Maximizing performance on the Pi for XBMC/Kodi
I've just updated the wiki with some better (and more recent) advice for getting the most out of XBMC on the Pi. I tried to think of all the things I tend to do whenever I make a new Pi install:

Raspberry Pi#Maximizing performance

Feel free to give feedback on this section, tell me anything I've missed, or feel free to join the wiki and make changes directly.
Thanks, those are some useful tips. Can I recommend also mentioning Raspbmc (rather than exclusively Openelec)? In my experience I've found it much snappier and stable than Openelec. It responds very well to overclocking as well.
To be honest, I'm skeptical of that. I believe both distros have their place, but most people seem to agree that OpenELEC seems to have a slight edge when it comes to UI responsiveness.
I've used Frodo and Gotham on both OpenELEC and Raspbmc and I can say from my experience that Raspbmc performs much better. Sam and Miappa do a great job optimizing it for the platform.
@ned Scott

There is some stuff in this thread, it is pretty specific to OpenELEC but there is some other stuff in there too like the IO scheduler.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=201354
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
Pre-loading the texture cache can help the UX, although in most cases this shouldn't be necessary if the scanner has done it's job properly and the Pi isn't being used in a MySQL environment. When the Pi is being used in a MySQL environment it's unlikely to be the "scanner"* so it will be missing all the new artwork when the user goes to use the Pi, in which case pre-loading the cache can make a big difference to performance.

* I guess most people might use their most powerful kit to scan the library although once the library has been scanned the first time, the Pi is perfectly capable of being used to scan only new media pretty quickly (particularly if it's only reading local metadata).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2014-10-18, 22:49)Ned Scott Wrote: To be honest, I'm skeptical of that. I believe both distros have their place, but most people seem to agree that OpenELEC seems to have a slight edge when it comes to UI responsiveness.

I'm curious as to how "most people" has been quantified?
(2014-10-19, 04:52)ActionA Wrote:
(2014-10-18, 22:49)Ned Scott Wrote: To be honest, I'm skeptical of that. I believe both distros have their place, but most people seem to agree that OpenELEC seems to have a slight edge when it comes to UI responsiveness.

I'm curious as to how "most people" has been quantified?

Probably by Ned being on the kodi team and spending a truck load of his time on here, reading posts and helping people.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-10-19, 05:03)nickr Wrote: Probably by Ned being on the kodi team and spending a truck load of his time on here, reading posts and helping people.

I don't see how that results in hard numbers of users for each distro in order to make such a comparison.
I think it is probably a matter of impression as much as anything, but in Ned's case a well informed impression.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Please, I'm more interested in Ned's response to my question (if he chooses to) than what anybody else "thinks he meant."
What an objectionable person you are.
(2014-10-19, 06:06)nickr Wrote: What an objectionable twat you are.

Is name calling really warranted here? Do the mods here allow this?

I asked a simple question and now i'm being accosted because I refuse to accept a non-answer from a 3rd party??
Sorry I will delete the t word from my last post.

And just to clear I don't think you'll find hard answers. It would be unusual to find someone who has gone to the trouble of setting up identical hardware and library environments just to test.
(2014-10-19, 06:06)nickr Wrote: What an objectionable person you are.

I think it's just a twist on Poe's Law kicking in. I don't think he meant any offence. :-)

I imagine ActionA, like myself, is surprised to see OpenELEC be declared an objective 'winner' of the two distributions. I can only go by own experience, but I really really found OpenELEC to be more sluggish as well as having a lot more bugs (and headaches). I switch back to it from time to time to see if it's improving but I always return to Raspbmc as I find it is superior with respect to speed and polish.

Maybe Ned Scott knows something we don't, but it's sad to see such a nice project like Raspbmc be dismissed like that. With that in mind it would be nice to know what he's basing this on. Is it anecdotal or he made some survey? For me, I wouldn't like Raspbmc's quality work to get a bad name unfairly. That's all :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Maximizing performance on the Pi for XBMC/Kodi1