• 3(current)
Google Nexus Player
No ethernet, odd design and only 8GB. ADT-1 had 16GB. Will stick with Fire TV and see if other Android TV boxes get announced.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
Very interesting... Meanwhile I just ordered my FireTV, hoping that it has the right firmware.
yeah I'm in the ethernet crowd here. No Ethernet no go for me..

(2014-10-16, 01:27)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: yeah I'm in the ethernet crowd here. No Ethernet no go for me..

agreed, i've had a bad experience with the instability of wifi
This is a huge let down for me. I was holding off upgrading my ouya to the firetv thinking google would put out something decent. No full sized usb and no ethernet. WTF were they thinking.
We should see other OEMs start coming out with Android TV based boxes shortly now that Google has announced this. We may also see a number of Android TV based boxes during CES 2015 I am betting. We have herd that a few other OEMs were working on Android TV based boxes back during Google IO. Sony was one such OEM I do believe but I may be wrong. Yeah the lack of Ethernet and just micro usb instead of full usb sort of kills it for me as well since I rip my blurays to 1:1 copies using MakeMKV for personally use in the home.
Well, too me having no ethernet port isn't that big of deal since it has 802.11ac 2x2 wi-fi and 5GHz is more stable than 2.4GHz. I have a AC1300 router and my Ouya connected to a AC Bridge, with them separated by 3 walls and 30ft. and stream full BDs without any stuttering, buffering or drops.

The bigger issues will be the 8GB of storage (which will end up being only about 5GB of free space) and the micro USB. If storage is expandable via the micro-USB then that will be one thing, if not then that is going to be the real limitation.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
My DLNA server is only connected via 802.11n with 3 walls and a full wall of cabinetry between it and my new Linksys AC1200+ router.it might be connected via 300mbps but the signal quality is kind of shitty for streaming if the other device is not hard wired into the Router or sitting on top of it basically. AKA my mobile devices have some issues if I am not sitting right on top of the router for signal purpose. But at this point in time we are also in the process of getting a new house built with proper wiring to each of the rooms.
(2014-10-16, 02:05)calev Wrote: This is a huge let down for me. I was holding off upgrading my ouya to the firetv thinking google would put out something decent. No full sized usb and no ethernet. WTF were they thinking.

+1
(2014-10-16, 03:15)Topken Wrote: My DLNA server is only connected via 802.11n with 3 walls and a full wall of cabinetry between it and my new Linksys AC1200+ router.it might be connected via 300mbps but the signal quality is kind of shitty for streaming if the other device is not hard wired into the Router or sitting on top of it basically. AKA my mobile devices have some issues if I am not sitting right on top of the router for signal purpose. But at this point in time we are also in the process of getting a new house built with proper wiring to each of the rooms.

Yeah, but your connecting at "N" or "B/G/N" and not "AC". And if your router is 2.4GHz + 5GHz, but your server is only 2.4GHz then that is what your connecting to your router and the 5GHz 802.11ac isn't being used.

At the least if your DLNA server is 802.11n (or b/g/n) then at most your only connecting to it at "N" speeds.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Its connected via the N 5ghz band at 300mbps but like I said i have a low quailty signal between it and the router right now but in the new house I should be able to hardwire the connection at 1gbE speeds since both the ethernet port on the PC and the Router are 1gbE ports. Heck after replacing my dying router with this one my internet speeds tripled from Comcast from 20mbps to 60mbps. Hence why I am waiting to see if anyone puts out a Android TV based device at this price point with an 1gbE ethernet port and a optical audio out port.
(2014-10-16, 06:10)Topken Wrote: Its connected via the N 5ghz band at 300mbps but like I said i have a low quailty signal between it and the router right now but in the new house I should be able to hardwire the connection at 1gbE speeds since both the ethernet port on the PC and the Router are 1gbE ports. Heck after replacing my dying router with this one my internet speeds tripled from Comcast from 20mbps to 60mbps. Hence why I am waiting to see if anyone puts out a Android TV based device at this price point with an 1gbE ethernet port and a optical audio out port.

Yeah N looks great in a room with nothing in it but once walls are up signal drops. That's why I have all my XBMC boxes hard wired in. No problems that way..

We really don't even need a 1gb ethernet it will do just fine with 100mb ethernet since its just reading the files..

The 300mbps is max (capable) speed not actual. Over "N" the best speeds that you can get is about 120mbps (15MBps). And that's going to be only if your bottleneck isn't at the CPU or some other factor, wired or wireless.

Even though your router may be AC, it is still going to bottlenecked at N speeds due to your server being N.

No doubt your internet is probably faster, but that has nothing to do with your local network. And again, this is about the Nexus player being 802.11ac, which if you have a AC router and it's not too far from the box then network speeds will be faster than 10/100 wired.

But before I would jump on getting a Nexus Player, I would wait to see what else comes out. Something like the Razer micro-console or some other unannounced device could be a better option.
Really Google, no Ethernet. Your trying to take over the living room, and you leave out something as simple as a Ethernet port. What was wrong with the developer box, actually had a design to it. I thought we were gonna get the adt-1 model plus Tegra K1 instead of 4, which was on the adt-1 model. Hopefully Android Lollipop TV can be ported to the FireTV.
Like I said once we get the new house built the networking situation will change for the better. the DLNA server is an i5 3570k with a gtx 660 ti and 8gb of ram and windows 7 so yeah its also my main gaming rig but doubles as a DLNA/Transcoding machine for when its needed and I am not using it to game. I am hopping for a 10/100/1000 ethernet enabled Android TV box since all the cheaper chinese made stuff seem to have 1gbE on the ethernet ports.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Google Nexus Player7