Which Nvidia Card (Upgrade from AMD)
i want to switch my windows XBMC to openelec.
but beeing that AMD isn't fully supported i need to switch to nvidia.
No HD audio when adjust refresh rate is on-AMD APU.
so you can't even watch a Blu-Ray decent with the drops you get.
and with DVD PAL Rips it's even worse.

i'm looking for a low profile card that can bitstream HD audio over HDMI.
i prefer a card with a fan because i used to have a AMD card without fan in my HTPC case,
but because it's a small case the temp would rise to 100 C
also it shouldn't use more then 1 slot so the fan can get some airflow.
the specs should be the same or better then the AMD card is use now.
which card do you guys recommend ?

and yes i've searched the different topics here but most of the topics are like 2 years old or even older,
and most of those cards i'm not able to get here anymore.

Case : MONEUAL 320B
GPU : Sapphire HD 6570 1GB DDR3
Connected with HDMI to a Onkyo TX-SR875
and using a Gefen HDMI Detective.
Because my HTPC loses sometimes picture when it comes out of standby,
Or if I switch source on my Reciever.
also i'm able to switch of my TV and still listen to Music when running XBMC.
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
Look for a nvidia 730 its got plenty of power for HTPC use and should handle HD audio over HDMI perfectly fine.
thnx,
i checked which 730 LP i could get found the Zotac GeForce GT 730 1GB GDDR5 for 65 Euro
Like I said a 730 should be all thats needed for a HTPC. I have an older GT 220 in my secondary PC with 2gb of ram and an intel pentium dual core e2180 at 2ghz and it handles HTPC duties perfectly fine. Only problem I have is that 2 ram slots on the motherboard and dead and the case is massive for HTPC usage without being stuffed behind a chair.

My point being a 730 would likely be miles ahead of what I am using and work great.
I'd go for the newest PureVideo instruction set for the lowest amount of cash with the lowest power consumption (a fan is forbidden).

Check this out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Pure...reVideo_HD

If you don't watch 4K, you'll be fine with feature set C, so cards like GT 210/220 will be fine. Check your budget, check power consumption, optimize and GO Big Grin Check if memory bandwidth on the card's memory will be enough. Since GT730 is GF108, it has feature set C, so I recon power consumption might be the only difference.

I'm using GT220 or 210 for XBMC, I don't remember now. I've also got GTX750. I use linux on both on my rigs.

Frankly speaking: HD decoding quality looks better on Rpi than on any of the NVidia cards...
Remember output certifications, you might want 4k@60fps which requires hdmi 2.0 or displayport 1.2(?)
I'm not going to make use of 4K,
Because then I need to upgrade also my TV and reciever.
No gaming.
No video postprocessing just playback of blu-ray remux and tv shows and for my daughter some pal DVD rips

About memory bandwidth I was wondering about that 64 bit or 128 bit will you notice the difference ?
When will you ?
Same with how much memory,
1 GB or 2 GB.
Look the lowest end nvidia card of the latest generation will do what you want standing on it's head and being beaten by an army of trolls.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-10-14, 06:13)TRaSH Wrote: About memory bandwidth I was wondering about that 64 bit or 128 bit will you notice the difference ?
When will you ?
Same with how much memory,
1 GB or 2 GB.

i think it was the case back in geforce 9*** days. I think it's not important anymore in with cards based on GT210 upwards. Memory clocks are high enough anyway.

1 GB is enough.

(2014-10-14, 07:13)nickr Wrote: Look the lowest end nvidia card of the latest generation will do what you want standing on it's head and being beaten by an army of trolls.

^ this! Buy the cheapest thing that is passively cooled. If you have more money, buy alcohol. If you live in Netherlands you can also legally get weed. Much better than nvidia GPUs Big Grin
Alcohol I got at home :-)
Don't like the smell of weed.
And I don't think openelec runs great on it,
Think they are missing the drivers for it.

So the 740 would be a overkill,
Will take a look at a 730 then.

Need to go for 1 with a active fan,
Had a passive 5450 in the case had to replace it for a passive because it was hitting the 100+ C degrees when watching a movie.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which Nvidia Card (Upgrade from AMD)0