Want to buy a fully made HTPC
Hey everyone,

I would like to buy a fully assimilated HTPC mainly because I do not have experience in fitting components together and I don't really have too much time on my hands.

The main points that need to be checked are that:

1. It can run XBMC fast and has great wifi (I would like to install Windows 7 or 8 as an operating system
2. It can work well with 'Rom Collection Browser' for playing emulated games
3. Play Steam games but they don't have to be on max settings

Unfortunately, I'm a bit stuck on where to start looking.
The only fully built HTPC I've come across that seems to work ok is the 'Zotac ZBox ID83' that I saw on Youtube.
Is there a better option that this.

Thank you in advance!
Ok let me try to take a stab at this. If you are open and flexible, then the amazon firetv is the way to go.
You can do 1080p and along with that you can bring in all the amazon content such as Netflix and A&E etc etc on xbmc natively.
You can install retroarch and emulator work works very well. The amazon controller is also stable and works well.

Issues I see with the amazon firetv is that I don’t believe it can do 5.1 on xbmc unless you have a passthrough to a processor which I do so for me it dosen’t make a difference.

If you want an HTPC only then go with the intel nuc i5 or the i3 version. I have made htpc’s for the nuc since the initial release of nuc. The new NUC has a built in IR and you can power on or power off the nuc with the remote. Note: The power on and power off works well with windows 7. Windows 8 schemes are different so the nuc will go to sleep. The PC version has a few limitations. You cannot get the official Netflix app and the designed apps, so in that case you have to use the browser. Its significantly more expensive.

If you do choose to go the firetv route. I suggest pick one up from staples and soon and do the custom recovery to ensure you can root and so on. Once the firetv is setup, you will like it. Not to mention the remote is responsive unlike the htpc remote I had.
You will spent way too much money on an HTPC that's already put together. There are tons of tutorial videos on Youtube...everyone has atleast 5 minutes a day to learn how to do something..
|Kodi: Nvidia Shield 2019|Media Server: Unraid 40TB|TV Tuner: HDHR Prime|Server Apps: TVHeadend w/ Cablecard (FIOS), Plex (Kodi backend), Radarr, Sonarr
(2014-10-15, 02:27)SheHateMe Wrote: You will spent way too much money on an HTPC that's already put together. There are tons of tutorial videos on Youtube...everyone has atleast 5 minutes a day to learn how to do something..

Hahaha then you sir or mam should just build him one.

5 minutes to spare LMAO

Sorry but I couldn't help myself.
(2014-10-15, 00:18)stage44 Wrote: Hey everyone,

I would like to buy a fully assimilated HTPC mainly because I do not have experience in fitting components together and I don't really have too much time on my hands.

The main points that need to be checked are that:

1. It can run XBMC fast and has great wifi (I would like to install Windows 7 or 8 as an operating system
2. It can work well with 'Rom Collection Browser' for playing emulated games
3. Play Steam games but they don't have to be on max settings

Unfortunately, I'm a bit stuck on where to start looking.
The only fully built HTPC I've come across that seems to work ok is the 'Zotac ZBox ID83' that I saw on Youtube.
Is there a better option that this.

Thank you in advance!

There are a couple of guys on this site that sell custom HTPCs.

I can definitely help out with that. I've helped quite a few folks here. Feel free to send me a PM.
My setup was built in 2013 for ~$500
It is low power, and is very capable of doing everything you said, plus its 4K capable.
I use Steam in home streaming and am currently playing Shadows of Mordor in ultra settings with the HD Texture packs and it is FLAWLESS.
The Zotac box you mentioned will like be convenient, but you can get and do so much more with a custom built system. (Plus it looks nice, not like a cheap Android box box <-----Thats an opinion, don't blast me guys and girls)
Bottom line, if you are to scared to build your own, get someone to help you....better in the end.

Did i mention you can upgrade?

Case
Wesena, ITX7-B (Black) - 100% Aluminum, Mini HTPC chassis
Main Parts
MSI Z87I LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard with Military Class Component, WiFi+BT, WiDi, 4K UHD
Intel Core i3-4130 Haswell Dual-Core 3.4GHz LGA 1150 54W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4400 BX80646I34130
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model BLT4G3D1608ET3LX0
OCZ Agility 4 AGT4-25SAT3-64G 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Cooling
Noctua NF-R8 PWM 80mm Case Fan
Dynatron T459 Low Profile Active Copper LGA1156 Intel Core i3/i5/i7 CPU Cooler
Power
8 Amp 12 Volt Ac Power Adapter with 3 Prong Plug with 5 Mm Dc Output Jack, 3224-12V
Mini-Box picoPSU-160-XT High Power 24 Pin Mini-ITX Power Supply (160 watts)
Accessories
NZXT IU01 Case Accessory (internal to give more USB and better power distribution)
Mele F10-PRO 2.4G Wireless Keyboard 2 in 1 Intelligent Voice with IR Remote Control for PC TV Media Player (perfect wireless keyboard/mouse/remote solution)
WESENA IR RECEIVER (allows use of any IR Media remote, is internal for a cleaner look, it is not used in my setup, but if you don't like the included remote it allows for an alternative)
The new Aleinware Alpha looks
like a good all in one package for under 600$. add 15$ for an IR remote.

If time investment is a concern, I think that the real time sink goes into software configuration. Trying to get your XBMC setup 'Juuuuust right :3' with addons or whatever, it can be a chore.

I still need to do some work to make my Xbox 360 controllers more suitable for XBMC navigation when not gaming.
30 years in computer hardware engineering has taught me one thing; Individual components from different manufacturers do change over time, even with the same part number sometimes causing an issue even experienced techs can have issues with. Pre built hardware has the advantage in that the manufacturer, (major not no name or obscure name), has already gone through the R and D, setup BIOS, developed drivers and setup robust technical support teams. I admit sometimes there are exceptions. Products such as Intel nuc, Zotac id91, Asus, Lenovo mini pc, are products you should probably start your search with. It would be hard to go wrong with any one of them. Just check the specifications to make sure the box has the options you are looking for. You may have to purchase memory and a hard drive for any or all of these but that should not deter you from considereing a product. When family mmbers call and ask me to build something for them, I refuse. If I build it, I own it for the life of that product no matter what. If I suggest one of three manufacturers, their technical support own the product. Finally, your box will most likely cost around $300.000 to $400.00 including hard drive and memory. Your requirements pretty well exclude any of the cheap black boxes coming out of China at this time.

Even with all this, it will still take some work to setup everything you want in Windows/XBMC or OpenElec, or Huh!

My setup:

Zotac id91
Zotac remote
2X4 gig memory
120 gig SSD
SiliconDust HDHR3-US
Lenovo Bluetooth travel keyboard and mouse
Windows 7
XBMC Gotham 13.2

Good luck with your search.

Foodog
(2014-10-15, 03:09)Benney Wrote:
(2014-10-15, 02:27)SheHateMe Wrote: You will spent way too much money on an HTPC that's already put together. There are tons of tutorial videos on Youtube...everyone has atleast 5 minutes a day to learn how to do something..

Hahaha then you sir or mam should just build him one.

5 minutes to spare LMAO

Sorry but I couldn't help myself.

I'm not sure whats so funny, but, I think it has something to do with your maturity level.

It would be more cost effective for the OP to learn how to build a machine on his/her own. You don't have to sit down and watch a 1 hour video to learn something if you don't have the time. Many people can spare 5 minutes. I find it hard to believe that the OP is so busy that he doesn't have 5 minutes a day to set aside for something.

Even if he buys a pre-built HTPC...he would still have to configure it and setup XBMC the way he likes...that also requires time. So, if he doesn't have time to learn how to build a computer, he probably doesn't have time to setup XBMC either.
|Kodi: Nvidia Shield 2019|Media Server: Unraid 40TB|TV Tuner: HDHR Prime|Server Apps: TVHeadend w/ Cablecard (FIOS), Plex (Kodi backend), Radarr, Sonarr
To the OP. What are you really trying to achieve. As said, PC is an expensive alternative. the amazon firetv works well but it lacks storage. If you like to stream directly and have the native apps such as netflix and other tv channels, the firetv can get the job done smoothly. I personally use spmc which is a branch of xbmc customized for the firetv.
Can the FireTV run 'Rom Collection Browser' and Steam as the OP asks?
Chromebox no good?
(2014-10-15, 21:40)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Can the FireTV run 'Rom Collection Browser' and Steam as the OP asks?

The FireTV cannot run steam. I believe emulators work on it, I havent tried any of that since I bought it for my parents.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Want to buy a fully made HTPC0