Gotham - HDCP Support
Hello,

Simple question...
I have bought some shows and movies off of iTunes and I would like to play the via my XBMCbuntu setup.

Currently using Gotham on a mini pc....
Asus Eee Box PC Computer EB1012P
2GB Atom
CPU D510 Dual Core 1.66ghz
nVIDIA ION GT218-ION GPU
Not sure of the audio card but I have it running through HDMI through my AV receiver.

with a DYNEX 48 inch LCD TV.

For some reason the files I have work on my laptop but when I transfer them over to the NAS they will either play audio, video or nothing at all. Any help would be great.

Thanks
XBMC cannot play movie files with DRM on them.
Thanks Ned. I appreciate the quick response. That kinda sucks but no big deal. I will either just play those on my laptop or iPad if needed. Maybe one day in future they will support it.
unlikely
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
@truehack2, just a comment to clarify some terminology Smile

HDCP is a form of content protection which is used within the digital connection between your source device (PC/HTPC) and your sink device (monitor).
HDCP can be found on DVI, DP and HDMI connections.
HDCP is not part of, or embedded within, the video file stored on either your HDD or your BD polycarbonate disks.
HDCP is, primarily, provided by your graphics card and monitor hardware.

Getting around HDCP needs special hardware.
The legality of such hardware is questionable in many jurisdictions.

DRM is a form of content protection and content managment.
DRM is embedded within the video file on your HDD or your BD/DVD polycarbonate disk.
DRM requires a DRM capable player to allow playback to occur.
DRM can define under what conditions you are actually allowed to watch the movie you purchased.
DRM only exists because of licensing requirments (for example to use the BD logo and get BD decrypt keys you must 'infect' your device with the required BD DRM).

Getting around DRM needs software capable of stripping the type of DRM used from within the 'infected' video/audio file itself.
The legality of such software is questionable in many jurisdictions.

So, to be strictly correct, your post title should be changed to "Gotham - Apple DRM not supported?" as this is more alighed with the issue you actually have Confused

As a side, Cinavia is an audio watermarking technology.
Cinavia is embedded within an audio track.
Supposedly Cinavia does not impact the audio quality.
Cinavia can be found on BD polycarbonate disks.
Cinavia requires software to make it work (that is, to look for it and act on it).
BD licensing requires BD players to be 'infected' with this Cinavia DRM.

Cinavia is used to define under what conditions you are actually allowed to watch the movie you have purchased.
The current status is that Cinavia will not allow you to watch a RIP of your BD polycarbonate disk on any licensed (and Cinavia infected) player.
Your locked into viewing the movie you have purchased in the way the copywrite owned dictates (that is use the BD disk with a licensed BD player - nothing else is acceptable).
Cinavia seems to be making it into all sorts of devices (due to licensing issues it seems).

And it's the same issue with Apple DRM.
Apple DRM limits your abilities to watch what you have bought by requiring a locked up and DRM infected software player.
You can play Apple DRM movies on PC's with DRM capable players (just not sure if the player must be from Apple itself).

XBMC (or Kodi as it's now called) is a video player (with lots and lots of great features).
XBMC comes to you without any DRM infections of any kind (since they don't need to licence anything from the BD cabala they are not forced to include such infections) Smile
XBMC does not have the ability to strip DRM from files during playback.
And likely due to the current state of laws around the globe, we will most likely never see DRM stripping features implemented directly within XBMC.

So if you have DRM infected movies, try using google to find software that is able to strip that DRM from your files.
Hopefully such software exists and goesn't have any trojans within.
Only then will you be able to enjoy your movies on non infected players like XBMC.

In my case i use MakeMKV to strip the DRM from my BD's so i can make a backup of main movie (i don't care about Cinavia for the moment)....
If MakeMKV ever disapears, i will simply stop buying BD's...
I don't buy anything from Apple...
I'm a XBMC novice :)
Nice sumup. Just one addition. Its not only that we don't need to infect XBMC with DRM capabilities. We most important don't want it. And secondly important we can't because DRM capability is nothing which just can be implemented. Its about encryption, unknown private keys and closed specifications. There is no way for doing it. (and its against the spirit of open source projects).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham - HDCP Support0