Wake on Access issues.
Hello,

I use the latest stable Gotham build on an Ubuntu HTPC that uses the media from my Windows 7 desktop share. This has worked without problems for several months. Since some weeks the following problem occurs though:

- I want to play a file, but XBMC starts the Wake on LAN process although my Desktop is online and I can access the SMB share.
- If I wait then, XBMC will report that it failed to wake up my dekstop (that is running anyway) and file can not be found. It then asks if i want to remove that file from library (no!).
- If i try to play the file again it now works without problems.
- After watching this video it get thrown back to the main menu and not like usual to the episode list.
- Next time i want to play a video the same problem may occur.
- I can cancel the Wake on Lan process instantly and play the video just fine afterwards aswell.

I get this problem nearly every time i want to play a File. Sometimes it just works fine though but i can't figure out why that is.

Debug log

Maybe someone has i clue what this is causing or can help me fix it.

Greetings
Sebs
Can you try to ping Win 7 from Ubuntu?
If you are getting timeouts, then you need to check your Win 7 firewall settings (make sure that your local network is defined as a private one) and/or need to asure that the Ubuntu machine is member of the same workgroup as the Win 7 desktop.
You may also consider using your HTPCs IP instead of its dns name, just to avoid possible problems there.

Your log indicates kind of a blocked network...
Code:
NOTICE: WakeOnAccess timeout/cancel while waiting for network
Bye,
Fry
Kodi v17.6 with shared MariaDB v10.3 | HTS Tvheadend 4.2.6 on RPi2 | running on:
Windows 10x64 | Nvidia Shield | FireTV4k | FireTVStick4 | Android 5 | RPi3 with OSMC
Thanks for your Answer Fry7.

Ping works just fine using Hostname or IP. Windows 7 network is set to private and both systems are in the same workgroup.

This setup used to work just fine and i haven't changed any network configuration that i am aware of.
Ok i just noticed something:

I added my video sources in XBMC by "browse Windows Network (SMB) > Workgroup > MACHINE (My desktops hostname) > TvShows

Now i added the same source by adding manual sbm path with the ip sbm//:192.168.178.22/TvShows.

After adding that sources there showed up two notifications.

First: Mac discovery failed for MACHINE
Second: Mac discovery succesfull for 192.168.178.22 (Ip of MACHINE)

Gonna try to change all my sources and see if the problem persists.
Btw: you could do that without Kodi by editing your sources.xml directly:

Code:
<sources>
     <video>
          <default pathversion="1"></default>
              <source>
                    <name>Movies</name>
                    <path pathversion="1">smb://192.168.178.22/TvShows/</path>
              </source>
              <source>
                   <name>TV</name>
                   <path pathversion="1">smb://192.168.178.22/Movies/</path>
              </source>
     </video>
</sources>

A little faster Big Grin
Bye,
Fry
Kodi v17.6 with shared MariaDB v10.3 | HTS Tvheadend 4.2.6 on RPi2 | running on:
Windows 10x64 | Nvidia Shield | FireTV4k | FireTVStick4 | Android 5 | RPi3 with OSMC
It looks like this is because of name instead of ipaddress, yes. There is a fix under way for that problem, here ; https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/5341
I hope/suppose it goes into Helix
This thread hasn't been touched in a while. I am hoping there is going to be someone still maintaining it who might be willing to comment and help.

I have a slightly weird topology. Bear with me while I describe it.
I have a NAS with:
  1. eth0 interface address - 192.168.10.50 (MAC: 00:1F:33:EA:4D:DF)
  2. eth1 interface address - 192.168.5.50 (DNS Name: nas.l33ch.xh ; MAC: 00:1F:33:EA:4D:DE). 
The Kodi player lives in the 192.168.10.X subnet.

The way that I want my Kodi setup is so the player's data comes from nas.l33ch.xh; and WOL / WOA requests are sent to 192.168.10.50 address. That is to say, I want WOL/WOA traffic to stay in the same subnet as the player, and all other media data should come from the other subnet.  I would have thought this should work by defining my wakeonlan.xml file (see below) with simply a mismatched MAC address for the NAS.  That didn't seem to work.

I have confirmed that the
Code:
ether-wake 00:1F:33:EA:4D:DF
command works for manually bringing the server up when being run from the Kodi CLI. For whatever reason, I have been struggling to get the WOA configuration working so WOA packets are sent when opening a media media file. Any suggestions or ideas on what I have would be greatly appreciated.

My wakeonlan.xml file: /storage/.kodi/userdata/wakeonlan.xml
Start Log: Debugging Start Log + WOA Access attempt

* Before anyone suggests it, I do understand that switching everything to a single subnet and makes this much easier and does work, although this is something I am trying to intentionally avoid doing. Thanks preemptively for your help and feedback.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wake on Access issues.0