Req Error Dialog when MySQL database is not reachable
Hi
I currently run several installs of XBMC soon-to-be-Kodi 13.2 around the house. I have a shared library running on a MySQL server, which works great. However on my Raspbmc install, I have the issue that the system boots too quickly and so wireless networking is not up by the time XBMC starts up. The way it works now, it looks for the MySQL server at startup time only, and not afterward. So if the wireless is slow to boot up, my Movies/TV libraries aren't visible when it starts, and there's no way that I can see to have it retry.

To the end user, this is frustrating to diagnose. It looks like the library is erased, or there's some issue with the MySQL server, or wireless networking in general. It would be a lot easier to diagnose if there was a clear warning (right now it just dumps an error to the logfile, which is hard to get to for a regular user).

I think a good solution would be at startup to check whether a remote library is set up in advancedsettings.xml, and if yes, check whether it's visible. If not the system should pop up a warning dialog that allows the user to retry. Another option would be to delay startup of xbmc until wireless networking is started up. Right now this is what I do by changing the "start on" line in xbmc.conf, however this is a bit of a kludgy solution since it means it won't boot up at all until networking is present, which makes it hard to diagnose a genuine problem with networking if that's what's happening. The better behavior (IMO) is to boot up no matter what, but kick out a warning if the library isn't visible.
The proper solution is to delay xbcm start till your network is up. This is up to the user or in case of raspbmc - the distro. Look in the linux help forum, its been asked and answered multiple times.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Error Dialog when MySQL database is not reachable0