Android armanda mach 8 android edition to pure linux?
hello everybody, i'm new to the xbmc scene

i recently purchased an armada mach 8 box (android edition) it cost me $146 total shipping, duty tax, etc. and i immediately regretted the purchased after using it for a day.

1. the wifi is terrible, had to buy a $10 40ft ethernet cable to connect (all other devices in the house run good on wifi, except this box)
2. gives option for ota update but it doesn't even work for the android (why have it in the first place)
3. android, i don't need the google play store or any other android feature.

now here is the thing, armada has a pure linux edition of the same box, same specs, etc.

i contacted the distributor and asked them if i can purchase the pure linux os to flash my current box to make it pure linux, they refused (and were quite rude about it, i suggest you never buy a product from theaterinabox)

the individual on the phone said i would have to ship my box to a technician, pay for the os installation and pay for the shipment back... this makes no sense to me because it's just a new os flash on hardware that is already compatible, he said something like i have to get the mac address, blah blah blah

so my question is, can i install another OS on this box? for example raspbian, openelec, raspbmc, etc.(I don't want android)

or will it brick it?

ps. it's already rooted
i contact the armada tv box people and they said if i install any other firmware it would brick the box

is this legit?

i don't understand why it wouldn't be open to install other os on it
First let me say I'm no expert on this but here's what I would do.

watch a and understand this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SpIYDKJ...e=youtu.be

you can always roll back to the original android using this procedure.... just don't ever break of a up/downgrade process let it finish.
thanks for the reply

i'm aware of that video

i emailed the armada box guys and they said if i install any other os on it, it will brick the system

i don't know legit this is, maybe they are just lying because they don't want me to use it for anything else

can somebody that's more familiar with these things please give me some answers
Looking at the video I see recovery.img and a procedure to force the boot from the SD card.
These procedures are to recover from a bricked state...
Ask the Armada box guys if that is sufficient to recover from what they call "brick the box"
Let us know if they say that it's not enough...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
armanda mach 8 android edition to pure linux?0