Win Confused about scraping
Hi guys

When i import a new folder containing movies i have the option to choose either a scraper like TMDB for instance or Local.

This is where im confused.

I thought that choosing TMDB or a similar scraper would look for local info first and use the local info if available and if it is not available XBMC will access the selected scraper. It this correct?

What happens if i select Local only? Will it only select locally stored info and never use the internet scrapers? So in this case i will have to already have all the info stored in the movies folder for it to display correctly? Such as setting up the info through Ember Media Manager?

Have i got this right?

Thanks.
Mostly you have the information correct. The local scraper doesn't use the internet at all, great for someone rebuilding their library quickly or pulling in manually produced meta-data

Using Ember would work for creating local meta-data, but exporting your library in settings as separate files, places the meta-data in each folder without the need for a 3rd party media manager.
I'm not 100% but I believe it goes something like this:

1. If you specify a scraper such as TMDB it will always 1st check for local info and if available will use this local data in preference to online data, however it may still scrape missing data from online, so useful where you have partial nfo that doesn't provide data for all the info fields the XBMC supports as the missing data can still be downloaded.

2. Local will only ever look for local info and won't ever look online for anything, so you may end up with blank info fields in the XBMC gui if the data is missing from your local info files.
Thanks guys.

Whats your take on Ember or any other external media manager?

Do you think its worthwhile or do you find the XBMC does an as-good or better job?

How do you guys have yours set up?
There was a time Ember was head & shoulders above what XBMC offered, those days have passed and XBMC-Kodi is my proffered scraper, it's scrapes directly into the library with a choice of scrapers and in some cases split scrapes. Artwork Downloader really handles the images and thumbnails well without a lot of fuss.
I use Media Companion. Works great and all my art/metadata is local. Probably not needed, but makes it easy to edit my data, rather than get into debates as to what online data is "correct".

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
cheers guys

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Confused about scraping0