most reliable hardware with component video?
I have an old HDTV in my downstairs living room that I would like XBMC hooked up. The TV only has component video so is there something better than an ATV? I am looking for a smooth and reliable experience with full 1080p video over wireless any suggestions would be great thanks Smile.
Can't be really helpful but this takes me back towhen I was using a PC based XBMC machine, XBMC 10, and component. I had successfully rigged the AGP HD 4650 to go to component by default to my Sony Trinitron, but it wouldn't output any component UNTIL it got to Windows. I was running blind from POST and through Startup. Big Grin
LOL Yeah It's an older tv but still works so it will have to do for now. So far the the boxes I can find that have component is the ATV 1 or Mygica ATV 1200 that are easy to find is there a newer one with a quad core that would work? funny enough Mygica's new box the 1800 just has composite which is not as good Sad
I know this doesn't address your question directly, but have you considered using a converter like this? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/77...erter.html then you won't be tied to older hardware for xbmc. I have an atv1 running crystalbuntu and it is definitely showing its age. Just make sure whatever you are feeding it with doesn't have hdcp enabled and should be good to go.
Have you considered a Rasberry Pi Model B?
RPi has composite video out and HDMI, neither of which is what the OP wants.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
I have tried using a converter like this one http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX47009 I don't know if this is very different than your suggestion but it didn't work with either a Fire tv or an Asus Chromebox with my tv. I would get pink lines and a black screen although I would get audio. That is why I thought to go with a box that had component inside it already for this tv. ATV is not my first choice I had one for a while as my first look at XBMC and it got me hooked and I get a way better experience with both the Fire tv and the Asus Chromebox I prefer that experience but better than ATV is what I can settle with.
What resolutions does your TV support over component? That could be the issue with some HDMI->Component converters - they may be generating a component resolution that your TV can't handle?
from what I can get from the manual I can find online it's 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i at 60hz for the component input. The model is Sony KP-53HS30 Projection TV any insight would be great.
You should manually set the FireTV to 720p in it's display settings plugged into a HDMI TV then take the box and feed that into the component conversion box.

It might be trying to auto guess the resolution which you shouldn't be doing with the converter in place.

As to native component output Kodi platforms, nothing really out there unless you want to build a PC, you can buy VGA to component cables which may work, AMD and Nvidia in their (windows) display drivers have TV compatibility modes you can force, this is a 720p 1080i TV etc.

For set top boxes, component is not existent at this point, a few years ago it was still found on some boxes but not any more. You can still get RCA/Composite but this gives worse image quality. One chipset that might still support it is the Realtek RTD1195 but very few Android boxes use this chip, the only one I know of is the KD Link A200 and it's HDMI only.
The reason you probably didn't have any luck with the converter and firetv is because the firetv apparently has HDCP enabled and cannot be disabled. I do not believe this would be a problem with a standard x86 pc. The other possible option would be to add an hdmi splitter that strips HDCP. The reviews for this one say it strips hdcp great: http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity%C2%AE-por...itter+hdcp
I even tried setting my Asus Chromebox to 720p and hooking it up with my converter and it didn't work is the chromebox also HDCP?
(2014-10-14, 15:45)Starstream Wrote: One chipset that might still support it is the Realtek RTD1195 but very few Android boxes use this chip, the only one I know of is the KD Link A200 and it's HDMI only.
Some more Realtek 1195 boxes are now available, see http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=204918

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
most reliable hardware with component video?1