MCE remote/keyboard not working all of a sudden
Hi all,

Unfortunately I have a real strange issue that doesn't make any sense for me. Up to a few days ago I had perfectly working Raspberry Pi / Openelec installation along with a Microsoft MCE remote/receiver when all of a sudden the remote decided to stop working anymore.

I've checked the following.
* Replaced batteries.
* Tested remote on my main windows xbmc htpc center downstairs - works fine
* Tested the IR rereiever on my main htpc - works fine
* Tested the remote from my main htpc on the RPI and it works (but this is a Logitech harmony)
* Dowgraded to older Openelec versions (tried several versions) - same issue
* Installed a fresh installation on another flashcard - same issue
* Option to enable keypresses is turned on.
* Tried irw command via SSH - No response, however when I use my Logitech Harmony I do get a response.
* Tried a different RPI with a new installation.
* I have a MCE keyboard as well and I get a repsonse on some special keys like 'my videos' etc but the normal keys and arrow keys don't respond.

Atm I'm pretty much clueless as I mentioned earlier it was working fine for 2 years and 1 day to another it stopped working and I haven't changed a thing. I purchased the Microsoft keyboard/remote combo back then as it worked out of the box without setitng it up and it did untill now.

I hope someone can point me to the right direction with this weird problem.
(2014-10-16, 21:08)RavenNL Wrote: Hi all,

Unfortunately I have a real strange issue that doesn't make any sense for me. Up to a few days ago I had perfectly working Raspberry Pi / Openelec installation along with a Microsoft MCE remote/receiver when all of a sudden the remote decided to stop working anymore.

I've checked the following.
* Replaced batteries.
* Tested remote on my main windows xbmc htpc center downstairs - works fine
* Tested the IR rereiever on my main htpc - works fine
* Tested the remote from my main htpc on the RPI and it works (but this is a Logitech harmony)
* Dowgraded to older Openelec versions (tried several versions) - same issue
* Installed a fresh installation on another flashcard - same issue
* Option to enable keypresses is turned on.
* Tried irw command via SSH - No response, however when I use my Logitech Harmony I do get a response.
* Tried a different RPI with a new installation.
* I have a MCE keyboard as well and I get a repsonse on some special keys like 'my videos' etc but the normal keys and arrow keys don't respond.

Atm I'm pretty much clueless as I mentioned earlier it was working fine for 2 years and 1 day to another it stopped working and I haven't changed a thing. I purchased the Microsoft keyboard/remote combo back then as it worked out of the box without setitng it up and it did untill now.

I hope someone can point me to the right direction with this weird problem.

I have been having similar problem with my Haupauge remote on the latest builds.
It has suddenly stopped working.
You can see my questions on ''test builds for raspberry pi.' thread
No solutions at the moment.

Are you using the developer builds?

I have rolled back to official 4.2 build, and it works fine.

Milhouse narrowed down the issue to the change from developer build 1006 to build 1007.
apparently its a new kernel from then on which is causing my problem.

Anyway- sorry for all that tech garbageSmile,-main thing is - does it work if you roll back to the official builds?

good luck

pootler
Thanks for your answer.

But like I said I also tried to downgrade to various official builds and with all I experience the same problem. Last monday it was still working fine and as far as I know I was already on the latest official build and I didn't got any update. Tuesday it stopped working unfortunately. I dont use any test builds as well

Thats why I find it so strange.
(2014-10-17, 13:29)RavenNL Wrote: Thanks for your answer.

But like I said I also tried to downgrade to various official builds and with all I experience the same problem. Last monday it was still working fine and as far as I know I was already on the latest official build and I didn't got any update. Tuesday it stopped working unfortunately. I dont use any test builds as well

Thats why I find it so strange.

sorry- should have put my glasses on!

Good luck with a solution

pootler
No one who is able to assist me with this?

This issue is driving me crazy because I have tried anything I can think off.

Summary of my findings;
* Remote / IR combo works on my Windows Xbmc installation
* Tried different official openelec versions with a clean install.
* Logitech harmony remote does work on RPI
You haven't said what version you were using or what version you have tested. Vague terms such as "official builds" mean little, you could be referring to a nightly though I'm forced to assume you were using 4.2.1 when the remote last worked.

Upload the urls for the following:
Code:
lsusb | paste
lsusb -v | paste
dmesg | paste

Then try:
Code:
irw /run/lirc/lircd
and press some buttons - does anything appear in the console?
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Question 
Yes, thats correct, I'm using 4.21 atm.
With official builds i mean the official released builds for the public so not nightly builds.

I'm using the following MCE remote along with IR receiver and keyboard (http://www.geektechnique.org/images/1151.jpg). I also tested an HP IR receiver.

- I tried numerous versions all back to 3.x from here and with all I have issues (http://archive.openelec.tv/)
- Here is the info you requested

OpenELEC:~ # lsusb | paste
http://sprunge.us/CeWO

OpenELEC:~ # lsusb -v | paste
http://sprunge.us/OVaY

OpenELEC:~ # dmesg | paste
http://sprunge.us/jOOK

-
Quote: and press some buttons - does anything appear in the console?

Nothing happens with the MCE remote BUT when I use my MS Remote keyboard I only get a repsonse when using the extra buttons on the keyboard (green areas)

As I mentioned this configuration worked out of the box for 2 years with no problems. Last week monday everything was working fine and tuesday it stopped working. I'm not aware that if it installed any updates but I dont think so as the RPI is daily on so updates would have been around release date of 4.2.1

thanks!
Bump, anyone?
bump
After giving it a rest for a few weeks i'm giving it another go.

So please is there anyone able to assist me further or at least check those log files what where requested and tell me what it means and what is going wrong. Because I'm completely confused by this situation as it always worked in the past and I did not changed anything.
I have a little experience with debugging a remote - nothing springs to mind from the posted logs.
With OpenELEC i'm an ignoramus, but I do know a bit about RaspBMC, where i would turn debugging, reboot, and then monitor the xbmc log as I press keys. This shows what is happening as any keypress is detected, and can help point up why some keys work, but not others.
Derek

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MCE remote/keyboard not working all of a sudden0