New Mac Mini (October 2014) as XBMC Machine
(2014-10-19, 21:03)Willem55 Wrote: So OS X does allow DTS HD-MA and TrueHD pass through, BD (ISO).... and all this talk about running a different OS on it to make it work is nonsense?

Like I just said in my previous post, for HD audio there is nothing about it that OS X "allows" or disallows. It's a driver issue.

As for bluray, there are no such restrictions on OS X. But what do I know, I'm just watching a bluray ISO right now on Mac OS X.. maybe I'm crazy?
Look Ned if you put words in my mouth and then say I'm talking BS you're always right...

English might not be my native language but constraints does not mean purposely prevent from, restricts.... or whatever you are assuming.
Lacking a driver is a constraint. just like on android...

At least we agree that my first line is "opinion"? where I say "sounds like to me"

Now read the second line "But I'm sure that within Apple constraints xbmc/kodi will work fine for the Apple fans."
now focus on the true meaning of the word constraint...
Like not having an education might be a constraint on a career.
Like having no HD audio support is a constraint for playback of BD content.
Like having no Game port is a constraint for gaming.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/constraint

con·straint noun \kən-ˈstrānt\
: something that limits or restricts someone or something

: control that limits or restricts someone's actions or behavior

No HD audio support restricts the user from playing DTS HD-MA and Dolby True HD
No Game port restricts your gaming action..

here's a Dutch teaching English to a American..
Stop assuming Ned and stop flying of the handle each time you think your pet device gets criticized.
I forgive you the insults..

Peace
Look, Williem

Even if you don't speak english as your first language, we all know what you were trying to say, so again, don't bullshit me. Being a condescending little asshole to the staff isn't a good idea.

I don't even like the new Mac Mini.

Come back in two days when your ban expires and try to behave.

EDIT: If the message has been received, I'm willing to unban early.
Smile

Life is a spinning wheel

End of ot
(2014-10-20, 01:53)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-10-19, 21:03)Willem55 Wrote: So OS X does allow DTS HD-MA and TrueHD pass through, BD (ISO).... and all this talk about running a different OS on it to make it work is nonsense?

Like I just said in my previous post, for HD audio there is nothing about it that OS X "allows" or disallows. It's a driver issue.

As for bluray, there are no such restrictions on OS X. But what do I know, I'm just watching a bluray ISO right now on Mac OS X.. maybe I'm crazy?

Ned,
What is the difference between a bluray iso and say an mkv bluray rip?

Pros and Cons of each on XBMC on Mac OS? I never truly understood the difference but then again I have not tried ISO at all.

Apologies to all if this is straying from the main topic of discussion.
An MKV is just the main feature in a single video file, while an ISO can more easily contain the entire contents of the disc, such as extras and other weird stuff. Personally, I prefer just using MKVs, but some people want to preserve more of the disc.
I used to think I wanted iso's cuz I wanted to preserve the extra value in the extras.

I've found that the extra value usually was nil. I then used MakeMKV to make MKVs Tongue from all of my iso's.

I've been much happier ever since.
I am using a 2012 Mac Mini for my XBMC set up (among other things). It is tethered to a Harmony Smart Hub, and I run 2 networked drives with media on them. I do not use the Mac Mini's internal HD for media storage at all. If you are a Mac-centric person, you will enjoy the simplicity of it all. Sure, you can get cheaper boxes to run XBMC. But the awesome-ness of this machine never crashing or never needing restarted from a crash puts it a jillion miles ahead of the former 'droid box I used previously. Plus, if you use Time Capsule, your settings and other nuggets are preserved in the event of an XBMC catastrophe.

You won't have the qualityof build in a cheaper solution in my opinion, and comparatively, any "mini-peecee" I have seen are NOT upgradeable in regards to memory and expansion. The Mac offers many caveats you can't get in a hundred dollar box.

That being said, if all you need is a box to run XBMC and nothing else, why would you want the Mac?
Exactly, when a 2820 NUC or a 2955 Chromebox both seem to be in the order of $150US.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Even less! I only paid $130 CDN for my HP Chromebox direct from HP. I suspect some great deals will be had on the HP and Asus Chromeboxes on Black Friday and Cyber Monday, and frankly they're perfect little 1080p XBMC boxes at an unbeatable price. I'm tempted to outfit every TV in the house with one!
(2014-10-21, 06:52)Sunflux Wrote: Even less! I only paid $130 CDN for my HP Chromebox direct from HP. I suspect some great deals will be had on the HP and Asus Chromeboxes on Black Friday and Cyber Monday, and frankly they're perfect little 1080p XBMC boxes at an unbeatable price. I'm tempted to outfit every TV in the house with one!
Not just 1080p, but the 2955 even supports 4K*!

*4K content must be encoded in x264.
(2014-10-21, 09:11)DrowningApe Wrote: Not just 1080p, but the 2955 even supports 4K*!

*4K content must be encoded in x264.

Oh really? My Chromebox is waiting to get hooked up to a 4K TV... wasn't planning on actually using it for anything 4K, but I guess I'll have to test that now!
Can either the 2012-generation or this latest generation of Mac Mini do 24p under OS X?

Off-topic (but I didn't start it)...Can that $180 HP Chromebox do 24p? Can it play VC-1 or MPEG-2 high-def/high-bitrate content smoothly?

Personally, I can live without HD audio, but I would like 24p and full support of high-def/high-bitrate HD video, whether it be encoded in MPEG4, MPEG2, or VC-1.
I'll refrain from any post in this thread until the Forum rules are updated to reflect the reason I was banned.
This Forum needs to state in advance what forum user behaviour is tolerated and what not.
Freedom of speech and opinion should be guaranteed.
Taking measures against someone, not for what he said, but what you think he was trying to say or any assumed intentions.. is way beyond what could be expected on any forum and is scary.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Mac Mini (October 2014) as XBMC Machine0