Is NUC DN2820FYKH good enough for XBMC and 1080p/DTS HD?
Hi,

I am about to order an Intel NUC DN2820FYKH baytrail. Is it good enough for using with :

- XBMC / Kodi + openelec SOLVED AND TESTED : YES
- 1080p (my screen is projector BENQ W1070+, 9.1 ft) SOLVED AND TESTED : YES WORKS PERFECTLY
- DTS HD / Dolby TRUEHD all in 5.1 SOLVED AND TESTED : YES
- high bit-rate 3D 1080p movies

Plus, features i'd like to have a feedback on with DN2820FYKH :

- Is it good with 1080p24 ? Can I display 24p using it ? : SOLVED AND TESTED : YES
- Video postprocessing ?
- Is there any way I can add a BD player on it ? (so that i can access my BD in XBMC) ?
- Any clue about 4K capabilities ? SOLVED : NO i5 NEEDED FOR H265
- Is there any way to install Android on it ? I read there is no SD card SOLVED : YES ON USB STICK
- No audio sync issues with openelec/xbmc ? SOLVED AND TESTED : NO ISSUES
- Can the device be powered on/off through the remote control?
- Can I use any IR (infrared) remote control I have in my home (my TV remote,etc) to use with XBMC+OpenElec+Intel NUC ? SOLVED AND TESTED : YES
- DVB-T live streaming (TV live stream) SOLVED AND TESTED : YES BUT... It works (I tried with a PCTV Usb nanostick) BUT it consumes 20-40% CPU in SD channels and 40-70% CPU in HD Channels. Plus the SD channels are poorly displayed on the DN2820. Bad upscaling. If you want to use a lot TV and CABLE using DVB-T, go with i3 or i5

I will use it mainly for HD movies with DTS HD/ Dolby TRUEHD + my synology NAS

Im about to order it from amazon this week so any feedback on this NUC is welcome.

LAST: for about $140 more i can have the Intel NUC D34010WYK. Is it really worty going i3 ? for my usage ?

thanks
Read this it will answer most of your questions.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Intel_NUC
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
Highly highly recommend either celeron NUCs. Both are very good for the money and you can't beat that tiny form factor.

I have both the celeron nuc and i5 nuc.
(2014-10-13, 22:28)edge06 Wrote: Highly highly recommend either celeron NUCs. Both are very good for the money and you can't beat that tiny form factor.

Hi Edge06 and thank you for you answer.
Do you see dramatic difference between the celeron unit and the i5 unit ?

@TRaSH
Thanks for your contribution, but i read this page already, and much of my specific question are not being answered in this page.

Its very important for me that the NUC can play well 24hz.
I read on some forums that the celeron NUC has issues with 24hz

like :
Quote:Last I heard, Bay Trail is Intel's "Haswell-by-marketing" chipset with ivy bridge hd graphics (which didn't handle 24p like haswell)
(2014-10-13, 22:47)HTfreak Wrote:
(2014-10-13, 22:28)edge06 Wrote: Highly highly recommend either celeron NUCs. Both are very good for the money and you can't beat that tiny form factor.

Hi Edge06 and thank you for you answer.
Do you see dramatic difference between the celeron unit and the i5 unit ?

@TRaSH
Thanks for your contribution, but i read this page already, and much of my specific question are not being answered in this page.

Its very important for me that the NUC can play well 24hz.
I read on some forums that the celeron NUC has issues with 24hz

like :
Quote:Last I heard, Bay Trail is Intel's "Haswell-by-marketing" chipset with ivy bridge hd graphics (which didn't handle 24p like haswell)

only real difference I noticed was when using the heavy skins. ones that used a bunch of addons, like the wiki noted.
Keep in mind what the wiki says about the celeron nuc for 3D.
" It will struggle with full frame packed 3D"
So keep that in mind.
For 4K you need HDMI 2.0 or display port 1.2
Video postprocessing ?
What do you want it to-do plex perhaps ?
(2014-10-14, 06:05)TRaSH Wrote: Video postprocessing ?
What do you want it to-do plex perhaps ?

Well im looking for ways to improve image quality through software, like DARBEE is doing it through hardware.

For the follow up, i ordered yesterday the NUC.
Here is my order :

-Barebone Intel NUC Celeron (BOXDN2820FYKH0)
-SSD Sandisk SanDisk SSD - 64 Go SATA 3 (6 Gb/s), 2,5"
-Crucial SO-DIMM DDR3 4 Go PC12800

along with a

-Synology NAS DS214
-WD40EFRX SATA 6 Gb/s - WD Red 4 To 3,5''

I should receive all this by saturday.

Smile
get Blu-Rays then there's no need to improve quality Wink
Ram needs to be low voltage.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
(2014-10-15, 21:11)xbs08 Wrote: Ram needs to be low voltage.

i saw on another post that you installed this ram too on you NUC
The one that i ordered is : CT51264BF160B

Is it running well for you with this ram ?

(2014-10-15, 19:55)TRaSH Wrote: get Blu-Rays then there's no need to improve quality Wink

Yup ... but i still need to get me a good BD player.. till now i use PS3....
Maybe in a few months i'll get me an OPPO...

But that is why I asked if there is any way I can stick a BD player in/on the NUC, so that have the BD player show up in XBMC
Perhaps a USB blu-ray player,
I am currently looking at a set up like this - in fact i had already pinpointed the same barebone unit that OP mentions as a good bet.

I'm looking at;

Intel NUC DN2820FYKH Barebone
Crucial 2GB DDR3 PC3-12800 SODIMM (CT25664BF160b)

Only thing i'm not sure of is the SSD. Plan to install OpenElec on it so anything more than 16GB would be overkill right? Or should OpenElec be installed on a flash drive instead?
Devices
- NAS: Synology DS212, 6TB, MySQL
- HTPC: Intel NUC N2830, 2.4ghz, 4GB RAM, SSD, Win 7 & OpenElec (dual boot) / Kodi 15.2
- PC: Lenovo M92P, 3.2ghz, 12GB RAM, Win 10 / Kodi 17.4
- Laptop: Acer 5750G, 2.9ghz, 8GB RAM, SSD, Windows 10 / Kodi 15.2

I have this and works like a charm.

You will need a low voltage ram and you might wanna consider to get an SSD.

IMO the biggest advantage this has is the price point and IR receiver. A $4 Universal remote from microcenter works out of the box. I myself use the minimal XBox One Media Remote because it is small and sweet but also that if I leave it on the couch and cannot find it when it is dark, I just shake the couch and it lights up !

What it could do with is work with CEC so I can not use my Xbox remote. But I have come to love it!
how do you compare this with Lenovo Q190 ...lenovo is selling it for $250 with Windows 8
Follow up:

I got my NUC, installed it, im pretty happy with it.

i'll write a full features review in days to come Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is NUC DN2820FYKH good enough for XBMC and 1080p/DTS HD?0