Solved Why XBMC crashes on some JPG's ?
Hi folks! Smile

I'm running XBMC on a Linux Mint 16 MATE
(yes I know 16 is old, but sorry, so far, I cannot install v17,
because I just moved to another location and my hardware
is still not completely available again, yet).

I just noticed, XBMC crashes when I try to use it to display some of my localy stored JPG's.
Some other JPG's (local ones, too) do work great.

This issue doesn't seem to be related to the size of the JPG's
(and it happens only within XBMC, not Mint itself).

Anybody by any chance got an idea about how to fix this, please?

Here's my crash report (username of my home directory is hidden):
[code]############## XBMC CRASH LOG ###############

################ SYSTEM INFO ################
Date: Fr 17. Okt 16:08:39 CEST 2014
XBMC Options:
Arch: i686
Kernel: Linux 3.11.0-12-generic #19-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 9 16:12:00 UTC 2013
Release:
Distributor ID: LinuxMint
Description: Linux Mint 16 Petra
Release: 16
Codename: petra
############## END SYSTEM INFO ##############
XBMC (12.0-RC3 Git:7a6cb7f), pretty old by now and not even the final release 12.0.
You should update to a recent version. In any case, please follow the guidelines for posting logs http://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Easy
(2014-10-22, 01:50)MeatGrinder Wrote: XBMC (12.0-RC3 Git:7a6cb7f), pretty old by now and not even the final release 12.0.

and the debian cannibalized version, which we never supported
(2014-10-22, 08:49)wsnipex Wrote:
(2014-10-22, 01:50)MeatGrinder Wrote: XBMC (12.0-RC3 Git:7a6cb7f), pretty old by now and not even the final release 12.0.

and the debian cannibalized version, which we never supported

They really should label their versions differently... is there any form of GPL that require them to do so? It's how libav is packaged as ffmpeg in Debian... It's a lie.
The GPL is a software license. It sets the rule of how a third party can use/do with the software. that is all.

However "good" news. Team kodi has taken a mozilla. So you will see the iceweasel version of kodi in debian dont you worry.
(2014-10-22, 09:18)ironic_monkey Wrote: The GPL is a software license. It sets the rule of how a third party can use/do with the software. that is all.

However "good" news. Team kodi has taken a mozilla. So you will see the iceweasel version of kodi in debian dont you worry.

Thank god for that. Debian has disappointed me several times lately.... I hope that this is just a phase, I don't really think we need more forks of Debian - though who knows...
Regarding XBMC, my software manager is offering version 2:12.0~git20130103.0959-rc3-0ubuntu4 to me and it is telling me that version is installed already.

(EDIT: sudo apt-get install xbmc doesn't help either, because it says it in the terminal, too, this version is installed already)

What should I do now, please?
Is there a solution anyway, or do I really have to update to LM 17 MATE first?

Please note:
I'm not an experienced Mint user, yet.
I came from WinXP when it died earlier this year.

(EDIT2: I don't understand, why is my crash report edited?)
"(EDIT2: I don't understand, why is my crash report edited?) "

because logfiles should be pasted on a pastebin site like: www.xbmclogs.com

You will get a link then which you can provide. The reason for this is, that logfiles can be very huge and they are hard to read in a forum posting. So please paste the log on a pastebin site and provide the link.

Greetings
(2014-10-22, 14:36)Centauri39 Wrote: Regarding XBMC, my software manager is offering version 2:12.0~git20130103.0959-rc3-0ubuntu4 to me and it is telling me that version is installed already.

(EDIT: sudo apt-get install xbmc doesn't help either, because it says it in the terminal, too, this version is installed already)

What should I do now, please?
Is there a solution anyway, or do I really have to update to LM 17 MATE first?

Please note:
I'm not an experienced Mint user, yet.
I came from WinXP when it died earlier this year.

Google & the Kodi wiki are excellent sources for information Wink

Anyways, what you need to do is add the team-xbmc repository (online software store for Ubuntu based distro's), then update your local software database to include the new repository and finally install xbmc using that updated list.
so, in a terminal window you need to do

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc

If after the update you want to check which version will be installed, do this (again in a terminal window)

Code:
apt-cache policy xbmc xbmc.bin

This will show you the installed version and any candidate versions to be installed. If the candidate version is later than the installed version, then apt-get install will update the installed version to the candidate. If they are both the same version (as in my case below) then nothing will be updated.

Quote:apt-cache policy xbmc xbmc.bin
xbmc:
Installed: 2:13.2-27317~99e1f74-ppa1~trusty
Candidate: 2:13.2-27317~99e1f74-ppa1~trusty
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Linux mint petra is based on EOL linux version by doing the above you will get the last version of xbmc officially available for that which will probably be v13.0 you will need to upgrade your linux to recommneded 14.04 LTS if you want any newer than 13.0 else try some non offical ppa, but then like for e.g ppa:nathan-renniewaldock/xbmc-nightly

Ultimately if v13 doesnt fix it you need to test with v13.2 and if that doesnt fix it then only kodi v14

V13.x while supported is not going to get any bugfixes anymore.
OK, now I have 13.1 and the JPG issue is fixed.
Thanks everybody! Big Grin

Btw, if I had found the wanted information, I wouldn't have asked here... Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why XBMC crashes on some JPG's ?0