Linux Library update and playing videos takes multiple tries
HI,

First a bit about my setup. I have a file server with MySql set up, I then have various clients which connect to it (2 xbmcbuntu 13.2, 3 android 13.2, 1 ubuntu running 13.2, and 1 windows with 13.2). The file server is up and running all the time and never seems to have any connection issues. Its running Fedora 20 with a 6TB raid 5 setup for the files.

The issue I have is that sometimes when I go to run a video in xbmc (Movie or TV Show) it says the file no longer exists. All i have to do is select no to the removing from library question, and run it again and it plays no issues. Thats not that annoying, but its enough.

The more annoying part is that I have sickbeard and couchpotato updating XBMC and sometimes the files are not showing up. If I run the update library sometimes it will run perfectly, but sometimes it "finds" nothing, and just like playing a video, I just run it again and it works fine. This is more annoying because my automated updates are not consistent.

I know that since all of my xbmc clients are experiencing the same issue that is points to the file server, but I have run every test I can think of including network traffic tests. Its up all the time and i cannot find any hiccups on it.

I did notice that the one client (xbmcbuntu) that stays up 100% of the time, experiences this more frequently then the others.

Any ideas of where to look would be great. I going to try and get a debug log as soon as I can.

Thanks for any help!!
(2014-10-17, 03:48)shrioux Wrote: (...) I have a file server with MySql set up, I then have various clients which connect to it (...). The file server is up and running all the time and never seems to have any connection issues. (...)

The issue I have is that sometimes when I go to run a video in xbmc (Movie or TV Show) it says the file no longer exists. All i have to do is select no to the removing from library question, and run it again and it plays no issues. (...)

From my experience Kodi will only confront you with this message if it indeed can't see the paths saved in the database at the very moment it tells you this.

I would assume that your fileserver whilst running 24/7 still isn't configured to keep its drives spinning 24/7, so maybe your RAID just needs a few seconds to spin up if any of your clients wants to use it after an idle period?

You could try using "Try to wake remote servers on access" in Kodi's/XBMC's settings (System -> Settings -> System -> Power Saving), this will check the paths in your sources.xml, try to retrieve your server's MAC, send a WoL (even if it's online already) to it and especially probe the availability of the paths given in your sources.xml.

Maybe that'll make things less annoying...
Bye,
Fry
Kodi v17.6 with shared MariaDB v10.3 | HTS Tvheadend 4.2.6 on RPi2 | running on:
Windows 10x64 | Nvidia Shield | FireTV4k | FireTVStick4 | Android 5 | RPi3 with OSMC
Thank you Fry,

I will definitely try that, however I should have pointed out that this set up has been working for 4 years now. I have not made any changes to the file server, and had no issues until about a month ago. Basically once I upgraded to 13.2.

Not sure if there is something different or not in 13.2.

Like I said I will try your suggestion, it might just be what I need, however I would like to know what changed.
I don't know off hand, but it's certainly possible that the timeout periods have changed semi-recently. I had the same issue with my modified pogoplug with arch linux and USB HDDs, where the spin-up time was causing issues. The WOL settings should help you out there by increasing the timeout.
So I turned on the WOL setting and it didn't seem to help. I can also add that the issue happens even after I just finished watching a show, or doing a library update, so the RAID array should be spun up and not had time to spin down.

I fully admit that it could be an issue with my file server, I just find it strange that no other applications are showing this issue(I stream with Plex to my phone outside of the house) and it only started when I upgraded to 13.2.

Could it be Skin related? I am using Aeon Nox 4.09 (would use 5, but you can't customize it like you could 4), and I noticed that I cannot access subtitle addons with that skin anymore (they work fine in Confluence).

Im still working on logs. As its an intermittent problem I have to leave debuggin on for a while and the text it puts on screen annoys my wife, so I have to wait until I can watch tv by myself for a while, lol Big Grin
Finally got around to getting log files. They are a bit large as it took watching 3 shows for the issue to occur.

Your debug xbmc.log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=325126
Your XBMC crashlog: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=325127

Still not sure whats causing this. Anymore ideas?
Try disabling all those addons... like 3 or 4 trying to access you library all at same time
Sorry it took so long, but I got super busy.

Finally got around to uninstalling all the uneeded addons and testing, still the same issue. Its also good to note that some of the devices having the issue have no addons installed.

I am completely out of ideas. but its getting annoying.

Thank you.
Its not jsut the uneeded addons, its all of them.

You simply cant know for sure which addon is causing it until you disable all of them, use default skin/setup and test.
I have already, like I said some of my devices have only the default add ons, and skin and they have teh same issue.
It could be if your 3 devices all playing media at same time or more than 1 device and your shared mysql you facing some database access thing going on as in 1 device is gained access and is writing something to db while another is trying to gain access to db to perform similar task?

Way above my paygrade as I dont use mysql but seems to be a logical reason.

It would probably require you to test making sure the 2 other devices aren't being used at same time.

At this time I bow out as I have no interest or experience with shared mysql db setup.

Good luck.
Thank you for your time.

I have considered this already and have made sure that only one device was being used, and get same result.

Again, thank you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Library update and playing videos takes multiple tries0