Linux ASRock Mini / Gotham 13.2/Helix
I was doing a first test on my AVR - but i do not see any picture - sound could be heard.
Anything to be configured, when move to another screen (or AVR) from a PC screen attached during setup?

Update: it's working now. Everything runs as expected - even DTS-HD und Multichannel FLAC on 96kHz - Perfect - THX
My Equipment:
HTPC (i7-8700K 3.7 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD) Windows 10 with Kodi 18.6 & Central SQL DB (Maria DB)
AVR Emotiva RMC-1 & AMP Emotiva XPA9-Gen3, TV LG OLED 65 E6, BD oppo UDP-203, Speaker Revel Performa3 F208 / F206 / C208 / Nubert WS-14 for Atmos/DTS.x)
NAS Synology DS1817+ / DX-517/DX513 (4x8 TB RAID5 + 2 x 5x6TB in RAID5)
(2014-10-21, 07:55)fritsch Wrote: - EAC3 is not supported on SPDIF devices. It needs HDMI.
- Multichannel output (pcm mode) needs HDMI, too. SPDIF is limited to 2 pcm channels, but can do AC3 and DTS as those are virtual formats with encoded data.

All I know is that some videos have been playing at full 5.1 and some only stereo. I don't know how to determine which might be providing AC3 or DTS

(2014-10-21, 07:55)fritsch Wrote: - Some settings are only chown _if_ the devices in PA sense are configured correctly (e.g. ac3, dts enabled with pavucontrol)
- When you use Pulse and have EAC3 option there, you did not configure pavucontrol correctly for your SPDIF device.

I have absolutely no idea what you mean by this. I thought pavucontrol is the thing that is showing those checkboxes. It is called PulseAudio Volume Control and in the configuration tab there are only two choices that will use the SPDIF output:

Digital Stereo (IEC958) Output + Analog Stereo Input
Digital Stereo (IEC958) Output

I use the first so I can record things from my FM radio tuner now and again. All the other options are for analog or HDMI output. I don't know how else I could possibly have configured it.

(2014-10-21, 07:55)fritsch Wrote: Basically, we use the soundserver that you have installed, you are using, your desktop is using and your complete desktop applications is using. If you want Frodo behaviour, just start xbmc with:
Code:
AE_SINK=ALSA xbmc

and done - no pulseaudio will ever going on your nerves.

WOW! And suddenly recordings that were only playing stereo are now playing with full 5.1 audio AND I didn't need to change a single setting in XBMC, it just worked!

THANK YOU! I just wish there was a checkbox in the XBMC configuration to force the use of ALSA like this, I'll bet you guys would have seen a lot fewer people having problems getting their sound working under Linux. I know you are probably going to tell me that this is buried on some documentation page somewhere, but seriously, a lot of users only turn to documentation as a last resort because there are so many pages of documentation and it is difficult to find an answer to your specific question. For example, I might have searched on "why isn't my 5.1 sound working?" because I would not have known to ask the more specific question, "how can I force XBMC to use ALSA rather than PulseAudio." Not all Linux users are the slightest bit familiar with the difference.

I'm going to try running it this way for a few days before I say it's the ultimate solution but in my preliminary testing, everything I tried to play just worked, with 5.1 audio if the original recording contained it! This is nothing short of amazing considering I have been trying to figure this out for months now!

Thank you again!
then again, this is all very well documented in the wiki Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ASRock Mini / Gotham 13.2/Helix0