WOL won't work with Helix
Hi there,

I tried to update from Frodo to Helix, so far Helix looks very nice - some great improvemnts. But I have some trouble with WOL. I'm using a HTPC which I shutdown over the "shutdown menu" in Kodi/XBMC at night. With Gotham there was no problem to send a magic packet and start my HTPC over Lan, but with Helix it won't work.

So where there any changes for the shutdown between Frodo and HelixHuh I don't get it, what I'm doing wrong.
Whether your HTPC's NIC wakes it up by a magic packet (or pattern or whatever) or not solely depends on
1. its BIOS settings and
2. its settings in the Window device manager.

Any changes there, maybe an unwanted BIOS reset?
Bye,
Fry
Kodi v17.6 with shared MariaDB v10.3 | HTS Tvheadend 4.2.6 on RPi2 | running on:
Windows 10x64 | Nvidia Shield | FireTV4k | FireTVStick4 | Android 5 | RPi3 with OSMC
No, I didn't change anything.

WOL still works perfectly if I use my "old" Frodo version. So I thought, there must be something changed with shutdown process in Helix (maybe some deeper shutdwn!? sorry, I'm no expert in that kind of stuff^^).
Sorry, getting a bit lost here...

What is it you want to accomplish?

- you said you have updated your HTPC from Frodo to Helix
- then you state "with Gotham there was no problem to send a magic packet and start my HTPC over Lan"
-> from where do you send these packets using which software?
- "WOL still works perfectly if I use my "old" Frodo version" is what I don't get here: are you saying that your HTPC currently has two separate installations of XBMC/Kodi running?

If so, please check your config in your Helix install regarding what Kodi should do if you press shutdown (suspend, hibernate, shutdown...).

Also, more information about your config would make it slightly easier to think of possible problems/solutions to your case Wink
Bye,
Fry
Kodi v17.6 with shared MariaDB v10.3 | HTS Tvheadend 4.2.6 on RPi2 | running on:
Windows 10x64 | Nvidia Shield | FireTV4k | FireTVStick4 | Android 5 | RPi3 with OSMC
Sorry, with Gotham I meant Frodo - never used Gotham.

Yes, I have two installations (Frodo and Helix Alpha 4) on my HTPC (both use their own Database, settings etc. pp., so there are no interruptions between these two versions).

I usually send the magic packet through my Smartphone (WOL App or directly through the FritzBox Router user inerface).

Frodo and Helix both use the "shutdown" function, if I press shutdown in the button menu - I just looked at "power saving".

I'm on Windows 8, don't know if that matters!?
(2014-10-17, 15:52)sonic00 Wrote: Yes, I have two installations (Frodo and Helix Alpha 4) on my HTPC (...)
So if you shutdown from Frodo's button, the HTPC will be able to wake on lan (always?), but if you shutdown from Helix, it won't?

(2014-10-17, 15:52)sonic00 Wrote: (...) or directly through the FritzBox Router user inerface).
That should indeed work...

(2014-10-17, 15:52)sonic00 Wrote: I'm on Windows 8, don't know if that matters!?
Just a wild guess: do you have hybrid shutdown activated (standard with Win 8)?
Bye,
Fry
Yes if I shutdown from Frodo the HTPC will wake up, if I send a magic packet, but not if I shutdown from Helix. Don't know what u mean by "hybrid shutdown". I always shutdown from inside XBMC/Kodi.

I read some articles, and they say I have to check "Fast Boot" in Windows power saving options. I indeed have that enabled. With disabled Fast Boot, WOL works now with Helix. Don't know what that does and why I can use WOL in Frodo with Fast Boot enabled. However, now it works^^

Thanks for u re help.
Since Win 8 the OS doesn't completly shutdown if you tell it to do so.
Instead Win 8 will unload your profile, but it will hibernate the entire OS and services and drivers (and their states) onto your harddisk.
The next time you fire it up, Win 8 just will read its system state from that hibernation file and reload your profile.
Maybe there's a culprit in the way Helix is handled then - nevertheless, I know Win 8 myself, and first thing I always do is disabling hibernation.
(tipp: to do this, open an elevated cmd and type "powercfg -h off" - this will also delete the hibernation file from your hdd and will work for any user on this pc)
Bye,
Fry

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WOL won't work with Helix0