Req Shared MySQL but individual played flags and timers
Hi,

I was hoping to find a solution to this issue. We have a central MySQL DB server and all clients connect to it. We have a number of clients. I want to be able to watch a program on client one and have the watched flag set against that client, so that another client that has not watched that episode yet will still see it. I also would like client one to be able to stop and resume independant of other clients. So in theory all clients could watch the same episode and all could stop and resume independently of each other from the correct place in the media.

I probably have not explained this very well, but it is causing an issue. I can see that there would need to be some MySQL work done to record the IP address of the client against the episode and set flags and timings at that level rather than at the episode level.

It may be that this can be done now, but I cannot see how to do it!

Cheers
Spart
6 x Raspberry Pi Model B & B+ Pi2 & 3 Zotac Mag Ubuntu 14.04.1 - Ubuntu 14.04.1 Test Machine Kodi Nightly - RocketNAS 8TB Usable Raid 6 Ubuntu 14.04.1 RocketNAS Build
Theres really no major reason to use MySQL if you don't specifically want shared watched and resume marks. Just set up individual libraries. You can use exported NFO and image files to ensure an identically set up library across devices.
(2014-10-21, 23:37)Ned Scott Wrote: Theres really no major reason to use MySQL if you don't specifically want shared watched and resume marks. Just set up individual libraries. You can use exported NFO and image files to ensure an identically set up library across devices.

Actually it doesn't seems to me. If you have 3 or more kodi devices having to scan everytime is a very annoing solution.

@sparticle
this is probably a solution for your problem:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=196821
If you are individually triggering those database updates, then sure, that would be annoying, but there are countless ways around that. Scheduled library updates, download managers that trigger updates specifically within XBMC/Kodi, heck, it wouldn't be too hard to actually make an add-on where one XBMC instance would poke all the other XBMC instances on the network to do updates all at the same time. There's really no reason the user even has to be aware that these are technically multiple different databases being used.
(2014-10-22, 03:45)Ned Scott Wrote: If you are individually triggering those database updates, then sure, that would be annoying, but there are countless ways around that. Scheduled library updates, download managers that trigger updates specifically within XBMC/Kodi, heck, it wouldn't be too hard to actually make an add-on where one XBMC instance would poke all the other XBMC instances on the network to do updates all at the same time. There's really no reason the user even has to be aware that these are technically multiple different databases being used.

All this starting from the assumption that all kodi instances are running 24h/24. It's a fair assumption only for the server not for all instances. If they're off you can plan the update when you want, even start the library update at startup but you still need an update when you turn it on for every machine.
That's not a great solution at all..
Only for large numbers of videos per update on the slowest devices. Find all the edge cases you want, I'm just telling you why MySQL support was added; for sharing a single database wholesale, especially watched and resume points.

In any case, it's all a moot point. MySQL is on death row and will be replaced in the future, so this request won't likely be taken up.
(2014-10-22, 21:40)Ned Scott Wrote: Only for large numbers of videos per update on the slowest devices. Find all the edge cases you want, I'm just telling you why MySQL support was added; for sharing a single database wholesale, especially watched and resume points.

In any case, it's all a moot point. MySQL is on death row and will be replaced in the future, so this request won't likely be taken up.

If you have X devices you will have to scrape X times. The edge case is to have X non-server devices running 24h/24 so you don't have to wait the scraper. Doesn't matter how slow or fast is the scraping is still something you have to wait when you start kodi for every new media and in every device.
I know that probably mysql is dead and the idea for future sharing (that might also solve this user's problem) but you can't say it's the same thing to have separate db because it's not. Not even close.
Also the topic i linked provides a very good way to obtain it with a shared mysql database. It's not kodi native but it works well.
*shrug*

XBMC/Kodi has been able to scan-on-startup pretty fast for me, to the point where I don't normally think about it. Especially with the v14 changes that have sped up scraping. Which isn't to say that everyone's library updates are the same, as sometimes there's situations were things take longer than they should.

If MySQL works for someone in this situation of not needing shared watch status and needing to take extra steps to keep that separate, then all the more power to them. I just don't want people to think that they must use MySQL if they're using more than one XBMC/Kodi box in the same house. Sometimes people take the long route to fix an easy problem, but maybe MySQL is still better here.

EDIT:update/startup typo
I scrape my meta data to disc with external tools and have my Kodi installs scrape from local nfos and local artwork then.
^- that ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shared MySQL but individual played flags and timers0