[NAS] Mid-range NAS/Homeserver Build
Thumbs Up 
Hi everyone,

I'm going to be doing a NAS build, and an 'over the shoulder' guide on how to get started.

You can see the full post here: http://www.homemediatech.net/mid-range-n...uild-1/720

But basically the build will be the following:
Code:
Type             Item
Case             Lian Li PC-Q25B
Motherboard      ASUS H87I-PLUS
CPU              Intel Core i3-4150 Haswell
RAM              Crucial 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR3
Power Supply     Silverstone 450W SFX Form Factor (ST45SF)
Hard Drives      WD Red 3TB WD30EFRX (x3)
OS               unRAID (could possibly change)

I will be doing follow up posts to show (beginners) the build and installation.

Let me know your thoughts, and if you have any OS recommendations.
Overkill psu for that kind of hardware get a be quiet l8 300w instead it's cheap and efficient
Ram is overkill for anything but windows
CPU is overkill for everything.

Bottom line you're spending to much money, if that is because you want overkill then clarify that or no one will take you seriously as it makes you appear like a beginner.
For some proper advice on how to build a unraid rig see eskros guide:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=104489
The point is to start small and expand as time progresses.

This will be used for Plex transcoding, so getting something like a paltry single core sempron would be a joke.

The RAM is necessary as I will be taking advantage of Docker containers.

The forum post you linked isn't relevant anymore anyways, there are much better options if I was looking to spend $200 on a NAS.
Even with an i7 and 6 x 3.5" HDD, SSD and 16GB RAM, 450W is overkill. I just built an i7-4790K machine with a 300W PSU and it uses 150W running Prime95.

The beQuiet PSU isn't available in the US but there's a very good FSP SFX 300W PSU (which I used for that build and for my own home server as well).

If you want more bays, the 8-bay Silverstone DS380B might be worth a look: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811163255
(2014-10-14, 19:29)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Even with an i7 and 6 x 3.5" HDD, SSD and 16GB RAM, 450W is overkill. I just build an i7-4790K machine with a 300W PSU and it uses 150W running Prime95. The beQuiet PSU isn't available in the US but there's a very good FSP SFX 300W PSU (which I used for that build and for my own home server as well).

Thanks for the recommendation - I'll look into that. I'm in Canada so my options are limited I found.
(2014-10-14, 19:31)edge06 Wrote:
(2014-10-14, 19:29)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Even with an i7 and 6 x 3.5" HDD, SSD and 16GB RAM, 450W is overkill. I just build an i7-4790K machine with a 300W PSU and it uses 150W running Prime95. The beQuiet PSU isn't available in the US but there's a very good FSP SFX 300W PSU (which I used for that build and for my own home server as well).

Thanks for the recommendation - I'll look into that. I'm in Canada so my options are limited I found.

http://www.amazon.ca/Certified-300-Watt-...B004VF4R4U
You would be just as fine with a celeron g1820 or even a pentium 3240 if you want overkill. would save you 70cad.
I'm running a i3 3220t on my w8 based server, with transcoding, downloading, running mysql and survalence software I never touch 10%.
You can try unraid. www.limetechnology.com

That is what I am running. I will have my specs on my sig in a minute.

I have this NAS running Sickrage and Couchpotato, I also have OpenVPN and Transmission (my own seedbox!) installed. I used to have Plex installed as well but could not figure out how to route its traffic around the VPN so I can watch my stuff away from home. The Plex server now lives on my ServerWMC machine.

You don't need to go all out on the hardware. There are some enthusiasts on the Unraid forums who do have beastly machine...for what you need, you can save quite a bit of money. My unraid license enables me to use up to 24 drives, I believe. I will never get that close because Im keeping my build small, I do have space for 11 hard drives in a mini-itx case, though. I no longer use the Lian Li since I bought a new case. I just haven't put the name down because I have a similar build to what you are trying to do.

NAS: Lian Li Q25B | Asus P8H77-I | Intel Celeron G540 (Dual Core 2.5ghz) | 4GB RAM | 21TB | UNRAID Pro| Apps: Couchpotato, Sickrage, Transmission, and OpenVPN
Yes very similar to what I built recently:

LIAN LI PC-Q25B mini ITX $120
Intel Celeron G540 2.5GHz LGA1155 65W $50
Asus P8H77 LGA 1155 Intel H77 Mini-ITX $99
G SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ DDR3 1600 $29
Corsair Builder Series CX430 V2 430W $45

I couldn't be bothered to learn basic Linux stuff so I went with a spare copy of Win7 and it's been running like a charm!
Got 4 HDD's in there and will grab a 5th to get Flexraid up and running soon.
My home server these days:

Fractal Design Node 304
FSP SFX 300W 80+ PSU
Giada N70E-DR Celeron C1037U mini-ITX motherboard
1 x 4GB Crucial SO-DIMM RAM
64GB mSATA SSD (for OS)
1 x 6TB, 2 x 4TB, 2 x 3TB HDDs

Windows Home Server 2011
StableBit DrivePool/Scanner
CrashPlan
MediaBrowser 3 Server
Celeron or pentium processors wont be enough if OP need plex transcoding for 2+ devices simultaniously plus running other server/client programs like a PVR back-end for example and/or Virtualization software like "Docker" that OP also mentioned. If that is the case then i7 is more future proof.

The way to go will be to use a full Windows or Linux Server depending on your needs, Unraid "only" won't give you flexibility for those kind of applications.

You could also install a light weight OS like arch linux and run XEN to create different virtual machines to run windows, unraid, linux at the same time, that's more complex and perhaps not needed but it is possibe and there are good tutorials out there. XEN is better than EsXi and is open source. Nice as a project

BTW if you're really going to do virrtualization then don't forget to pick a processor that supports hardware virtualization.

I would go with Windows Server and StableBit Drive Pool too, as is the best of his kind so far.
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
There are quite a few people using unraid who have advanced builds. I wouldn't say there is no flexibility. Check the forums if you are looking for anything more advanced, OP.
|Kodi: Nvidia Shield 2019|Media Server: Unraid 40TB|TV Tuner: HDHR Prime|Server Apps: TVHeadend w/ Cablecard (FIOS), Plex (Kodi backend), Radarr, Sonarr

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[NAS] Mid-range NAS/Homeserver Build0