Solved XBMC on Lubuntu 14.04 LTS - laggy playback
I have a compaq presario 1505us. I installed Lubuntu 14.04 LTS and then XBMC since my laptop is not 64 bit. I ripped a VCD to 480p mp4 and it works but there is a loss in framerate.
Any help is appreciated.
Debug Log Debug Log lalalalala :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
debug log: xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=321166

Also, though not important, can someone help me make Lubuntu boot to XBMC? I tried the method on xbmc.org but X starts before xbmc and xbmc crashes.
What method is that? The best one is upstart script xbmc.conf in /etc/init with contents like https://gist.githubusercontent.com/uNive...314666/raw
I have used the method you mentioned. XBMC does start but then crashes because my GPU is too old. I need to set a mesa variable MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.0 and then start XBMC,

Thanks for the help so far
just write it before the xinit command into the file mentioned.

Code:
exec su -c "MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.0 xinit /usr/bin/xbmc --standalone -- /usr/bin/X -nocursor -bs -nolisten tcp :0" $USER

Make sure no other "login" process is running, cause the mentioned upstart script starts an xserver itself.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Essentially like below. minding what fritsch said.

Code:
# xbmc-upstart
# starts XBMC on startup by using xinit.
# by default runs as xbmc, to change edit below.
env USER=xbmc

description     "XBMC-barebones-upstart-script"
author          "Matt Filetto - Tweaked by uNiversal"

start on (filesystem and stopped udevtrigger)
stop on runlevel [016]

# tell upstart to respawn the process if abnormal exit
respawn
respawn limit 10 5
limit nice 21 21

script
  #No cursor and no backingstore (bs fixes tearing)
  #exec su -c "xinit /usr/bin/xbmc --standalone -- /usr/bin/X -nocursor -bs -nolisten tcp :0" $USER
  #No cursor only.
  #exec su -c "xinit /usr/bin/xbmc -d --standalone -- -nocursor :0" $USER
  #No cursor no backing store & mesa override
  exec su -c "MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.0 xinit /usr/bin/xbmc --standalone -- /usr/bin/X -nocursor -bs -nolisten tcp :0" $USER
end script
Thanks a lot. Worked perfectly. But how can I solve the playback issue? I also noticed that when i press "o" and pause video playback, the missed counter increases. Also, will switching from mp4 to mpeg 2 help?
post your Debug Log.

If your GPU cannot accelerate video decoding, the only thing you can do is enable Multithreaded CPU decoding (Video -> Acceleration, choose Decoding Method: Software)

If your CPU also is too slow -> throw the computer away.
If the above fritsch suggested works, consider marking this thread as solved. Big Grin Full edit main post and select soved issue from left hand drop down menu by the subject line.
How can I solve the playback issue? I also noticed that when i press "o" and pause video playback, the missed counter increases. Will switching from mp4 to mpeg 2 help?
(2014-10-18, 17:48)sireesh Wrote: How can I solve the playback issue? I also noticed that when i press "o" and pause video playback, the missed counter increases. Will switching from mp4 to mpeg 2 help?

By reading what fritsch said just above.

(2014-10-18, 16:03)fritsch Wrote: post your Debug Log.

If your GPU cannot accelerate video decoding, the only thing you can do is enable Multithreaded CPU decoding (Video -> Acceleration, choose Decoding Method: Software)

If your CPU also is too slow -> throw the computer away.
I installed Kodi 14 and tweaked a few settings and now, the cpu (pentium 4, single core) can decode at 720p30 without any issues. That is good enough for me. Thanks for the answers.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on Lubuntu 14.04 LTS - laggy playback0