Req CMS - Color Management System for KODI
Lightbulb 
Hi all,

Home cinema enthusiast are always looking for ways to get the best audio or video quality they can out of their equipment. Usually this comes at a price. Thanks to projects like KODI people can have access to a high quality media player for free.

While most Home Cinema enthusiasts are very happy with the changes made in the recent years to the audio engine (passthrough of HD multichannel formats, WASAPI etc.) some of us may think that on the image side we could do a little better to improve the PQ on our screens (picture quality). While XBMC does not temper with the image from the video sources our screens are not calibrated at the factory and will introduce some errors (skin tones over-saturated, skies or grass not quite right etc).

Usually in high end Home Cinemas people use very expensive video processors that cost several 1000s of $ and get help from a professional calibrators in order to get the best PQ available. While this is a great solution most of us can't afford such equipment. In the past couple of years some people have started using of the shelf consumer level colorimeters and free software to tackle this problem inside the computer itself.
At the moment the best and cheapest solution is to use the combination of a consumer colorimeter, ArgyllCMS, for the creation of high quality 3D video LUT and a DirectShow video player compatible with MadVR such as JRiver or MPC-HC.

Would it be possible to add the option to use 3D LUT correction files within KODI?

Thanks

Damien

Link to guide on color calibration in general

Guide to color calibration using Argyll and MadVR

Images from http://www.curtpalme.com
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=202691

3DLUT support is in the works. I'm really hoping it sees fruition. It's an incredible feature that I absolutely love about Madvr.
Exiting news. Looks like it has been going on for a couple of months. I will straight away subscribe to the thread.

Cheers
I have a ColorMunki Photo and use it to calibrate my monitor in windows for photo editing. For my media players I use dedicated Linux machines (one Intel Nuc with Ubuntu/MythTV/Kodi and a couple Raspberry Pi 2 Bs with OpenELEC).

Is there a plugin or support for using a the ColorMunki Photo to provide a color profile for Kodi? For desktop use, I am aware that there is color calibration using the ColorMunki support for Ubuntu but it would have to be a native plugin for use on OpenELEC. Anyone know of work in this area?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
CMS - Color Management System for KODI1