Opinion required on building a HTPC and media server
I would like some opinion on my scenario :
I have around 4 TB of data (movies,,music,pics) across many internal and external HDD's.
I would like to consolidate all of them and put in one place and also get them hooked to my
Harmon Kardon home theater which is linked to my TV.

Should I go for a HTPC with built in storage or a HTPC + media server like synology or custom made.
Any recommendations on the hardware specs I should go for so that I get value for money.
It all depends on want you want.

For example a DIY HTPC would need to be big enough to take HDD's so you may not like the noise or the size, you can buy pre=built silenced systems from QuietPC but these cost a premium.

Alternatively you could go with a NUC running Windows 8 (or 10 when it's available) and use it's built in soft RAID feature storage spaces which works with USB3 drives combining them into a RAID5 parity style array, very easy to set up and run the USB hub plus drives into a cabinet.

Or simply buy an off the shelf NAS from Synology or whoever, even cheap Zyxel NAS are good enough. Hide the NAS in some other room and have only your small XBMC client NUC or STB in the TV room.
Honestly, I'd say a NAS with some physical redundancy is the best way to go for storage. You might feel like upgrading your HTPC often, or adding more and more clients, and a NAS will hang around for years in some back room, patiently serving up multiple media clients in your house.

You don't need some overly fancy media file server. But do make sure you have room for expansion, because you will outgrow your present collection quite rapidly. Heck, I have about 14 TB in redundant NAS storage, and I'm already worried about running out of room!
Thanks for your input Starstream. I am thinking of keeping the HTPC and NAS as two separate units.
The Zyxel NAS has only maximum 2 bays. Looking for something bigger. Any specs you recommend for the HTPC with SSD ?

Sunflux: Is it best to assemble a redundant NAS or buy it off the shelf and add hard disks ? Any models you recommend ?
I agree with both points above. I built my HTPC system around a NAS and think it's the way to go. As far as suggestions for parts....I don't think you need anything more than an i3 processor for your system. Stick in a low cost video card an you'll be set. I use a DROBO NAS and it has built in redundancy. It is a little pricey but I don't have time to build my own server/NAS. I got it used on eBay for $100 cheaper than retail. They have many different models to choose from.

Bill
Billroden:

DROBO NAS is a bit expensive for me . I have to look at cheaper options.
If you're not gaming or streaming 1080i you don't need an i3 and you definitely don't need a discrete graphics card.
Htpc:
AM1 cpu (sempron 3850 or better)
Am1 motherboard itx/matx
2gb ram for Linux / 4gb for Windows
Case that has space for your motherboard
Psu (at least 60w)

Either buy a qnap, synology or build a server which eskro explains here(but remember unraid is not your only option):
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=104489

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Opinion required on building a HTPC and media server0