"Get add-ons" option missing
Have successfully (or so I thought) installed XBMC per instructions at http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianXBMC .

Tried to play a video file. Blank screen, no audio. Can see the xbmc.bin process doing light CPU work, but nothing else.

Went to install log uploader add-on so I could post here showing logs. Only, there's no "get add-ons" option.

I back up to XBMC home screen, dive down to "System > Add-ons" and nothing. The entire list of options consists of "..". No way to get add-ons. Nothing to right-click to force refresh.

Suggestions?
Try changing your DNS settings to 8.8.8.8 (Google's DNS )
fixed it for me.
Attempting to change /etc/resolv.conf revealed (when bash couldn't write its history) that I had filed the root partition.

Doh!

Resolving that fixed the problem. XBMC was able to show the "Get add-ons" option. Without changing DNS. Nonetheless, your suggestion got me to the solution, so thanks!

Okay, on to the next issue. One would think a mature app like this would just work, but it seems to be one problem after another.
(2014-10-11, 06:37)beadsland Wrote: Okay, on to the next issue. One would think a mature app like this would just work, but it seems to be one problem after another.

How can you criticise the app when you allow your system to run out of space?
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Touche! Smile

That said, the system hadn't run out of space when the compiler threw its hands up at missing library headers. (Which one would expect the configure script to have looked for.) Likewise, there was plenty of space when an object file was being consistently generated as zero-length. (Although, granted, this may have been a bug in gcc, since oddly a "-pedantic" flag fixed the problem.)

Similarly, there is now plenty of space, yet now that I've managed to obtain the "Get add-ons" option, and thus "Force refresh" is available, add-ons are nonetheless not downloading. This, I'm finding reading in multiple venues, is a known and recurring problem for many users on many installations on a variety of platforms, with no ready solutions that I've been able to yet find.

Meanwhile (and I just tried this again to confirm), when I try just playing a video from a file (again, with plenty of space now), XBMC drops back to console and does nothing else. I can see half a dozen XBMC processes running, but there's no display from XBMC and I have no idea what is happening. I figured I'd try to get plug-ins working before I tried to figure out what was happening there. It's just one more problem to be researched and fixed.

Oh, and did I mention that on my Windows install of XBMC, plug-ins are listed, but when I try to install any, it just sits at 0% for a while, then stops even attempting the download? I've been so busy troubleshooting the Raspbian install that I haven't even bothered trying to troubleshoot the Windows install.

So that's how I can criticize the app. I mean, seriously. I've been at this the better part of a week, and I still haven't been able to play a video. Yes, I let my system run out of space, but that doesn't account for more than one of the ongoing series of issues on both Raspbian and Windows.
I am having this problem too, "Get add-ons" option missing. How do I fix?
(2015-08-20, 01:25)Windows8.1 Wrote: I am having this problem too, "Get add-ons" option missing. How do I fix?

I'm having the same problem, since I updated my windows to version 10.

How can I fix this. Is there a config XML file that needs to be reset.

Please I need help with this.
You do realize you are in the raspberry pi subforum? Prob not the best place to get Win10 support.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Get add-ons" option missing0