Hard Subs Gotham 13.2
Will hard subs still show if subtitles are turned off? If not how do I get hard subs only to display? I've tried a few movies that should have them and either I backed them up incorrectly or they just aren't displaying.
Hard subs are always on regardless, they cannot be turned off, that is by definition what a hard sub is. If your subs are not displaying then they would be soft subbed and can be turned on and off in xbmc.

Dependent on file type/s, they can be muxed into the video file such a .mkv, or come seperately as .srt, .sub and .idx or even .ass file extensions.
Handbrake will let you choose to keep/add sub files from video if they are available. Alternately use xbmc subtitle downloader add-on and just download the missing ones as you require if you don't wish to go via the re-encode/re-mux route.
Hard subs are burnt into the actual video and thus are always present.

Do you perhaps mean forced subs? which are soft subs that should always be displayed even if subtitle setting is off.
I could be mistaken on the name. Forced subs sounds like that may be the proper term I am looking for. There are some movies where they are dominantly in English and no subs are needed. Then occasionally a foreign language is used and subs pop up so you know what they are saying.

I have been using Makemkv to convert my m2ts files to mkv. Should those subs be included in that? I used to use handbrake but wanted to get away from compression and time consumption required for ripping my whole library to HDD.

With the XBMC subtitle downloader will that just display the subs that are needed or everything. I can currently turn subs on in all of my movies but then you simply see EVERYTHING that is said in the whole movie. I'm just looking for words spoken in foreign languages and nothing more.
MakeMKV has the ability to select which subs you want to mux into the mkv file. I usually save all the subs in my preffered language since I don't trust the "Forced Only" option. The film makers sometimes hide the forced track and you may have to find it an flag it yourself. MKVtoolnix is very good and fairly easy to use to edit the headers if needed.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
I'll admit I'm a bit of a noob on the MMKV program so maybe you can enlighten me. My process is to rip the BD to my HDD and then use the index file in Makemkv. From there I choose the proper movie selection and give a name and say MakeMKV. I have not seen any settings for audio. Should I be doing it a different way? I'm hoping the information is there already as I don't really want to go back and redo 300 movies Sad.
Here is what I see when i launch MakeMKV (mac version)-

You can select which disk drive you want to use and then click the disk icon to load the disk.

Then you will see this window-

It shows each title on the disk. Usually the largest is the main title but not always. Also shows associated audio and sub tracks. There is an option to only save "Forced" tracks and this usually works but some production companies like to be tricky and not flag the tracks so I usually save all the audio and sub tracks in my preferred language, just in case I need to add or edit the flags. You can also set the destination for the new mkv file. And then click the "MakeMKV" button (upper right) to start converting.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
I feel like a tool. It was right under my nose all along. I did a quick movie and english forced is on. I have ripped around 300 movies so far using this very MKV process only I was unaware of the drop down menu part. You mention editing flags, what is that and is it something I can potentially due with other movies I have run through MKV already?

Edit. So Million dollar Arm is one of the problem movies I have noticed so far. I've stuck it back in MKV and clicked that fancy drop down menu under the title and it shows 2 forced English, 1 french and 2 spanish. So when I ripped it last week those would have been checked by default and yet I'm not seeing any forced subs.

Edit. I just ripped it again straight from the disc this time. All of the audio options are checked. Played the movie to a spot where I know there are forced subs and there are not any showing in Media Player Classic. Checked on the subtitles options and Forced Subtitles (Auto)(English) is checked. Do i need to uncheck something else that is conflicting?
Usually for movies like that I rip them with all the subs and then use something like vlc to view them with the various subs until I find the sub I'm looking for. Then I can use the header editor in MKVToolnix to flag that sub as "Forced".
Ok. So after trial and error I figured out which sub it is and remuxed it with that one flagged as default track flag and forced track flag. However once in XBMC I still have to have subs enabled for it to come across. Is this normal? I'd like to avouid having subs enabled as every movie has subs that play through the whole movie and turning them off one by one is not fun. Though I guess I could turn on the ones that need it one by one as there are far fewer of those.
I'm just making wild guesses now but did you refresh the listing in XBMC after making changes to the headers? Not sure if it's necessary or not but might be worth a try.
Subtitles are turned on by default in xbmc - make sure you turn them off (call up OSD while playing a video - then uncheck subtitle option and "set as default for all videos"). Providing you have set the flags correctly then only 'forced' subtitle should display.

EDIT- there is no need to remux the streams into mkv, if they've already been ripped. Just open the mkv in mkvmerge\file\header editor, identify the correct subtitle stream and change the header to 'forced' and save.
I have gone so far as to remove the movie from XBMC completely, clean library, add header edited copy back into the library and hit play. The subs now correctly display only the forced subs so long as subtitles are enabled. However as soon as I turn off subs completely there are no forced subs. My sample movie has been Million Dollar Arm. I also tried Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol and that one works correctly with subs disabled. I don't know if million dollar arm is just different some how or what.

I have also gone so far as to as to rip it again with only that one subtitle track and changed that too forced. Maybe this is a question I need to move over to MKV since at this point I got one movie to work properly.
Download mediainfo and open the Million Dollar Arm file with it to check that the sub stream is correctly flagged.

Unfortunately I don't have that particular movie, but the fact that MI works correctly would suggest an issue with the mkv rather than xbmc. If you want to upload a sample (you can use mkvmerge to cut into small segments, remember and cut a sample with the subtitle stream included) I would happily test.
I will do that. Where can I upload it to?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hard Subs Gotham 13.20