Linux XBMC/Kodi and Squeezelite
Question 
I've come across an interesting scenario..

In my kitchen I have:
1) A raspberrypi running xbmc connected to my tv over HDMI
2) A squeezelite 2.1 sound system running from a different pc - with a dedicated amp

The two systems are not connected (short of having access to the same nas for music etc)

Most of the time this works fine as i use the squeezebox system to listen to music without having to power up the tv & xbmc. However occasionally Id like to be able to play the xbmc sound output (films / tv) through the squeezebox system - as the speakers are far superior to the built in TV set.

Has anyone come across a similar niggle? Was considering if I could get XBMC to constantly output its sound to HDMI and an audio stream which the squeezebox could play? realise this is way out of XBMC's scope but hoping someone has tried similar. Short of that does anyone have any potentially less complicated ideas?Huh

Thanks in advance
Evoxer
Hi
I've a similar system but based on Windows and Intel Nuc, but I believe it can be achived on different hardware and os.
My system looks like this:
1. Xbmc/kodi - sound output via hdmi
2. Squeezelite - output (-o command) set tu usb as I have usb dac. DAC connected to my NAD amplifier.

Everything works like a charm. When I want to play music I switch on pc and my amp (using my Harmony remote).
I belive on linux should work the same, just set different output for kodi (HDMI) and different on squeezelite (usb if you have suitable dac, or optical).
If you have any question feel free to ask.
(2014-10-13, 22:12)sp1976 Wrote: Hi
I've a similar system but based on Windows and Intel Nuc, but I believe it can be achived on different hardware and os.
2. Squeezelite - output (-o command) set tu usb as I have usb dac. DAC connected to my NAD amplifier.

Everything works like a charm. When I want to play music I switch on pc and my amp (using my Harmony remote).
I belive on linux should work the same, just set different output for kodi (HDMI) and different on squeezelite (usb if you have suitable dac, or optical).
You are answering a different question.

@Evoxer why not plug your pi into the amplifier?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-10-14, 03:48)nickr Wrote:
(2014-10-13, 22:12)sp1976 Wrote: Hi

You are answering a different question.

@Evoxer why not plug your pi into the amplifier?

Its not a bad shout although I need to overcome two obstacles.
1) Pi is neatly tucked behind the kitchen TV - Amp (and its current driving Pi) is in the loft where the speaker cables run back to, so will mean making holes etc and upsetting the WAF balance in the house. Would need to move the USB DAC from the loft to the kitchen I assume as the distance would be quite far for USB? (well over 10Meters) so Id be better to move the DAC and run long phono's to the loft?
2) Wondering how this would work? - Assuming I could use the pi (without the TV on) running something like squeezelite to do music only squeezebox duties? How would I then also get XBMC to output over the same channel? will ALSA have any conflict errors? Guess I would need both Kodi & Squeezelite to output over the same device.

Guess im hoping someone has tried this before..

Other option I guess is to wait till the wife goes away and wholescale migrate the Amp and DAC etc with speaker cabling to somewhere nearby in the kitchen rather than the loft - hiding all cabling and doing all necessary touch up decorating before she gets back and notices.

Thanks
Evo

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC/Kodi and Squeezelite0