Building a Thin Mini ITX HTPC with 10bit support
Hope its okay to open another thread, since I decided to build a HTPC now.

I decided to build a HTPC now and use it as a mediaplayer. I read a lot about it today, but still couldnt figure out what CPU would be the ideal CPU for 10bit encoded files. I checked some of my files and the biggest bitrate they have seem to be at about 12Mbit/s. Those are also 10bit encoded files.

1. So what CPU would be best used for those? An i3 or one of the AMD FX ones?
2. What would be a good mainboard for one of those?
3. How much RAM would it need if its just used as a videoplayer?
4. What CPU fan would keep it quiet?
5. How much W should the PSU have?

The biggest question though is about the CPU. I really am not sure what is best used for 10bit files.
Thanks for any suggestions and help Smile
the N2820 NUC can run 10bit but you are maxing the cpu out. if you bump up to the higher NUC versions it will run fine.
Yeah. But the NUC cost already about 150€ here. I think if I build it myself I can get better results with the same money.
(2014-10-23, 14:03)Sharillon Wrote: I think if I build it myself I can get better results with the same money.

It'll be touch-and-go. If you're willing to buy second hand parts and/or don't care what it looks like, yes you can do it for <€150. But not a lot less than €150. If you want in i3 for <€150, good luck, let us know how you get on. Thin-mini-ITX for <€150?? Will be very interesting to see what you come up with.

While we're on the subject, what was wrong with the responses you received in this thread?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=206958
Yeah. I dont really care how it looks like. I am in China next month again so I can get the parts a bit cheaper, though the NUC costs more there. So I think its better to build one myself.
There wasnt anything wrong with the responses in the thread. Just checked and the NUC seems to be a bit more expensive here and in China, especially the i3 one.
And I dont want to buy a tablet to play my files on.
I am grateful and thankful for the respones though Smile

The biggest question I have now which CPU would be sufficient for hi10p encodes? Would every i3 work, even the low-end ones? I wonder if I should buy an i3-4150, but I am not sure if that would be overkill.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Building a Thin Mini ITX HTPC with 10bit support0