Still no XBMC.org addons
This is now week two of trying to get XBMC up and running on Raspbian.

I've completely rebuilt and resintalled XBMC. Unfortunately, the build finished just as the XBMC mirrors went offline for the weekend for relocation, and the servers were offline again last night when I tried updating then.

Supposedly the mirrors are back online now. I've deleted the whole of the .xbmc directory (as deleting only selected files therefrom per instructions elsewhere wasn't doing the trick). Still, I get an empty XBMC.org repository list under System > Add-ons > Get Add-ons > XBMC.org Add-ons. I've done both "check for update" and "force refresh" several dozen times this morning and afternoon. Still nothing.

Suggestions? I'm not the only user who has faced this issue over the years, as I can see from numerous posts here and dredged up elsewhere by Google search. Yet there seems to be no resolution other than the consensus admonition to delete certain files and directories.

Looking at the logs, I'm seeing that "check for updates" complains that both "/root/.xbmc/addons" and "/usr/lib/xbmc/addons" don't exist ("No such file or directory"), when in fact both folders exist and contain files. (Yes, XBMC is running as root, per instructions here: http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianXBMC -- if someone could advise how to get it running not as root, I'd be much obliged.) Root owns both folders and has full read/write access to same.

Meanwhile, "force refresh" appears to successfully reach out to addons/eden/addonons.xml, but likewise throws "No such file or directory" on the two addons directories and subsequently closes the connection with the XBMC.org mirror server.

So, if both folders were created and are owned by the root user, and the XBMC app is running as root, why on earth would it be complaining that neither folder can be found?
Stop using Eden
It's not supported anymore
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Ah, well that'd be the first problem.

I'm following the instructions here: http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianXBMC Which are clearly out of date then. I'll drop them a mash note to that effect.

If someone could direct me to instructions to install XBMC on Raspbian with something more current than Eden, that'd be a good start.

I would note that the above is the link provided by the Raspberry Pi FAQ linked to from the Downloads page at XBMC.org. You will note that the FAQ itself identifies itself as being for Kodi (per document title), but it links to instructions that install Eden.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ras...spberry_Pi

This is reached thusly: XBMC.org > Downloads > Raspberry Pi > Installing XBMC on the Raspberry Pi.

If the linked to information is no longer valid, then perhaps the FAQ needs updating with a more accurate instruction set for building the currently supported version of XBMC on Raspbian.
We suggest OpenElec on raspberry pi
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Hi topfs2. Not sure who 'we" are, as the XBMC.org site lists four options for Raspberry Pi, of which OpenELEC is only one, but yes, thank you. I'm aware of both OpenELEC and Raspbmc. I will use one or the other when I set up a dedicated set-top Raspberry Pi media player for my neighbor.

However, this install is not for a dedicated media box. I expect to use XBMC infrequently on a box otherwise being used as a NAS, cloud sync server, X11 client and programming environment.

Thus, installing an operating system optimized for running XBMC and only XBMC is non-optimal. That would be like telling someone running Windows that the best way to run XBMC is to install a disk image of Windows that has been optimized for running XBMC and only XBMC. Fine if that's all they ever plan to do with that computer, but not the best solution if they want to use the device for more than running XBMC.

That said, the problem remains that XMBC.org itself links to instructions for installing XBMC on Raspbian, but that these instructions are for a version of XBMC that (I'm told above) is no longer supported. So, either the instructions ought to be brought up to date or else the link to them from XBMC.org should be removed and users told that they have no option but to install a custom OS image to run XBMC on their Pi. (I, for one, would prefer the former solution.)

BTW, I've posted a note to the Raspbian forum advising them that the instructions provided on their site (again, linked to from XBMC.org) are for a version of XBMC that is no longer supported.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewto...=89338&e=0

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Still no XBMC.org addons0