RAM and SSD to go with NUC exclusively running OpenELEC
I've finally settled for the D34010WYK NUC, but now I need to decide on the components. I notice I quickly fall in the 'slippery slope' trap on these decisions, so I need your help.

Here's what you need to know: this NUC is exclusively going to be running OpenELEC + Kodi, i.e. no Windows will be installed in the future. Secondly: the files that I will play are your average 10-15Mbps MKV files.

So what kind of RAM and SSD is reasonable in this situation?

Thanks in advance.
30gb ssd (msata or 2,5")
2gb sodimm ddr3
But why are you getting an i3 nuc for OpenELEC? Celeron would be more than capable.
(2014-10-13, 22:54)KeyMs92 Wrote: I've finally settled for the D34010WYK NUC, but now I need to decide on the components. I notice I quickly fall in the 'slippery slope' trap on these decisions, so I need your help.

Here's what you need to know: this NUC is exclusively going to be running OpenELEC + Kodi, i.e. no Windows will be installed in the future. Secondly: the files that I will play are your average 10-15Mbps MKV files.

So what kind of RAM and SSD is reasonable in this situation?

Thanks in advance.

Celeron NUC is more than capable to do what you want it to do. Save yourself the money.

I have a 32GB mSATA in my celeron and it's more than enough!

2GB of ram is all you need.
Thanks! Yes, you're right that the Celeron is more than enough for 1080p playback. However, it's important for me that I can experiment with more heavy skins and still have it run smoothly. I'm just a bit more confident that i3 will have enough headroom for that.

Anyway, it's a difficult decision, but I think I'm going for:

Intel NUC D34010WYK
Crucial CT51264BF160BJ
Kingston SSDNow mS200 30GB

Although, the 4GB RAM will be overkill, I always like to buy products that still enjoy some level of popularity. The 2GB size has become too obscure for my liking and, besides, is hardly any cheaper.
If you watch SD content, or interlaced material, the i3 is probably a better bet (the more powerful GPU offers higher quality scaling and hardware Motion Compensative de-interlacing in experimental builds, and will not break sweat software de-interlacing using YADIF 2x)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RAM and SSD to go with NUC exclusively running OpenELEC0