Help with url nfo files for individual TV Shows.
Ok, firstly I know im going to get various feedback for my naming but I have various devices connected in various ways and its the only way to get it to display correctly on good old fashioned unintelligent file lists programs.

I will choose one show so you can see the issue but this is an issue in other shows as well, Dr Who, the show has various seasons with lots of specials in between the seasons which progress the story and so needed to be watched in order. My files are therefore sorted and named like this -

Doctor Who (2005) - 0112 - Bad Wolf - Part 1.avi
Doctor Who (2005) - 0113 - The Parting of The Ways - Part 2.avi
Doctor Who (2005) - 0113b - Born Again (Children in Need).avi
Doctor Who (2005) - 0114 - (Special) The Christmas Invasion.avi

So i basically tag a letter onto it if it is between episodes or make it a new number if its at the end etc. This as you can imagine makes the scrapped go no nuts and tries its best to cope.

I thought the solution would be simply to create an nfo file for each one with a url pointer, but can I get it work, can I hell! for example, the born again one, I created the nfo file, put it in the same folder as the episode (although I have also tried the root folder of the season) with the url only it (http://thetvdb.com/index.php?tab=episode...&id=306975) the scrapper just adds it as another copy of 0113 Sad

Im probably doing something stupid (other than using a non standard naming) but it makes life so much easier if the kids and partner can simply just choose the next file down on the devices that arent as clever as xmbc and I get so much less nagging, its ok for the pc in the front room as it has xbmc on it once its indexing it correctly Smile

Many thanks in advance Smile

Oh and the nfo file is named exactly as per the episode but ends in nfo, and I get the same result in Kodi Sad
If you want to keep that file name structure then your only option may be to create a full NFO file for each episode and use the local nfo scraper. Sort of a pain for the first file but most of the information is duplicated from one episode to the next so if you use a text editor that supports stationary then it will take a lot of the work out of it.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
Do nfo files not work for individual episode files then?Sad Thoughts i was just doing something silly :/
could you please paste the nfo file....maybe we see something strange in it.

Normally you could add a show/episode to your library by only filling the ID in the nfo like:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<tvshow>
<id>place the ID from the episode in here</id>
</tvshow>

The rest would be done by the scraper.

You don´t have to switch to "use local NFO only". XBMC/Kodi will always check if a nfo file is present...if not it will try to scrape online. In this case (by having a NFO file), XBMC will recognize it and see that a nfo is present, then see, there is an ID in this file and will be "linked" (through the ID) to the episode you want. You only have to take a look which ID should be taken. It´s in the link from TheTVDB.com

For example:

The link to "Born Again (Children in need) is:

Code:
http://thetvdb.com/index.php?tab=episode&seriesid=78804&seasonid=26260&id=306975

and for "The Christmas Invasion" it is:

Code:
http://thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=78804&seasonid=26260&id=311603&lid=7

For "Born Again" the ID is "306975" and for "The Christmas Invasion" it is "311603"

Hope I could help

Greetings
The nfo for the children in need one is just literally the link -

http://thetvdb.com/index.php?tab=episode...asonid=262

The file names are -

Doctor Who (2005) - 0113b - Born Again (Children in Need).avi
Doctor Who (2005) - 0113b - Born Again (Children in Need).nfo

And are in the same folder which at the moment is -

Doctor Who (2005)
Series 1

So if I create the nfo file as above it will use that ID to grab the rest of the details?

Just cant get it to work and did find through excesive googling there was an issue with individual episodes nfo files not working but that was 3 ish years ago Confused

Tried this and it didnt work Sad

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<tvshow>
<id>306975</id>
</tvshow>
ignore me...I switched episode to tv show....

sorry

But how about creating a complete nfo file and put in the info for yourself?

http://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/TV_episodes

a nfo file for this could look like:

Code:
<episodedetails>
        <title>Born Again (Children in Need)</title>
        <rating>10.00</rating>
        <season>Specials</season>
        <episode>1</episode>
        <plot>The newly-regenerated Doctor explains to a disbelieving Rose that he has regenerated. </plot>
        <thumb>http://thetvdb.com/banners/episodes/78804/306975.jpg</thumb>
        <playcount>0</playcount>
        <lastplayed></lastplayed>
        <credits>Russell T. Davies</credits>
        <director>Euros Lyn</director>
        <aired>2005-11-18</aired>
        <premiered></premiered>
        <studio></studio>
        <mpaa></mpaa>
        <epbookmark></epbookmark>
        <displayseason></displayseason>  <!-- For TV show specials, determines how the episode is sorted in the series  -->
        <displayepisode></displayepisode>
        <actor>
          <name></name>
          <role></role>
        </actor>
        <fileinfo>
          <streamdetails>
            <audio>
              <channels>6</channels>
              <codec>ac3</codec>
            </audio>
            <video>
              <aspect></aspect>
              <codec></codec>
              <durationinseconds></durationinseconds>
              <height></height>
              <language></language>
              <longlanguage></longlanguage>
              <scantype></scantype>
              <width></width>
            </video>
          </streamdetails>
        </fileinfo>
    </episodedetails>

This should be a working nfo for the episode "Born Again (Children in need)". Not much info in it (because I don´t know anything of the streaminginfo of your file...you will know best)...but it should work, if you name it exaclty as the episode file...

Greetings
@David1977
You've got a typo on plot> should be </plot>.
@HouseVod
I think this is a fairly good solution for this sort of problem. Manually creating NFO files isn't much fun, but if you save the empty NFO as a template it takes most of the work out if it. You might also consider using a media manager to do this for you.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
Thanks for the hint....done Wink
Don't forget, you also need a "tvshow.nfo" in the root directory of the tv show to actually add that particular tv show into the library, otherwise even if you create episode nfo files, they won't be added.

http://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/TV_shows
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Really trying to avoid the manual nfo file solution if I can, I have, uhm a few thousand files to sort!

I copied and pasted the details into the nfo file to make sure it was actually seeing it and it does add the deails from the nfo file into the library (although my naming of the file still seems to override the season and episode number) the rest goes in fine, it just seems to have an issue with being told the url manually Sad
I have tried changing the season to 0 and episode number to 1 but it still inserts it in XBMC as season 1 episode 13, as if the file naming is taking priority over the nfo file, maybe this is why the url isnt working?

PHP Code:
<episodedetails>
        <
title>Born Again (Children in Need)</title>
        <
rating>10.00</rating>
        <
season>0</season>
        <
episode>1</episode>
        <
plot>The newly-regenerated Doctor explains to a disbelieving Rose that he has regenerated. </plot>
        <
thumb>http://thetvdb.com/banners/episodes/78804/306975.jpg</thumb>

<playcount>0</playcount>
        <
lastplayed></lastplayed>
        <
credits>Russell TDavies</credits>
        <
director>Euros Lyn</director>
        <
aired>2005-11-18</aired>
        <
premiered></premiered>
        <
studio></studio>
        <
mpaa></mpaa>
        <
epbookmark></epbookmark>
        <
displayseason></displayseason>  <!-- For TV show specialsdetermines how the episode is sorted in the series  -->
        <
displayepisode></displayepisode>
        <
actor>
          <
name></name>
          <
role></role>
        </
actor>
        <
fileinfo>
          <
streamdetails>
            <
audio>
              <
channels>6</channels>
              <
codec>ac3</codec>
            </
audio>
            <
video>
              <
aspect></aspect>
              <
codec></codec>
              <
durationinseconds></durationinseconds>
              <
height></height>
              <
language></language>
              <
longlanguage></longlanguage>
              <
scantype></scantype>
              <
width></width>
            </
video>
          </
streamdetails>
        </
fileinfo>
    </
episodedetails
OK, just done some testing on the laptop running Kodi, if the file is named corectly as 0001 it will happily scrappe it to the correct episode, however, if I rename the file to some random numbers for example 0303 and put the url in it wont link it, if I put manual details in an nfo file stating season 0 episode 1 it will take the details in but the information in the nfo file is 'overwritten' saying its season 3 episode 3. If i remove the numbers completely it doesnt want to play at all.

So it seems the file name is being referenced when it tries to use the nfo file, if the nfo file has details in it it still uses the season and episode from the file name, so can only assume it has a hissy fit if the url points to something different to the interpretation of the file name.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help with url nfo files for individual TV Shows.0