Is NUC DN2820FYKH good enough for XBMC and 1080p/DTS HD?
(2014-10-15, 22:18)HTfreak Wrote:
(2014-10-15, 21:11)xbs08 Wrote: Ram needs to be low voltage.

i saw on another post that you installed this ram too on you NUC
The one that i ordered is : CT51264BF160B

Is it running well for you with this ram ?

Very well, been using OpenELEC/Xubuntu.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
I have one but never had a need for 3D as I don't have a 3D TV. A friend wants one but wants to know if it will do 3D. the Wiki states it would play3D SBS but would struggle with full frame packed 3D, can any body advise the difference and if it is a worthwhile feature to have.

Thanks
(2014-10-24, 11:01)HTfreak Wrote: Follow up:

I got my NUC, installed it, im pretty happy with it.

i'll write a full features review in days to come Smile
I got mine today and need to check a few things before installing. You went with OpenElec right?

Are you able to give me a quick run through of what files/guide you used to install it?

Did you need to update the BIOS first?
Which version of OpenElec - the Intel build from Sept 2013 or generic?

All new to me and I don't want to screw it up.
Thanks
Devices
- NAS: Synology DS212, 6TB, MySQL
- HTPC: Intel NUC N2830, 2.4ghz, 4GB RAM, SSD, Win 7 & OpenElec (dual boot) / Kodi 15.2
- PC: Lenovo M92P, 3.2ghz, 12GB RAM, Win 10 / Kodi 17.4
- Laptop: Acer 5750G, 2.9ghz, 8GB RAM, SSD, Windows 10 / Kodi 15.2

Latest generic, which is 4.2.1. Just follow the installation instructions for openelec. It's on their wiki.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks. No BIOS changes?
Devices
- HTPC: Intel NUC N2830, 2.4ghz, 4GB RAM, SSD, Win 7 & OpenElec (dual boot) / Kodi 15.2

I think it benefits from recent bioses.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Im watching right now transformers 4. The audio is Dolby TrueHD 4388kbps and its not 100% smooth Sad
There is like a "1 second blank/sound lag" every 10 mins or so... Sad Sad
I recently tried set up a second NUC for a friend and first upgraded the BIOS to 40. Now I can not get it recognise the USB boot stick for Openelec. I googled and found the wiki but that seem's out of date now as the instructions there and on the Openelec forum to set up the bios are not matching the options available in the new 40 BIOS. Should I downgrade to version 38 which I have on my current one. Thanks
(2014-10-26, 22:00)HTfreak Wrote: Im watching right now transformers 4. The audio is Dolby TrueHD 4388kbps and its not 100% smooth Sad
There is like a "1 second blank/sound lag" every 10 mins or so... Sad Sad

Debug Log or it never happened. looks like non working 24p mode.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I can't get mine to boot from usb - why is it so difficult? Sad

I've followed the instructions on OpenElec wiki and seen a few things about changing settings in the bios but whatever I try I keep getting 'reboot and select proper boot device'. I don't really understand any of the bios stuff, uefi/legacy etc, so I don't know where I'm going wrong.

How have people managed to get this thing to boot?
Devices

In the past (diferent hardware admittedly) I have found that some systems just will not install from some USB sticks.

Also USB3.0 ports may be more difficult than USB2.0 ones.

Try a few different sticks in a few different USB ports.
(2014-10-28, 02:51)nickr Wrote: In the past (diferent hardware admittedly) I have found that some systems just will not install from some USB sticks.

Also USB3.0 ports may be more difficult than USB2.0 ones.

Try a few different sticks in a few different USB ports.
That's why I used a stick which someone had recommended before (8gb patriot supersonic xt). Bought it especially as it's pretty fast. It shows up in the boot order menu but just won't boot from it when selected. I tried it from the usb 2.0 aswell as 3.0.

BIOS I'm using is numbered 32.

So annoying! Don't think I have any other stick I can use so will have to buy another.
Devices

I'd try upgrading the bios to the latest version (40) first.

See https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchR...dType=BIOS

Also, you got it to show up in the boot menu? Are you 100% sure the USB stick is actually bootable ?
(2014-10-28, 10:14)Kib Wrote: I'd try upgrading the bios to the latest version (40) first.

Also, you got it to show up in the boot menu? Are you 100% sure the USB stick is actually bootable ?
Yeah i have two items in my boot menu and one is my usb stick. Why might it not be bootable - i ran the batch file for latest OpenElec version and the files I was told to expect were correctly written to the stick (and stick named OPENELEC). I suppose I could erase the stick and run the batch file again.

Thanks for the link. I didn't realise that my bios was not the latest version so that gives me something to try later.

If all of that fails I'm starting to think I should just buy an ssd for it. assume the boot problems are only with usb?
Devices

(2014-10-28, 10:23)flekz Wrote:
(2014-10-28, 10:14)Kib Wrote: I'd try upgrading the bios to the latest version (40) first.

Yeah i have two items in my boot menu and one is my usb stick. Why might it not be bootable - i ran the batch file for latest OpenElec version and the files I was told to expect were correctly written to the stick (and stick named OPENELEC). I suppose I could erase the stick and run the batch file again.

Thanks for the link. I didn't realise that my bios was not the latest version so that gives me something to try later.

If all of that fails I'm starting to think I should just buy an ssd for it. assume the boot problems are only with usb?

Don't try Bios version 40. I posted a few posts up that it does not work with 40. The detailed explanations on the wiki do not match the new options in the bios once updated so it states to set certain options but they are no longer there. I dont know what to do. I never had this issue on my previous NUC which was running an earlier BIOS version. Can anybody help with revised instructions, thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is NUC DN2820FYKH good enough for XBMC and 1080p/DTS HD?0