2 SMB Drives will not connect, others fine
Hey Guys

I recently went through the process of syncing my XMBC instances with MySQL.

It's been working great, but on my Ouya, I cannot access 2 of my 10 SMB externals (yeah, I'm a bit of a pack-rat). All drives are on the same Window 8.0 64-bit PC.

What's strange is all Windows PCs can connect to the drives in question, but not the Ouya.

I went through sharing permissions and verified that the malfunctioning drives were configured the same as those drives that were functioning.

I also verified ownership of all files is the same on both malfunctioning and functioning drives.

Any Ideas?

Gotham 13.2 on Android
Windows 8.0 64 bit
Hardwired Ethernet Connections

Thanks for your time.
i can almost guarantee that your problem is with the security settings of the drive not the sharing settings. that why your other pcs on your homegroup can connect to the files and not you ouya because it is not a windows pc thus it cant join the homegroup. make sure in the security tab in the properties for the hard drives in question is set up so that 'everyone' is listed and if not add it to each drive.
Rontonomo, thanks for giving my issue a look....

I'm with you, but sure enough, all drives have "Everyone" listed in permissions.

Right now, functioning drives are set with "Everyone" given "read" permissions.

I've tried upping the malfunctioning drives to "Full Control",

I've tried adding the user account my ouya is using to access the shared files, giving that full control.

Still no luck
Ok, so I tried moving one of the drives to a different PC on the network.

SAME ISSUE

Which blows my mind... maybe indicating that it's not the permissions? Yet something specific to the drive?

Yet, I have many seagate drives, several of this model... only two are not functioning.
In case anyone cares ...

I eventually spoke with seagate and the tech (actually regular, smart guy) let me know that not all of their drives are compatible with android / linux. Sometimes you get lucky, some times you don't.

The latest 4TB external I got from seagate the other day is reading fine on android / linux, so the plan is to just replace these drives with ones that work... use the drives for another purpose besides networking XMBC.

Thanks for the eyes
I think that seagate tech is either trolling you or doesn't know what he's talking about. If it's over SMB then it won't matter at all as long as the SMB host can see the drive. The format of the drive, the type of drive, the size, none of that matters to the SMB client on the other end. I've also never ever seen a seagate drive that didn't work on linux through SMB or directly connected (SATA or USB).
I kinda zoned out on his explanation... but it had something to do with the manufacturing process for these cheap externals. Something about how they modify the size based on orders and things get "crunched"....

He did indicate that there were methods for getting the drive to play nice with linux (not android), but pulled one of those "it's not supported, but you can find out how to do it"

but a failure after some brief googling, and a rationalization about using the drives elsewhere, i decided it wasn't worth the headache.
Yeah, but if all these drives are connected to a Windows box that is a SMB share, the SMB clients don't care anything about that as long as Windows can play nicely with the drives. He might be talking about a direct connection via SATA or USB, but that shouldn't apply to this situation.
I hear you, ned. I've just tapped everyone I know personally with linux experience and no one's familiar with this issue.

You have any ideas?

I've formatted, changed drive letters, made partitions, de-shared, re-shared, tried countless permissions permutations, tried changing ownership multiple times, shared under different names, shared from different PCs - all times i have the same reaction from the android / linux devices, "Invalid Argument" from ouya and "Could not connect" via FX on my android phone. Networked Windows 8 PCs use them no problem.
Their security tabs are set up wrong, thats why it happens on everything you put them in.
(2014-10-15, 15:34)lostramblin Wrote: all drives have "Everyone" listed in permissions.
Right now, functioning drives are set with "Everyone" given "read" permissions.
I've tried upping the malfunctioning drives to "Full Control",

(2014-10-18, 01:04)lostramblin Wrote: made partitions, de-shared, re-shared, tried countless permissions permutations, tried changing ownership multiple times, shared under different names, shared from different PCs

Reading through your previous posts, you say that the Ouya cannot join my homegroup. Yes, it cannot join it, but has no problem connecting to it and reading 8 out of 10 USB externals on that same PC.

And why would the security follow after a full format / partition / share on new partition?

I can also assure you I've tried every setting on the security tab, matching them up to all the other shared drives.

Working with linux / android left, Not working right

(I know the ownership is system, which works fine for the other drive. I've also tried "Everyone" and the user I'm logging in as for ownership, no change)

There may be some setting I'm not aware of, but these are the areas I know to check. My buddy is a tier 2 at VMWare and a linux guy, and he sat down for an hour and couldn't figure this out.

I'm not saying the guy at seagate was right about networking (I'm thinking with Ned that he was maybe talking USB), but I've yet to see any solution beyond people assuming I can't read the security settings.
It is very strange. I wish I knew what steps to take next to troubleshoot further, but I'm still scratching my head.
in the pictures you posted you are clearly not the owner in the security tab! this can cause the exact issue that you are having! change the owner to your username and then make sure that the child objects inherit the permissions. (just like i said the first two times)
I suggest you create a user like 'kodi' incl. password on your server, create folders on your harddrives where the data is stored (like "Q:\MoviesVII" shared as "\\server\MoviesVII") and share those namely for those users that should have access, especially for this new user 'kodi' (permissions tab, but you can also use these restrictive permissions on the share tab for security reasons).

Important is that you than use 'kodi's credentials in your passwords.xml...

Example:
Code:
<passwords>
    <path>
        <from pathversion="1">smb://server-IP/MoviesVII</from>
        <to pathversion="1">smb://servername%5ckodi:password@server-IP/MoviesVII</to>
    </path>
    <path>
        <from pathversion="1">smb://server-IP/MoviesIX</from>
        <to pathversion="1">smb://servername%5ckodi:password@server-IP/MoviesIX</to>
    </path>
</passwords>

You could try this with at least one of the drives you cannot connect to.
Bye,
Fry
Kodi v17.6 with shared MariaDB v10.3 | HTS Tvheadend 4.2.6 on RPi2 | running on:
Windows 10x64 | Nvidia Shield | FireTV4k | FireTVStick4 | Android 5 | RPi3 with OSMC
@ned, thanks for the eyes. I'm in the same boat.

@rontonomo... as explained below the photo, I tried other ownership options - including everyone, administrator, main user account on PC....I didn't think it was necessary to show a screen shot for each option i tried to you, but hey.... And the one on the left in fact works, so...

@Fry, thanks for the help.

I've actually already tried exactly that (well, not using the name kodi, but xbmct). No luck.

I'll probably give these drives a second look in a little while, but I've offloaded them and the new drives are working fine. I do video editing for a living, so my business "bought" these drives and now I'm using them for local use... which is why i'm not shedding too many tears over this confusion

Thanks for all the help though!

If you're reading this thread with the same issue, hope some of the above suggestions do it for you... will update if I find a solution.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2 SMB Drives will not connect, others fine0