2 h/w decoding.
libstagefright works fine (but without de-interlacing), so try going Settings-Video-Acceleration and disable Mediacodec.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cannot play back .ts files (DVB-S2 recordings) on Amazon Fire TV XBMC?!0