Acer Revo R1600 replacement due to sound issues
Video 
Hi all,

My Revo R1600 (The original Revo) has been giving great service as an linux/XBMC box for many years, happily driving 1080p video and dvd playback while also acting as a music server and running lots of home automation scripts at the same time. Best piece of kit I ever bought, despite the multiple HDMI audio issues. It's showing no signs of ever wearing out!

The only outstanding issue I have is lip syncing is always slightly off over HDMI. I recently bought a tv that can do 24p input and the lip sync issue is much worse when I let it drop to 24p (picture smoothness is great though naturally). As you can imagine, this doesn't go down well in the household! I don't really understand it but I gather there are problems with the first gen Nvidia Ion and HDMI audio timing and there's nothing much that can be done.

Therefore: Time for an upgrade! What can I replace it with that's cheap? I don't need quiet or fanless but I do need low power consumption. As I'm upgrading I'd like something that can handle 1080p 3D blurays. Does that mean i3? Are there cheaper options?

I'm having the merry devil of a time finding something that's still available to buy in the UK and I'm drowning in a sea of confusing none-options. I don't have a particular budget - just the cheapest option that can do 3D. It doesn't need storage (that's what my NAS is for) and I'm happy with barebones options. When did nettops get so confusing?

Any suggestions gratefully received. Smile

EDIT: TL;DR: I want nettop recommendations that can do 1080p+3D, preferably barebones (but not totally self built). I'm apparently incapable of keeping it short!
You didn't say what OS you want to run and it looks like you're buying at the wrong time, I looked for a friend with similar requirements to you a couple of months ago and there seemed to be some good bargains around,
looking now they all seem out of stock.
The best I can find now and its not barebones or a nettop but it is mini itx is this at £169:99 :-
http://www.ebuyer.com/643322-zoostorm-de...-7260-8003

I'm not sure about 3D playback on it though (a very quick Google search seems to suggest it would but I wouldn't take that as read), it has an Intel Celeron Dual Core 1037U Ivybridge CPU 1.8GHz in it and I'm sure if its a box that interests you someone more knowledgeable than me can answer that question about it.

Otherwise I'd say go for a NUC or Brix although if you don't want to run Linux or Openelec you'll have to factor in the cost of the OS too on those
Hi, I'm a linux user. Ubuntu specifically as it's what I'm familiar with.

That Zoostorm looks like a really good buy but I'm not convinced it would be right for bluray 3D playback. It's really hard to work out what the baseline is but I'm guessing either Nvidia/AMD gpu or i3? If anyone could shed any light on the matter, it would be really handy.

Thanks.
If youre upgrading only because of audio sync issues you can configure audio delay based on the source material frame rate.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.xml#video

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Acer Revo R1600 replacement due to sound issues0