hq pixel shader not available in kodi a4
hi,
titel says it all. also tested with latetest nightly. is that a known problem? otherwise i will post systeminfos...
Why don't you start with posting them? They will be asked for regardless
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
i have disabled them for render method dxva because it failed on some hardware and was not implemented properly. if this worked on your system before, your hw has most likely enough power to run without dxva.
hq scaling still works for sw decode with pixel shaders.
enough power, yes. but are you seriouse about that? i cant believe!
sw decode isnt a option for me (and i think most other people) because the system is getting hot, the fan is loud and electric power consumption is rising.
last year i switched from mediaportal to xbmc13 because of dxva2+lanczos3. the picture quality is much better than the normal dxva-scaling (bilinear).
if this is really true that kodi 14 will come without dxva2+hq-shader (for me) that is a huge step back!
it may have worked on your hardware but it never did on others. what you consider a plus turned into a black screen on other systems.

yes, I am serious about fixing the black screen issue on those systems it was broken. this I consider a step forward. be my guest and fix the issue on those systems. if you don't agree with that get happy with mediaportal
would it be possible to add an option (maybe via the advanced settings xml) to activate dxva2 +hq shaders? that would be really nice! does the "black screen problem" only appear in kody 14 or also xbmc 13? i remember about a long testing-thread last year about dxva2+hq shader and i think i never read about such problems...
I am open for reasonable solutions. I only deactivated this feature, the code is still there:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/3ffb...6cb9b6f2c5

I was notified that it caused black screen on NVidia systems which I was able to reproduce. I don't know if it failed in previous versions. This feature was not widely used.

btw: the implementation of this "feature" did consume quite a lot resources that I doubt sw decoding would result in higher temperatures. that may have been the reason why the original author has never submitted this change himself.
ok, sorry, my english isnt the best, i am not sure if i understand your last paragraph correctly.

but i have tested a lot. if i disable dxva2 (for example to activate hq shader) there is a significant rise of cpu load. and i "hear" that because my fan is getting loud. this isnt very nice because its a htpc in my living room. for me that feature works really well with amd trinity and amd richland apu. maybe this is only a problem with nvidia systems?

what do you think? would there be any way (advanced settings or something like that)? i also would be available as a beta or alpha tester :-)

here is the thread from last year:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ght=shader

edit: please have a look at the link above. just noticed that i am not the only one who is missing this feature....
(2014-10-13, 20:37)FernetMenta Wrote: i have disabled them for render method dxva because it failed on some hardware and was not implemented properly. if this worked on your system before, your hw has most likely enough power to run without dxva.
hq scaling still works for sw decode with pixel shaders.
Ya, but this causes several issues. With software decoding you can't use DXVA deinterlacing (vector adaptive on AMD cards) which provides much better quality than software deinterlacing. It also causes higher cpu usage obviously. Some systems may not be able to software decode 720p content.

I was wondering where this option went too. I've been using DXVA decoding with Lanczos3 scaling since it was implemented (back to the original test builds even over a year ago) with zero issues.

I would suggest adding an option back to the menu or advancedsettings.xml to enable this again, as AMD users have been using it with no issues for a long time now.
@FernetMenta - how about quirking it for nvidia (we have to do this shit too on darwin - quirking the rendermethod seperatly for amd, nvidia and intel).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I am not decided yet. The problem is that this prototyping code should never have been merged. Even the original author was not in favor of it. Now we need another hack to work around the previous hack.
maybe an advanced setting which has this path disabled by default is the best solution here.
(2014-10-14, 10:56)FernetMenta Wrote: maybe an advanced setting which has this path disabled by default is the best solution here.

Disable as default then enable via advancedsettings.xml so only users who know what they are doing enable it, whatever you do don't make it a GUI setting. We can also update the wiki and put a cautionary note for adding the setting in the xml.
(2014-10-14, 11:23)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2014-10-14, 10:56)FernetMenta Wrote: maybe an advanced setting which has this path disabled by default is the best solution here.

Disable as default then enable via advancedsettings.xml so only users who know what they are doing enable it, whatever you do don't make it a GUI setting. We can also update the wiki and put a cautionary note for adding the setting in the xml.
I would be fine with this. Whatever gets it reinstated.
the advancedsettings parameter is dxvaallowhqscaling, default false
thank you very much!!!! will this be included in the next alpha release of kodi?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
hq pixel shader not available in kodi a40