Bug OpenELEC RPi 4.2.1 does not transcode 5.1 AAC files to Dolby
Hello,

I upgraded my 4.1.6 installation to 4.2.1 and noticed a regression: I can no longer transcode AAC 5.1 audio to Dolby.

Previously, I had "5.1" configured as the number of channels and "Enable Dolby Digital Transcoding" selected. Now I can only see the transcoding setting if I configure as "2.0" channels. But in this case, my receiver gets a 2.0 PCM stream.

Is anyone aware of a regression in the AAC 5.1 transcoding support for the Pi? This was working perfectly fine before.

Thank you for reading, cheers,

Cirruz
I don't believe anything has changed.
If you are connected via hdmi then set channels to 5.1 and you will get multichannel PCM output from AAC.

Transcoding to ac3 has always been too cpu intensive for the Pi and is unnecessary with a hdmi connection.
Hello popcornmix, thank you for your quick reply.

I am using HDMI to a Yamaha RX-V475. This receiver is incapable of decoding AAC 5.1 audio, like most receivers.

Previously, with 4.1.6 I had to enable 5.1 channels and the transcoding option to be able to hear AAC 5.1 audio. My receiver would get a PCM 5.1 stream.

Since I upgraded to 4.2.1 I can't get AAC 5.1 audio at all. When I set the number of channels to 5.1, I get a PCM 5.1 stream on my receiver but no sound. When I set to 2.0 and enable the transcoding option, I get a 2.0 PCM stream.

One interesting thing to note: when I enable/disable the passthrough option while playing a film, I hear a loud static noise and then OpenELEC eventually freezes.

Thank you,

Cirruz

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC RPi 4.2.1 does not transcode 5.1 AAC files to Dolby0