Any reason NOT to go FireTV?
(2014-10-27, 02:56)wrxtasy Wrote: The big downside for me is the Fire TV does not support MPEG2 decoding...that rules out Live TV in XBMC.....

http://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters/comm..._bad_idea/

That really depends on whether your TV signal is mpeg2 or not.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I'm using my FTV's to watch live TV (U.S. ATSC mpeg2) via ServerWMC/HDHomeRun backend. Generally looks fine to me.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
By the way someone mentioned you have to launch XBMC/SPMC from the applications menu. Thats not true. Some people are starting to report SPMC showing up on the device in recent after side loading. It did on one of my boxes not the other.
However for the other box i use llama and just use classic tv to launch XBMC no issues.

I have 2 of these boxes and its my favorite. The X7, X8 and others have given me issues and seems like a giant tablet on my screen not a replacement for my satellite/cable box. While i don't use the Prime stuff all the time i do like using it sometimes as its so quick to load. I like the tv apps for it IE history, smithsonian and others. They all work with the included remote no need for an air mouse or something.

My Mother in law can use it THIS IS A HUGE PLUS with the other boxes i had an X7 for awhile and didn't get it and never could figure it out i had to help her. Even in netflix because she didn't understand the air mouse and didn't like using it.
She find her way around the fire tv just fine and doesn't have an issue.

Is it the most powerful box out there? No but it works for me and i have a 2Tb NAS attached and i have no problems playing video from it.
I love the fire tv. Till Fire tv 2 comes out anyway Smile
For SPMC, that's right... although you do need to sideload to FTV, if you've "bought" it (free) off Amazon (regardless of compatibility with devices it shows), the app should appear on FTV home menu under recents.
My HT
(2014-10-27, 13:39)hdmkv Wrote: I'm using my FTV's to watch live TV (U.S. ATSC mpeg2) via ServerWMC/HDHomeRun backend. Generally looks fine to me.

Many people have said it is not up to much on deinterlacing. Any comment?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Deinterlacing option is grayed-out if I recall, but for the casual 30min to 1hr news & channel surfing I do w/live TV, the picture didn't have any artifacts that bothered me.
My HT
FireTV doesn't heat up your snacks!

I love mine. I got it for my parents and it only took me about 10 minutes to root and setup. Unfortunately, I am going to be selling it soon to build them an HTPC for their bedroom. Ive been tasked with coming up with a solution for them to get rid of their blu-ray player and to be able to easily navigate the HTPC frontend. I decided on Mediaportal for them...they just don't get XBMC and I am tired of running upstairs every 10 minutes because they accidentally minimized the video and went back to the menu. The remote also keeps finding itself underneath the bed or in between the mattress and the bedframe. That poor remote :\

Ive had it for a month and a few weeks and it's never complained about anything.
|Kodi: Nvidia Shield 2019|Media Server: Unraid 40TB|TV Tuner: HDHR Prime|Server Apps: TVHeadend w/ Cablecard (FIOS), Plex (Kodi backend), Radarr, Sonarr
(2014-10-27, 22:53)SheHateMe Wrote: FireTV doesn't heat up your snacks!

I love mine. I got it for my parents and it only took me about 10 minutes to root and setup. Unfortunately, I am going to be selling it soon to build them an HTPC for their bedroom. Ive been tasked with coming up with a solution for them to get rid of their blu-ray player and to be able to easily navigate the HTPC frontend. I decided on Mediaportal for them...they just don't get XBMC and I am tired of running upstairs every 10 minutes because they accidentally minimized the video and went back to the menu. The remote also keeps finding itself underneath the bed or in between the mattress and the bedframe. That poor remote :\

Ive had it for a month and a few weeks and it's never complained about anything.

There is a fix for that. Change the keys so that you can't minimize it. And if they think XBMC is hard to use likely using the stock confluence skin. It is a pain to use. I tok AEON NOX and designed a completly custom interface designed to make it as simple as possible to use XBMC and now my mother in law can do it.
(2014-10-27, 13:39)hdmkv Wrote: I'm using my FTV's to watch live TV (U.S. ATSC mpeg2) via ServerWMC/HDHomeRun backend. Generally looks fine to me.
Amazon have finally updated the firmware to support mpeg2 then, but de-interlacing is still a major issue when viewing mpeg2 streams. Especially for fast sports action 1080i live TV.

De-interlace discussion here:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=204218

(2014-10-28, 06:29)wrxtasy Wrote:
Amazon have finally updated the firmware to support mpeg2 then
Maybe not, could be just software decoding in XBMC using raw CPU power, with no VPU offloading involved at all.

Please double-check if hardware decoding is really being used or not for MPEG-2 decode with the latest firmware.
(2014-10-28, 11:48)Hedda Wrote:
(2014-10-28, 06:29)wrxtasy Wrote:
Amazon have finally updated the firmware to support mpeg2 then
Maybe not, could be just software decoding in XBMC using raw CPU power, with no VPU offloading involved at all.

Please double-check if hardware decoding is really being used or not for MPEG-2 decode with the latest firmware.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1759236
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any reason NOT to go FireTV?0