Any reason NOT to go FireTV?
So I've been scanning the forums for a while, and want to know what I'm missing.

My primary requirement is a box where it is easy to flip between netflix / twitch / XBMC / Hulu / future streaming services. It needs to be able to stream blu-ray and optimally doesn't need wireless. Depending on how well it functioned, budget up to $300. I'd rather not rely on PlayOn to gain access to streaming, but would consider it if it was the "perfect" solution.

After hunting around, I've looked at and discarded the following:
NUC's - No nice navigation between XBMC and other apps. Price.
Minix / other android - Price
Chromebox - Navigation to other apps still a little clunky
Pi - not viable for netflix.
Nexus TV - Wireless only Angry

FireTV is what I see as the best option. I understand some tinkering is required.

What are the big downsides to FireTV? Are there any other "all-services" boxes that I've overlooked? I may wait for more Android TV boxes to come out, but I'm in the HTPC tinkering mood right now (it comes and goes).
If you get one that's not rootable, won't be be able to put much on it. Especially If you wanna do games. Unless you use XBMC as the launcher, can't put in Amazon launcher unless you use another programs icon. Have to go to application settings and launch it. Sky's the limit, if you can root it. Depending on what they come up with next. I'm hoping they can port Android TV to it. Too soon to know that.

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-fire-tv-b...on-amazon/
(2014-10-17, 00:35)BigB42078 Wrote: If you get one that's not rootable, won't be be able to put much on it. Especially If you wanna do games. Unless you use XBMC as the launcher, can't put in Amazon launcher unless you use another programs icon. Have to go to application settings and launch it. Sky's the limit, if you can root it. Depending on what they come up with next. I'm hoping they can port Android TV to it. Too soon to know that.

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-fire-tv-b...on-amazon/

I thought you could always side-load APK's without root? (e.g. like this)

Yeah, I knew about the program hack. Starting to think that might be a deal-breaker....I hate it when companies intentionally kill the configurability of systems.

That's a good price...unfortunately a hassle to get to Canada. If I do pull the trigger, I'll likely get a pre-rooted one off Ebay.

Right now it's either this or the Nexus TV + upgraded wi-fi...likely I'll try and hold off until something better comes out. Annoying as the systems I'm seeing now are really close to what I want, but not perfect.

Thanks for the info!
(2014-10-17, 08:19)GoodCode Wrote: I thought you could always side-load APK's without root? (e.g. like this)

You can and you don't "need" root.

Rooting will allow you to expand the storage, however, if you don't install many apps and your media library isn't excessively large, then you can get away with just having the internal storage.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
But if you have a large media library it can work with an SMB or NFS share on the LAN.... right?
So no real need for a USB linked storage for which you need a rooted FireTV that then can no longer do a upgrade?
(2014-10-17, 09:28)Willem55 Wrote: But if you have a large media library it can work with an SMB or NFS share on the LAN.... right?
So no real need for a USB linked storage for which you need a rooted FireTV that then can no longer do a upgrade?

If you're referring to path substitution for thumbnails, yes you can. But I wouldn't recommend it as it would really slow things down.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
The FTV is the best option in the $100 price range, IMO. Most do not even need root because you can use ADB to sideload almost anything. Unless you want to spend more $$ for a few more features, you really cant go wrong. It also has a very nice UI, Prime, the aps you mentioned, plus you can load your photo library, music, etc.

IMO, the google player should have a few more features like ethernet and optical audio out, but I imagine it will be easy to root and unlock the bootloaded. If you like to tinker with andriod, that may be worth it to you.

If you just need a quality streamer, the FTV will probably exceed your expectations.
Sine nexus player is a TV device I am betting that the content providers have told Google to lock it down tight so it's likely going to be near impossible to root and bootloader may never be unlocked
Downsides to Fire TV, at least to me (I have 3 around my home, but not for my dedicated home theater):
- Lack of VC-1 playback
- Some H.264 BD rips in MKV exhibit green pixellation ('The Dark Knight Rises' is an example); fine in M2TS or ISO
- No hd audio
- Only 5+ GB of 8GB storage is usable, so after a couple of big games, you run out of space
- If rootable, although you can use USB for additional app installs, it's mostly useless for games (slow loading, play)

Other than above, Fire TV is better than most Android boxes. I just tried a Probox2 EX after seeing positive reviews and YouTube videos, but was disappointed. XBMC works well, but games, mostly not, even with the supplied air-mouse/game controllers. It's basically a tablet on a TV, and clunky to navigate around. I'd expect Minix X8 to be similar.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2014-10-17, 13:28)hdmkv Wrote: Downsides to Fire TV, at least to me (I have 3 around my home, but not for my dedicated home theater):
- Lack of VC-1 playback
- Some H.264 BD rips in MKV exhibit green pixellation ('The Dark Knight Rises' is an example); fine in M2TS or ISO
- No hd audio
- Only 5+ GB of 8GB storage is usable, so after a couple of big games, you run out of space
- If rootable, although you can use USB for additional app installs, it's mostly useless for games (slow loading, play)

Other than above, Fire TV is better than most Android boxes. I just tried a Probox2 EX after seeing positive reviews and YouTube videos, but was disappointed. XBMC works well, but games, mostly not, even with the supplied air-mouse/game controllers. It's basically a tablet on a TV, and clunky to navigate around. I'd expect Minix X8 to be similar.

Hmm, green pixellation @ H264 does kind a suck. Any reason you know why this happens?

Mine is still on preorder, supposed to be delivered in about 6weeks. 49eur including shipping, wonder if I should keep it.
(2014-10-17, 13:43)freezer2k Wrote: Hmm, green pixellation @ H264 does kind a suck. Any reason you know why this happens?

Mine is still on preorder, supposed to be delivered in about 6weeks. 49eur including shipping, wonder if I should keep it.

where?
freezer2k Wrote:Hmm, green pixellation @ H264 does kind a suck. Any reason you know why this happens?
So far, only a few titles have been reported by me and others (TDKR, Bedtime Stories, and another 2-3, which I can't remember). Not a big issue.
My HT
One more issue I just came across with fire TV:
- For mpeg2, you need enable libstagefright for hardware decoding of mpeg2. libstagefright doesn't offer de-interlacing, so this may be an issue for some (e.g. see here)

I use XBMC as a front-end to a my SageTV library, so this is a bit of an issue for me. Worst case though I'm willing to re-encode all my mpeg2 stuff (prolly should anyways as I'd save a tonne of space).

Only really an issue if you watch HD live tv though.
I have libstagefright disabled (only mediacodec enabled) and live TV (via HDHomeRun and ServerMWC) looks good on my HDTV's. I'm not noticing de-interlacing issues. Wonder if the TV is doing the de-interlacing.
My HT
(2014-10-17, 14:59)grey Wrote:
(2014-10-17, 13:43)freezer2k Wrote: Hmm, green pixellation @ H264 does kind a suck. Any reason you know why this happens?

where?

This was on offer for Prime members @ Amazon.de at least for the first 3days after it came out. Now you have to pay the regular price.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any reason NOT to go FireTV?0