Oled/plasma for computer monitors ?
(2014-10-16, 15:02)noggin Wrote: I work with 17" and 25" OLEDs at work and they don't seem to get that warm. No problems sitting in front of them for a full day of work.
Good to here that they don't get warm and there is no issue sitting infront of such tech.
In that case, i can't wait until UHD OELD monitors resolve any lingering concerns about burn-in and then hit the streets at reasonable prices Big Grin
Quote:I think you are mistaken re: greyscale. Plasma cells are either on or off. Grey scale is simulated by using the subfields. You can see this if you point a shuttered video camera at a plasma, as you can see the subfields clearly.
Yeah, i could be mistaken as i'm no expert on plasma tech. However looking at the conclusion within the (admittedly old 2004) document referenced by black_eagle, a document which i have not digested, Dr Cho indicates that the brightness of the plasma cell can be independantly controlled within each subfield by applying special auxilary pulses. So obviously there is much more complexity to plasma and it's probably just as mistaken to simply say plasma cells are either on or off Smile

The talk of subfield rates only began once TFT panel manufacturers started to market higher and higher refresh rates... which is all just marketing mumbo jumbo to confuse people and hopefully sell their product. The reality is that everyone is better off trusting their eyes while viewing any prospective purchases in an environment similar to how the panel will be placed in their home, something which is near impossible in my area as all panels are placed in a very very bright room and the panel set to 'display' or 'retail' mode... hardly a good way to view a future purchase...

And IMHO what is probably still true today, is that my old Pioneer plasma TV provides a fantastic picture that only seems to be bettered by todays high end TFT panels. Mind you, i have not seen any of the new high end TFT panels in a darkened room so these panels may still be inferiour to my old Pioneer in that regard. OELD once sorted out may be the better tech, especially if it does not act as a radiator Wink

Quote:In fact one issue with plasmas in TV studios is that some content can appear to flicker on camera as the sub-fields beat with the camera (particularly on cameras with mechanical shutters like the LDK series)
Obviously TV studios have different needs, like wanting a big screen to be in the background and not wanting to have any flicker coming from the panel. We don't want to distract from that lovely weather girl or news presenter do we Smile

As far as monitors are concerned, who knows what will come in future but today it's difficult to find a cheap monitor with QHD resolution and very good color reproduction and viewing angles. And it gets worse when one starts looking at UHD monitors. Guess good prices will have to wait until OELD monitor tech improves so that they can be made cheaper than todays IPS monitors and hopefully resulting in a chase for customers. In any case, i will pay over the odds for any product based on my location Sad
I'm a XBMC novice :)
Quote: i can't wait until UHD OELD monitors resolve any lingering concerns about burn-in and then hit the streets at reasonable prices Big Grin

I can't wait either, I find it hard to believe that they don't have them out now...hasn't Sony, LG, Samsung been working on OLED for a while now.
(2014-10-18, 01:46)Megatron Wrote: I can't wait either, I find it hard to believe that they don't have them out now...hasn't Sony, LG, Samsung been working on OLED for a while now.
I think Sony first demoed them in 2007 at CES, yes 2007 !

The way the industries works, collusion seems the norm rather than the exception and one would think Sherman and the public prosecutors should be a very very busy chaps indeed.
Not sure if they are.
But just recently LG, Sharp and others were convicted of price fixing LCD panels/monitors but IIRC the resolution was a fine which ultimately gets passed back to us, the consumers.
Yes that's correct, they do the crime and we do the time Sad
Guess we need CEO's to be sent to jail for such illegal acts. Only then would we see such behaviour come to a stop (and finally experiance real competition)...

Guess what i'm trying to say is that if OELD/OLED (old/newer term) could be made price competative today, which wouldn't surprise me, the big boys would secretly agree not to release new tech.
We need to be first milked for the current tech, then they will release their secretly held, newest, biggest, greatest thing since sliced bread... where we can be milked again.
It's a win win for the manufacturers.
Unfortunately it's a loss for us (and it's also against the law but laws seem to be selectively applied)...

So, yes, i can't wait for OELD monitors and TV with great resolution, longevity, no image retention issues, great color reproduction and very low power consumption all at an affordable price... Smile But i wont hold my breath... Confused
Sony demoed their 11" 960x540 XEL-1 OLED TV in 2007 and sold it in 2008. It wasn't a huge success because it was so expensive. However in the broadcast sector, where CRTs were used for critical picture monitoring, camera viewfinders etc. and LCDs never deemed a suitable replacement at the high end, OLEDs have quickly replaced both CRTs and LCDs. LCDs major issues are lag (you can't use any picture processing that improves a picture if it adds delay to a viewfinder) and black levels. Lag in particular is a major issue for viewfinders in sport.

Apart from eyepiece viewfinders (where B&W CRTs are still used as LCDs just aren't sharp enough), most Sony broadcast cameras sold for multi camera studio and OB productions have either 7" or 11" OLED viewfinders (the 11" is a bit big...) and it is common to see 17" or 25" OLED picture monitors in critical picture monitoring locations like vision control, edit suites etc. I've seen a number of mobile production trucks which have an entirely OLED monitor stack recently. There is no doubt that it is deemed a superior technology for critical picture monitoring at the broadcast level (though obviously there are the uber high-end grading LCDs from Dolby etc.)

In cost terms, Sony OLEDs are obviously not cheap, but they are definitely competitive with their CRT equivalents from years gone by.
@noggin, a rather interesting outline of the users of this OLED tech.

Not being involved in broadcast, i wasn't aware LCD and plasma was avoided to such an extent but not surprised either. Other than resolution improvements, LCD and plasma probably are still way behind where CRT could have been today had they persisted with this ancient tech... And OLED's sound like they have as good picture quality charictaristics which may bring focus back to where it should be (these days big wins over better)...

Lets all hope that the manufacturers develop a desire to bring this OLED tech to the consumer market sooner rather than later. can't wait to regain the lost picture quality that came with the move to LCD/plasma...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Oled/plasma for computer monitors ?0