• 9(current)
Google Nexus Player
There is no advantage whatever for xbmc, possibly only disadvantage.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-10-24, 22:11)henrikyo Wrote: I already have a mac mini connected to the tv, which boots automatically into xbmc when turned on

whats the benefits of having a box like fire tv or this google box? is it because it uses android store, so i can download apps like viaplay, nrk (streaming stuff).

and i guess i can install xbmc just by allowing apks or maybe having it rooted.

But ye, what ar the benefits? is there any reason for me to sell the mac mini

XBMC-wise, it should be no change or some less options with Google/Fire TV, depending on your usage.

However, you will often find remote-friendly versions of apps and services you can't normally get in XBMC/Kodi, and you can easily switch between XBMC and those other apps. You can even set XBMC up as a launcher for everything else.

You can get this content on a normal x86 computer like the mac mini, but it's often not in a very remote-friendly client.
Thanks guys, i get what you mean, but for the small set of addons i use i guess im fine

i also have my trustworthy harmony one which works great with xbmc, so in a way ill be downgrading by buying a box like this

just had to know, thanks for taking the time to answer me Smile
TV: UE55F8005
XBMC: Mac mini 2012 with windows 8.1
SOUND: Sonos playbar + Sonos Sub + 2x Rear Play: 3
Sll i can say is I won't buy a device based on what it might do tomorrow, I'm interested in what it can do today. This box is meant for Android users amd developers, so I wouldn't expect TOO much. I think that an Intel NUC still wins here, you can install android on it if thats what you need.
At $99 with a remote, I'm still intrigued by this. At that price it falls into the "impulse buy" territory for someone like me who likes to experiment with A/V gadgets. Unfortunately, it looks like Google might be flubbing the release of this. Their website says that you can "pre-order" it, but with no specifics as to when the official release is. Then, you click over to the Play store to see about pre-ordering it, and it indicates that they sold out their inventory. Seriously? Even with the gajillion of Apple iPhone 6's that Apple is selling, they still let you order them and give you an indication as to the wait time.

Personally, I don't want to buy online from Google, anyway. I'd prefer to pop into Best Buy and grab one. But now I'm wondering if these things will be easily obtainable before the end of the year.
(2014-10-25, 18:30)Scott R Wrote: At $99 with a remote, I'm still intrigued by this. At that price it falls into the "impulse buy" territory for someone like me who likes to experiment with A/V gadgets. Unfortunately, it looks like Google might be flubbing the release of this. Their website says that you can "pre-order" it, but with no specifics as to when the official release is. Then, you click over to the Play store to see about pre-ordering it, and it indicates that they sold out their inventory. Seriously? Even with the gajillion of Apple iPhone 6's that Apple is selling, they still let you order them and give you an indication as to the wait time.

Personally, I don't want to buy online from Google, anyway. I'd prefer to pop into Best Buy and grab one. But now I'm wondering if these things will be easily obtainable before the end of the year.

Doesn't sound like you want it that bad then if you dont want to buy online and only buy one if it's easy to get hold of Tongue
I don't mind buying online. But I want immediate gratification. I'll buy online if I can get it shipped to me in 2 days. Buy now and wait for who knows how long just to find out *when* they think they might send me one? No thanks.
(2014-10-19, 16:39)fyodor Wrote: Does anyone know if the newer generations of atom processors can do high quality 1080i deinterlacing? Thanks.

I'd like to know this as well. I returned my FireTV because it couldn't handle deinterlacing my mpeg2 OTA recordings. Anyone?
(2014-10-28, 00:19)giant25 Wrote:
(2014-10-19, 16:39)fyodor Wrote: Does anyone know if the newer generations of atom processors can do high quality 1080i deinterlacing? Thanks.

I'd like to know this as well. I returned my FireTV because it couldn't handle deinterlacing my mpeg2 OTA recordings. Anyone?
They can under Linux (like example in XBMC under OpenELEC), but I'm not sure if supported under Android.
http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/29/nexus...on-google/
(2014-10-30, 10:35)Joster Wrote: http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/29/nexus...on-google/

Most reporters seem to like the idea of the voice search feature, just like their initial impressions with the voice search feature on Amazon Fire TV.
Got to admit that working voice search support inside XBMC/Kodi would be an awesomely cool feature to have in a media player at home!
(2014-10-30, 16:36)Hedda Wrote: Got to admit that working voice search support inside XBMC/Kodi would be an awesomely cool feature to have in a media player at home!

already possible : http://yatse.leetzone.org/redmine/projec...ceCommands
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2014-10-30, 16:57)bry- Wrote:
(2014-10-30, 16:36)Hedda Wrote: Got to admit that working voice search support inside XBMC/Kodi would be an awesomely cool feature to have in a media player at home!

already possible : http://yatse.leetzone.org/redmine/projec...ceCommands

Isn't that for the android app yatse? I'm guessing that doesn't work with the FireTV hardware remote.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMWD0iDials

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/11/g...d-product/
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Google Nexus Player7