Best PVR for newbie - and my initial problems w IPTV Simple Client
So I am VERY new to XBMC in general - and kinda stumbled upon the simple IPTV by trying to find a simple live tv EPG set up.

In a perfect world -

I live in NYC - I'd like an EPG that was similar to the channels on Time Warner (I realize this may not be possible).

I don't think recording options are available yet - but I could be wrong.

I tried the IPTV - and it seems that I just can't get the right live tv link and EPG link to sync and work correctly -

Is there advice? Is there a better PVR/EPG set up ?

I have been culling thru these pages and getting inundated with a tremendous amount of information - -

I realize we all hate newbie questions - but we are all beginners at some point - -

The IPTV sub forum doesn't really seem to have a guide for setting it up correctly - and it also seems that the EPG link that everyone was using is no longer being updated.

I dont' need 1000 channels from all over the world. I can use mashup for that - if I ever want to venture there... Just the standard 100 or so channels and a true EPG guide.

Any suggestions ?

And by the way - please talk to me like I am a moron when explaining how to set it up - as I said I am a newbie (and I am sure most of you already feel this way) Smile
40 reads, no replies?

Would love a suggestion or two.
I use DVBLogic (paid product) as a PVR backend which aggregates my 4 tuners and also feeds the EPG via the Digiguide plugin. The aggregated tuners and EPG can then be served to multiple devices (XBMC on Windows, Android, iPad etc). I run the DVBlogic server on the same PC that I run XBMC on. Using a VPN connection on my Synology NAS I am also able to use XBMC remotely including streaming all my live tv.

I use the DVBlogic XBMC PVR plugin to get live tv along with full EPG in to XBMC. I use the Aeon Nox MQ5 skin which has a nice GUI. I am able to series record, time shift etc from the EPG in XBMC.

There are other PVR backends out there (search the XBMC wiki) which will do a similar thing but some of them require linux skills which I don't really have.

Below is a screenshot of the EPG

Kodi 16.1 on main HTPC Win 7 64-bit, 8 GB RAM, Quad Core 2.4 Ghz
3 x Pi2 running Kodi 16.1 (OSMC)
TVHeadend PVR server providing Freeview HD and Freesat HD
I appreciate the reply. I was hope for a non pay answer Smile
I use Next PVR (http://www.gbpvr.com/)
And use mc2xml to generate the xmltv file
http://mc2xml.hosterbox.net/ (the FAQ has instuctions on how to use the two programs together)

Best of all its free

edit: Oh and I use an Antennae and one of these usb tv tuners (http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-TVW750USB-...roduct_top(
Really, it depends on the OS you are running. TVHeadend is great under Linux and supports lots of tuner options including PCI cards and usb tuners, although its always best to check your tuner is supported under Linux before investing in one. It's not difficult to install and is all administered via a web browser.

Can't really comment on windows backends as I've never used any.
Learning Linux the hard way !!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best PVR for newbie - and my initial problems w IPTV Simple Client0