Hard Subs Gotham 13.2
Any file sharing site - Dropbox or similar and post link here.
MediaInfo confirms my main file has subtitle track #6 set as forced. I have confirmed that the segment I made for you is also set to subtitle/Text #6 forced. For subtitles skip to minute 5:34 in the segment I uploaded.

Do you by chance have Captain Phillips? That movie is even worse. Every subtitle I try in that even in VLC, is either no subs or all speech is sub'd.
You only need provide a short clip - the one you supplied is 2+gb (a 200-300mb segement will be sufficient) and I have very poor download speeds.

I do have Captain Phillips. I rip all english sub tracks and then identify the correct stream - either from here http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-th...itles.html, or by demuxing and opening them in BDSup2Sub to check forced streams.

In Captain Phillips I ripped 4 subtitle tracks (English language) of which track number 6 was the 'forced' sub

Code:
General
Unique ID                                : 239289817700187648363467836572951430224 (0xB4058AE337DF8B0179DBEB6B8280C450)
Complete name                            : I:\Videos\Movies\Captain Phillips (2013)\Captain Phillips.mkv
Format                                   : Matroska
Format version                           : Version 2
File size                                : 24.8 GiB
Duration                                 : 2h 14mn
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 26.5 Mbps
Movie name                               : Captain Phillips
Encoded date                             : UTC 2014-03-28 09:30:58
Writing application                      : MakeMKV v1.8.5 win(x86-release)
Writing library                          : libmakemkv v1.8.5 (1.2.0/1.1.0) win(x86-release)

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 2 frames
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 24.5 Mbps
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.493
Stream size                              : 22.9 GiB (92%)
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : No
Forced                                   : No

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : DTS
Format/Info                              : Digital Theater Systems
Mode                                     : 16
Format settings, Endianness              : Big
Codec ID                                 : A_DTS
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 1 509 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                                : 24 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 1.41 GiB (6%)
Title                                    : 3/2+1
Default                                  : Yes

Text #1
ID                                       : 3
Format                                   : PGS
Codec ID                                 : S_HDMV/PGS
Codec ID/Info                            : The same subtitle format used on BDs/HD-DVDs

Text #2
ID                                       : 5
Codec ID/Info                            : The same subtitle format used on BDs/HD-DVDs

Text #3
ID                                       : 6
Forced                                   : Yes

Text #4
ID                                       : 7

Menu
00:00:00.000                             : en:Chapter 01
00:09:12.927                             : en:Chapter 02
00:15:30.137                             : en:Chapter 03
00:22:48.533                             : en:Chapter 04
00:30:11.226                             : en:Chapter 05
00:39:38.501                             : en:Chapter 06
00:48:00.836                             : en:Chapter 07
00:58:24.542                             : en:Chapter 08
01:04:36.539                             : en:Chapter 09
01:13:02.628                             : en:Chapter 10
01:19:14.249                             : en:Chapter 11
01:25:41.261                             : en:Chapter 12
01:34:14.023                             : en:Chapter 13
01:41:44.598                             : en:Chapter 14
01:51:31.768                             : en:Chapter 15
02:02:38.642                             : en:Chapter 16
I ripped MDA at chapter points. Is there a better way to narrow down what I want like play time?

Edit:figured it out. I will try 100mb chunks.

100mb chunk of same clip only shorter. https://www.dropbox.com/s/9xsobbfr7v536a...1.mkv?dl=0
Frosty - tried your file this morning and it displayed the forced subs without a hitch - with one vital provision, I'm using a recent Helix build and see that your using Gotham 13.2. Will revert to 13.2 and see if there are issues with the version you are using. DIdn't notice that till this morning.

EDIT - OK regressed to 13.2 with the same outcome - subs displayed as expected.

Here are screenshots

Helix Nightly

Not sure what your next step should be - perhaps a new/fresh rip of the movie (Scrub that see you've already tried that).Only other alternative is to provide a debug log taken while playing the movie and let one of the devs have a closer look at what's going on.

One other thing you might want to consider is setting MakeMKV with default options, therefore reducing the number of sub languages and audio streams you rip (if all you need is English versions).

Go to MakeMKV\view\preferences - from there you can select your language preference and can also restrict the files that MakeMKV opens (based on times of the files), I only want the main film so I have mine set to only open files over 1000 seconds long, which unless a TVSeries BR, only opens the main feature, ignoring anything under the 1000 second default setting. Occasionally an 'extra' with a duration in excess of that will appear, but not very often.

I have never found MakeMKV to be effective at identifying and flagging sub streams and always double check after ripping and set the flags manually YMMV.
I can't tell from the screen shots, do you have subtitles turned off? I just tried it on another build of mine running Kodi 14 Helix and its the same results. I have to turn subtitles on for them to work properly.

Edit: After some experimenting I've noticed something. I have my movies set to default No Subtitles. I have reset MDA numerous times yet every time I start it the subtitles are enabled and it just plays the ones I've forced. I can turn subtitles off in the movie and restart it and subtitles are turned back on. This does not happen with the other movies in my library. they stay turned off. You might double check as you are watching that clip from me and see if it has turned them back on for that clip even if your default is set to no subs. In general this will work for me as I can leave subs off and it will turn it on for that movie and it only plays the foreign language. It just means I really have to start paying attention to all of these and checking each one :/
That's exactly the behaviour I would expect and surely you would too.

If you only want 'forced' subtitles they should be set to none, as per my earlier post #12. When 'forced' streams are detected they will switch on and become enabled. Where there are no subtitles, they will stay turned off.

Your last reply has confused the issue and now I'm not quite certain what you are attempting to achieve, because how you are describing your experience suggests everything is working as it should Huh.

Movies with no subtitles - subtitles not enabled
Movies with 'forced' subtitles - subtitles enabled and displayed.

In answer to your intial question - subtitles are globally turned off and when a file is played (where there is a suitable subtitle stream) they are then enabled in the OSD.
I'm probably confusing you because I too have been confused. I thought hard and forced would work the same. Now I understand better how they operate. Hard show up even when everything is disabled. Forced turn on when they need (per your description) which seems to work perfectly. I tried another forced movie and it reacted the same so that seems all good.Now I just have to figure out what is wrong with my captain phillips. Forced track 6 seems right except there is also some kind of commentary text mixed in too. but its text only as the movie audio plays correctly. Probably need to dig out the disc and do it over. I did modify MKV to at least cut out non english subs to help narrow down my list. Thanks for suffering through this with me.
(2014-10-19, 00:25)Frosty81 Wrote: I'm probably confusing you because I too have been confused. I thought hard and forced would work the same. Now I understand better how they operate. Hard show up even when everything is disabled. Forced turn on when they need (per your description) which seems to work perfectly. I tried another forced movie and it reacted the same so that seems all good.Now I just have to figure out what is wrong with my captain phillips. Forced track 6 seems right except there is also some kind of commentary text mixed in too. but its text only as the movie audio plays correctly. Probably need to dig out the disc and do it over. I did modify MKV to at least cut out non english subs to help narrow down my list. Thanks for suffering through this with me.

Check to see if you have 2 forced tracks or another track as "Default" maybe. Thats what it sounds like anyway. If thats the case just remove those flags. Worst case you can use MKVMerge (toolnix) to mux a new video file with just the single sub.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
I disabled each subtitle track competely, default, enabled and flagged and then turned them back on one at a time and none of them worked right so I just did it over from the disc and everything worked out fine. Who knows what was wrong with it :/ Everything is working great now and I now have a good idea of what I am doing and can hopefully fix all of the one I have already done and do the rest right from the beginning. Thanks again for all of your help.
LOL thank goodness for that - glad its all working correctly.

Hard subs show up irrespective of any setting within any software (because they are encoded into the video).

Identifying and flagging is sometimes the most annoying part, but I find it easier to just rip all sub streams for my chosen language, play the movie, switch on and off the subs until I identify the correct stream and then set the flag in mkvmerge\header editor.

Subtitles in Captain Phillips from memory caused me some issues - though not from a ripping angle, but a display issue - they rendered incorrectly in the wrong colour - since resolved after several rips, from the same disc - go figureHuh?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hard Subs Gotham 13.20