Feasibilty of addon for live translate chosen words in subtitles while watching
TL;DR: please read just the bold text

Hi guys.
I live in a country where English is not my primary language, but it happens that all the media I watch is (obviously enough) in English.
Most of the times I can't wait for people to translate and release subtitles in my language (it's Hebrew), because many times it can take several days and more (sometimes it's never)..
So, in recent years I'm just watching all the movies with English subtitles which helps a lot in understanding compared to just hearing.

This is all good, but it's a fact that at least 5% of the words in every movie\TV episodes is new to me... some of those words keep repeating in the movie I current watch, and some appear in many movies, but I don't bother to translate them while watching because of time it takes, and it's not very convenient sitting with a mouse and keyboard while watching.. and it's especially inconvenient if you don't have a separate screen for that process. So it happens that many of those words I just skip... I can understand their meaning from the context usually, but knowing the exact translation would be so much better. Also it can be excellent learning experience.

So what I was thinking is an addon that would allow you, during playback, press some button on the remote which will pause the screen and trigger a small (floating) menu with all of the words in the current frame from the subtitle currently in use. it can also view words from previous frame (or should I say previous subtitle line), just in case the user pressed that button 2 seconds late. Next to each of those words appears its translation from google translate, or maybe some local dictionary file or something... I really believe this kind of addon would be very much appreciated among people like me , and it will also allow foreigners to learn English better (after all, when you translate a words that you really need to USE [in contrast to just memorizing words with no cause] you have high chances that you'll remember it, and if it appears later again, those chances are just getting bigger).

So to my question - is this kind of addon feasible with the XBMC addon framework? Is it considered complicated?
Just want to know if I'm not just spending my time going over the documents for addon development....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Feasibilty of addon for live translate chosen words in subtitles while watching0